Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:48 pm

I don't see foreign names being too high up on the list of things that need to be done. Maybe filtering them so that the H-word leads to Mr. Satan, but otherwise I hardly think it should be the first thing worked on.

I mean, we're going to have a hell of a time deciding stuff like 'Goku', 'Gokuu', or 'Gokû' should be the name of the article or not. :sweat:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:58 pm

I think alternate translations/transliterations belong in a sidebar and that ones belonging to the general consensus in the article. As for dub mistakes, well... does it warrant its own subsection in an article, or just part of the sidebar? I'd be happy for General Tao to be forgotten; I mean, come on, they even went with Mercenary in the original series' dub.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 pm

I think maybe a few general things might be worth collecting, just for the sake of clarification, but, for the most part, I think it would be better for the most part if dub changes and precedents were rightfully ignored.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:31 am

I think that maybe a separate article called "Errors in Other Adaptions of Dragon Ball" where the plotholes of other dubs are listed would be fine.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:13 am

Tamagon wrote:I think that maybe a separate article called "Errors in Other Adaptions of Dragon Ball" where the plotholes of other dubs are listed would be fine.
I think "Hercule" should lead to this page.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:24 am

JulieYBM wrote:I don't see foreign names being too high up on the list of things that need to be done. Maybe filtering them so that the H-word leads to Mr. Satan, but otherwise I hardly think it should be the first thing worked on.

I mean, we're going to have a hell of a time deciding stuff like 'Goku', 'Gokuu', or 'Gokû' should be the name of the article or not. :sweat:
I say use "Goku" because that's the most well known, but not "Gokû" because circumflexes are not commonly used on the internet and almost never on Wikipedia.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 am

Currently, would it be easier to fix up the wikia site, or start from scratch on our own?
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:44 am

Herms wrote:Figured I'd revive this thread, since this topic seems to be coming up a bit as of late. So two main questions:

1.) What is the current status of the Daizenshuu EX wiki project? Is any progress being made to bring this to fruition?

2.) What possibilities are there to improve the current DB wikia? Is there any way we could appeal to its administrators to enforce stricter standards to ensure that all articles are written in a grammatical and coherent style, and prevent people from posting random speculation and complete BS? Or if that won't work, are there some administrators for Wikia in general we could ask to step in and fix things? Because as-is the DB wikia is not a helpful or reliable reference source for any sort of DB fan.
If we want to save some, or a lot of time, i can convince the admins to (for lack of a better word) piss off. I've been on the wiki for a long time, dealing with their bullshit. All it's a matter of then is making some minor page movements, redirects, and a few edits throughout articles.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 am

There is little desire to work with some outside system like the pre-existing DB Wikia. If you read through some of the stuff we've talked about in this thread (and one prior, I think), we talk about a system that ties in with the community/forum registration system already existing here, so we have control and accountability directly linked with things.

The whole point is that we can do better on our own, and I'd rather literally own the system it's running on than be at the mercy of not only some outside community, but a business model behind some random company hosting it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:24 am

Good idea, but it will take a lot longer, depending on how many people contribute.

Would it be a closed wiki, or free to edit?

EDIT: Because, if it's free to edit, then chances are people from DBWikia (excluding myself) will try come and screw everything up by doing it "the right way".

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 am

I've been running my website for 12 years now. "Time" doesn't matter to me.

The current plan is to have it "free to edit", but tied to a registered account on this community/forum. That provides one extra layer that people need to pass through, which we know cuts down on the vast majority of bullshit just by having that extra step.

Read back through the thread. All of this information is already in here.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Right-o then. So they'd have to be members here. If they were banned on the wiki, would the ban be active here too?

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Would this wiki use the Creative Commons license that Wikipedia uses?

I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I'd be hesitant to edit a wiki without a similar license.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:40 am

Greenman wrote:Would this wiki use the Creative Commons license that Wikipedia uses?

I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I'd be hesitant to edit a wiki without a similar license.
I'm down for that.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Couple things I'm just jotting down / tossing out there. We're either going to need to dig around for very specific plug-ins that have been developed (I can't be the only one out there looking for this kind of stuff), or get some nice programmers on board:

- Tweaker posted up a wiki/phpBB3 bridge way earlier in the thread, and since the board is all upgraded, it's totally feasible now. That's awesome.

- I still really want an option for the admins to tick that would put a "The current version of this article has been vetted by administrators for accuracy" splash/banner/message up at the top of a given article. It accomplishes a couple things -- it shows that HELLZ YEAH we know what we're talking about, it shows that people actually care enough to put up that kind of message, blah blah blah.

- I definitely want some kind of option to tick if users are being constantly corrected for grammar here on the forum and/or the wiki that would disallow further editing. If they can't write, I'm sorry, but that's just too goddamn bad for them. No more writing in a more-public and authoritative state.

- RE: Creative Commons -- Yeah, I understand the importance of that in today's Internetz world and would be on board for it. I'd wanna look at very specific alterations of the license to see which would work best in this case (something along the lines of a non-commercial, share-alike, some rights reserved), but yes.

- I'm not really concerned with bans. It's such a rare thing. There's enough of a hurdle to registration that, just like the forum as it is today, you just don't get the raw number of annoyances that require anything more than our current administration setup to deal with it.

- I'd really like everyone to review the names and branding images suggested so far. I know it's 20 pages, but please give it all a re-read. I need to solidify that stuff, and while I can be running test serves elsewhere, I'd like to know where it's all heading so I can talk and purchase with the necessary people.

- Obviously going to need a general style guide, not just for writing and of course naming conventions, but also for images (I noted before how we'd exclusively use Dragon Box screen shots unless otherwise necessary), types of articles, etc. This will (obviously) end up getting its own sub-forum for discussion down the road, but think about (and maybe even draft up) things that you think would work. In terms of naming conventions, it's going to be a mash-up of what we already use on Daizenshuu EX and Kanzentai, so deal with it mo-fos.

There's other stuff in my head right now, but it hurts and I have work to do :P.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote: - RE: Creative Commons -- Yeah, I understand the importance of that in today's Internetz world and would be on board for it. I'd wanna look at very specific alterations of the license to see which would work best in this case (something along the lines of a non-commercial, share-alike, some rights reserved), but yes.
This is very nice to hear. Everything about the wiki sounds fantastic.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote: - I still really want an option for the admins to tick that would put a "The current version of this article has been vetted by administrators for accuracy" splash/banner/message up at the top of a given article. It accomplishes a couple things -- it shows that HELLZ YEAH we know what we're talking about, it shows that people actually care enough to put up that kind of message, blah blah blah.
Tick box? No. Tag? Doable in 5 seconds. If you have someone *cough* *COUGH* make a template box for it, you/anyone else you add it to an article with a simple calling tag like {{admin verified)) to the article in question.
VegettoEX wrote: - I definitely want some kind of option to tick if users are being constantly corrected for grammar here on the forum and/or the wiki that would disallow further editing. If they can't write, I'm sorry, but that's just too goddamn bad for them. No more writing in a more-public and authoritative state.
Sounds easy in theory, it'd just be a wiki-ban which you'd be able to do from the control panel on the wiki. Again, it wouldn't be quite as simple as a tick box but you can revoke editing rights pretty easily.
VegettoEX wrote: - Obviously going to need a general style guide, not just for writing and of course naming conventions, but also for images (I noted before how we'd exclusively use Dragon Box screen shots unless otherwise necessary), types of articles, etc. This will (obviously) end up getting its own sub-forum for discussion down the road, but think about (and maybe even draft up) things that you think would work. In terms of naming conventions, it's going to be a mash-up of what we already use on Daizenshuu EX and Kanzentai, so deal with it mo-fos.
You'll also need to consider what style to use for infoboxes (what goes in them, in what order, how big the image will be in them and so on) and other templates (related articles, aforementioned admin verified box, other boxes calling attention to, say, a need for images in the article, or sourcing).

Still I'm getting pretty excited for this, or as excited as I can get being a wizened old git.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:29 pm

I too am excited. One point I may or may not have brought up before is in relation to character articles. Would the main picture stick by the rule of Dragon Box footage or would an out of series piece (say one of Gokû at all ages) work? Then again, an article is likely to contain several screen shots likely to be captioned with when and where that picture took place, so I suppose that would make the discussion null and void).

Swell idea incorporating an admin approval feature. I assume that means you, Julian, Heath, and Jake?

In terms of terms, will the Daimao or Mato terms play any part, or are we going for raw "This is what we're used to" stances on the subject? Will this apply to episode titles too?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 am

I can't wait for this. It's going to be really fun for me. Plus it gives me a reason to go to DB wiki members and say "suck on that!", and then finally people will have a place to get proper info on everything DB/DBZ/GT.

I'd be more focused on editing pages about races, planets, transformations, and fusions. What do you guys intend to focus on?
Last edited by Silver Sinspawn on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:00 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:I'd be more focused on editing pages about races, planets, transformations, and fusions. What do you guys intend to focus on?
Umm... the facts? :|

What is DBZGT? Is it a new series?! ... Yay! You fixed it!
Last edited by Hujio on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::