I just noticed something

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

I just noticed something

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu May 05, 2005 3:49 pm

VIZ didn't censor Popo's lips back in the day!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: I just noticed something

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu May 05, 2005 4:45 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:VIZ didn't censor Popo's lips back in the day!
Hmm... it would seem that you're right.

But remember: licensed, commercially-released manga scanned en masse for free consumption = bad.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu May 05, 2005 4:57 pm

I have no idea why Popo's lips would need to be censored of all things.

On a related note, are there two versions that Viz releases, an uncut one and edited one, or only edited?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu May 05, 2005 5:07 pm

tarsonis wrote:I have no idea why Popo's lips would need to be censored of all things.
Because it's a classic racist stereotype? :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu May 05, 2005 5:17 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote: But remember: licensed, commercially-released manga scanned en masse for free consumption = bad.

:x Tell that to Naruto scanslators!
tarsonis wrote: On a related note, are there two versions that Viz releases, an uncut one and edited one, or only edited?
No, those scans are from when VIZ did DBZ in comic book-format.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Thu May 05, 2005 6:45 pm

Hmm. Interesting. I wish they didn't censor the manga they licenced. The whole point of the manga (in my eyes) was to provide un-cut versions of series I could only see cut.

ruffriles19
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ruffriles19 » Thu May 05, 2005 7:25 pm

I don't know why they would even bother to censor them in the first place. I mean, every single other black character in the series is drawn the same way, from Advisor Black to "Kiira" (end of Z Budokai) and all sorts of minor background characters.
You'd think that drawing characters who are clearly human in that fashion would be considered more possibly offensive than Mr. Popo, who doesn't look quite human and is more of a "mythical" character.
Japan has been accused of being a racist country for years...I don't personally agree with that, but their society is so overwhelmingly homogenous that caricatures in popular media are inevitable.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Thu May 05, 2005 7:38 pm

8)
Last edited by Blastero on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Thu May 05, 2005 8:33 pm

Blastero wrote:I dont see why VIZ censors this and neither Saban, nor Funimation, have ever done this.
Because it would be impossible to censor it frame-by-frame for dozens upon dozens of episodes.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu May 05, 2005 9:48 pm

Yeah, that's why I thought their censorship was ridiculous...I mean, they left him normal before, than all of a sudden I noticed he had no lips.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Thu May 05, 2005 10:46 pm

8)
Last edited by Blastero on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Thu May 05, 2005 11:29 pm

Blastero wrote:
Because it would be impossible to censor it frame-by-frame for dozens upon dozens of episodes.
If they cleaned up the entire Goku vs. Vegeta fight, they can erase Mr. Popo's lips.
There's a difference between censoring a fight that last a few episodes, and censoring someone's body part each and every single time he appears.

And since some appears to be unaware of the stereotype that Popo represents, I thought this link might be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Wed May 11, 2005 2:23 am

ruffriles19 wrote:I don't know why they would even bother to censor them in the first place. I mean, every single other black character in the series is drawn the same way, from Advisor Black to "Kiira" (end of Z Budokai) and all sorts of minor background characters.
You'd think that drawing characters who are clearly human in that fashion would be considered more possibly offensive than Mr. Popo, who doesn't look quite human and is more of a "mythical" character.
Japan has been accused of being a racist country for years...I don't personally agree with that, but their society is so overwhelmingly homogenous that caricatures in popular media are inevitable.
Unfortunately, it's true that the Japanese are very racist. One of my friends, took a trip over there, stayed with a few penfriends he had been in contact with a few years, and he copped a lot of crap over there.
An example of this is a conversation in Japanese, between a stewardess and the guy next to him on the plane over there. The stewardess asked the guy if being seated next to a 'gaijin' offended him, and would he like to move seats. Of course, my friend being fluent in Japanese, understood every word.
This happened almost everywhere he went in Japan, when he was not staying with his friends. They did not treat him well at all. I think it's a great shame that Japan is like this, and something needs to be done about it.
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed May 11, 2005 2:33 am

I don't think they're racist with malicious intent, Sho™. Rather it's due to the fact that their society is VERY homogenous, and they aren't used to seeing different races very often. Not to mention they take people's feelings very seriously, and the stewardess probably was just trying to make sure everyone was as comfortable as possible.

As far as "something needs to be done about it," it is NOT our place to impose things on their society. Let Japan be Japan, it's not our right to tell them what to do.

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Wed May 11, 2005 2:45 am

I didn't say WE had to do it, I'm just saying that, people aren't going to want to visit and cop that kind of treatment. The kids spat on him in the street, in one town. That's just wrong. It's the way their parent's bring them up.
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Wed May 11, 2005 7:00 am

As far as "something needs to be done about it," it is NOT our place to impose things on their society. Let Japan be Japan, it's not our right to tell them what to do.
With regard to things like this. In my opinion yes we do. His basic human rights were being violated. Racism is one trait that needs to be purged from humanity permenanty, you cant pass it off like that. Do you think America should have retained slavery or double standards and say "well thats just the way America is".

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed May 11, 2005 11:33 am

Interesting enough... Black Hosa's "stereotype lips" were removed in the 10th Anniversary special... but I guess he gave them to Metallic Gunsou.

And if anyone in Japan calls me "gai-jin", I'll just say I'm Ainu :p
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed May 11, 2005 1:10 pm

The S wrote:And if anyone in Japan calls me "gai-jin", I'll just say I'm Ainu :p
Ainu...?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed May 11, 2005 2:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people

What's weird, is every Ainu I've seen has been paler than the pics shown here...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed May 11, 2005 4:17 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote: But remember: licensed, commercially-released manga scanned en masse for free consumption = bad.

:x Tell that to Naruto scanslators!
I was specifically referring to scanning the English version released by Viz and offering it up for download. Regardless of what your opinion is on scanslations, you'll have to agree that taking the commercially-released English version and putting it on the internet is not the same thing as scanning and translating the Japanese version yourself, and is in fact (regardless of the law) quite a bit more unethical.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。