DBZKai not coming to the UK via Nicktoons.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

DBZKai not coming to the UK via Nicktoons.

Post by SSJSteve » Tue May 25, 2010 1:33 pm

I just received an unexpected e-mail...
Nicktoons UK wrote:Hi there! Thanks for your message to http://www.nick.co.uk - we're sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

Unfortunately we won't be showing Dragonball Kai on Nick here in the UK. While the programme is being shown on NickToons in America, the series was only bought for Nick in the USA and not for the channels outside America.

Don't worry, though - even though we're not showing it, you might see the series on a different kids channel, like Cartoon Network or somewhere else. We don't have any know where the series will be broadcast in this country, but we think there's a good chance you'll get to see it somewhere before too long!

Hope this answers your question - sorry again to keep you waiting for a reply!
I really wasn't expecting that e-mail.

Well it's good and bad news as you can see. We won't be getting DBZKai from Nicktoons, but there's a chance we could get it through Cartoon Network.

Sorry is this doesn't deserve a new thread, thought it was pretty exciting news! :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: DBZKai not coming to the UK via Nicktoons.

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:36 pm

I find it weird that an official company has trouble with grammar. "We don't have any know where the series will be broadcast in this country"? Hm. Apparently there's a rumor that the Ocean dub guys will have their own DBZKai thing going on. Other than that, I'm sure that something will work out. It's just that America seemed to get first dibs on it. It's still brand new, give it a few months.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Tue May 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Is Nicktoons a common channel in the UK? Comparable to Cartoon Network? In the US Nicktoons is only available to cable subscribers who pay for a higher priced digital subscription, whereas Cartoon Network is available to everyone with cable/satellite.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Tue May 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Greenman wrote:Is Nicktoons a common channel in the UK? Comparable to Cartoon Network? In the US Nicktoons is only available to cable subscribers who pay for a higher priced digital subscription, whereas Cartoon Network is available to everyone with Cable/Satellite.
I think you have to pay for Nicktoons over here, same as America. If I remember correctly, Cartoon Network used to be free, I'm not sure if you have to pay for it now.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Tue May 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Perhaps any interested channels are holding out for the Ocean dub? If Ocean studios is dubbing Kai, the UK seems almost as likely a candidate as Canada.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 25, 2010 4:33 pm

I'd be really interested to see if this does mean an Ocean dub of Kai.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 26, 2010 9:37 am

SSJSteve wrote:
Greenman wrote:Is Nicktoons a common channel in the UK? Comparable to Cartoon Network? In the US Nicktoons is only available to cable subscribers who pay for a higher priced digital subscription, whereas Cartoon Network is available to everyone with Cable/Satellite.
I think you have to pay for Nicktoons over here, same as America. If I remember correctly, Cartoon Network used to be free, I'm not sure if you have to pay for it now.
Cartoon Network used to be free but you get all the kids channels in the Kid's pack anyway.

I'd say it's likely Kix will show it, they're showing Digimon Data Squad now but that was from a few years back, it would fit well with their line up. They still show Medabots too I think.

Cartoon Network may show it since it was the ONLY channel other than CNX or Toonami to air Dragon Ball stuff.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed May 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Well I got a reply from Nicktoons:
Nicktoons UK wrote:Hi Steve! Good questions. I guess it’s possible, if it was really popular in the states, that it could change things here, but generally speaking NickToons in the UK is a slightly younger channel than NickToons in America, so not all the programmes work as well for us. Nothing is impossible though.

But in all honesty we think it’s most likely that the series will be picked up by another channel. Obviously we don’t know, because the other channels don’t share their plans or schedules with their rivals, but as you say Cartoon Network could be a good candidate, especially as they’ve shown lots of the DBZ series in the past. We’d be quite surprised if they didn’t get it, certainly. But only they could tell you for sure!

Hope this helps. Thanks again!
I hope Cartoon Network will air DBZKai. :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Boy it's really nice of him to promote his competition by saying they'd probably get it lol

That's actually a pretty good answer. But my theory on it is again, US had first dibs. Give it a few months and ask again. It's not like Nick Toons in the US was playing the series for half a year, it's a brand new show.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed May 26, 2010 12:31 pm

There's no point in asking Nicktoons UK again, they won't be airing it over here. Might have to get in contact with Cartoon Network. :lol:

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed May 26, 2010 3:37 pm

What if their answers the same?

And if the music and script changes are accurate..I don't see why anyone would care(it's like 1996 ocean again)

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed May 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:What if their answers the same?
Then I would give up. :lol:

If Cartoon Network don't get DBZKai, what other channel would?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 am

SSJSteve wrote:Well I got a reply from Nicktoons:
Nicktoons UK wrote:Hi Steve! Good questions. I guess it’s possible, if it was really popular in the states, that it could change things here, but generally speaking NickToons in the UK is a slightly younger channel than NickToons in America, so not all the programmes work as well for us. Nothing is impossible though.

But in all honesty we think it’s most likely that the series will be picked up by another channel. Obviously we don’t know, because the other channels don’t share their plans or schedules with their rivals, but as you say Cartoon Network could be a good candidate, especially as they’ve shown lots of the DBZ series in the past. We’d be quite surprised if they didn’t get it, certainly. But only they could tell you for sure!

Hope this helps. Thanks again!
I hope Cartoon Network will air DBZKai. :)
Now that I think about it, we in Portugal get Cartoon Network's UK feed, too. So that means that if you guys got DBZK over there in CNUK, then we'd get it too! :D

Yeah, let's hope that happens.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri May 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Even the edited version of DBZK might be too much for UK Kids channels today, when Jetix aired the CN edited dub of Naruto they edited it even more.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 31, 2010 1:33 am

This does seem to lend credibility to Sean Schemmel's claim that there will be an Ocean dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:02 pm

I got this email recently aswell
The Time Traveller wrote:Even the edited version of DBZK might be too much for UK Kids channels today, when Jetix aired the CN edited dub of Naruto they edited it even more.
Yeah, but that was on Jetix, Cartoon Network UK might be fine with it