Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragonball Kai dub?

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Alright, there is at least one case of dialogue being changed in the TV version. In clip 5, Bulma's line about how they're gonna enjoy being at Roshi's house without Yamcha was changed to, "Can you believe it? He went out with another girl!" However, in the clips shown yesterday from the convention, she didn't say that.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Is that different music? Roshi seems to be enjoying his white paint. At least these days we have a fully uncut release for sale.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:01 pm

The music is probably the same.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Did they edit out Bardock's scar? Ha ha oh man I can't wait until someone starts "DragonBall Kai Uncensored".
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Mmm... a nice frothy mug of... white paint. Wow, they didn't even do a good job editing.

Also, still not a fan of Chi-Chi's English voice.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:24 pm

...Milk...missing scar...no blood...no pervy Roshi?...They should have gone to Adult Swim. They could have done uncut, and more people would still watch it than a channel few have (I'm one of them, though, lol).

Sigh... Oh well, more uncut DVD for me.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:30 pm

wow thats sad, not even blood stains on the face?

it really is a shame because most people will watch it on TV rather than buy the DVDs, so theyll get a much worse impression.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Nicktoons website wrote:Now Playing:
Dragonball Z Kai: Prologue to Battle! Clip 4
Description:
Don't mess with Vegeta!
Someone wasn't paying attention.

EDIT- ok, so watched through the rest of the vids. Still liking the people I liked before. Radditz is still mediocre, Chichi's voice unfortunately sounds the same as it did before, and just hearing that little bit of cackling from Freezer made me wince a little. But hell, still a huge improvement. FUNi Goku now makes me smile ^^
Last edited by Velasa on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Can't wait to see what happens to Tenshinhan's arm. And Freeza's.... everything.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Anyone who was expecting beer, all the blood intact, and pervy Roshi on the TV broadcast had unrealistic expectations.
I wasn't expecting the milk edit to be that poorly done, but in the end this release doesn't affect me in the slightest beyond getting to judge the vocal performances before I buy the Blu-rays, so I could care less about how much is edited.

Though, the Bulma line being changed intrigues me. Is the edited dub gonna go back to bad jokes and corny dialog too?
Last edited by DemonRin on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:49 pm

I was really considering ordering Nicktoons but after watching the clip of their edited Dragon Ball Kai I think I'll just be sticking to the blu-ray home releases.
FOREVER FORNEVER

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Just think of it as a preview of the dub's voice performances and buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray if the quality of the dub helps you decide.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:54 pm

The edits are no different to what Toonami did to numerous Gundam shows, Tenchi, etc.

Makes sense for the TV cut.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Now that it's more apparent, something else I can mention I learned from Sabat a while back: The Nicktoons version will be pretty much devoid of "any mention of death".

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Ouch... next dimension? I mean, even Cartoon Network allowed the mention of death in Season 3 if I recall. I mean, I know they tried to avoid it, but they didn't take it out every time did they? Oh well.
Last edited by bkev on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Now that it's more apparent, something else I can mention I learned from Sabat a while back: The Nicktoons version will be pretty much devoid of "any mention of death".
I demand HFIL.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Mewzard wrote:...Milk...missing scar...no blood...no pervy Roshi?...They should have gone to Adult Swim. They could have done uncut, and more people would still watch it than a channel few have (I'm one of them, though, lol).
Yeah, because Dragon Ball is totally for adults, right?
­

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Taku128 wrote:
Mewzard wrote:...Milk...missing scar...no blood...no pervy Roshi?...They should have gone to Adult Swim. They could have done uncut, and more people would still watch it than a channel few have (I'm one of them, though, lol).
Yeah, because Dragon Ball is totally for adults, right?
I'm more amused at the belief that he thinks Funi wanted it on AS, or AS wanted it.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Now it should really remind you guys of the Saban era DBZ dub. :lol:

Not even 4kids had an issue with scars though. The hell is that about?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 pm

DemonRin wrote:Anyone who was expecting beer, all the blood intact, and pervy Roshi on the TV broadcast had unrealistic expectations.
Still, I remember back while watching it on TV, their faces were covered in blood at least. That was never removed, I still remember it from the Goku vs. Majin Vegeta fight and many other fights where they were covered in blood.

As long as it wasn't blood in motion, it was ok. You never saw people coughing blood, or any type of blood flow, though.

But still, this is ridiculous. I don't understand what the big deal is anyway. Do they really think that kids don't see shit even worse than this?