New Dragonball series: would you be interested?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Fri May 13, 2005 9:23 am

But he already did. It was the shortlived 'Stryker' series.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Fri May 13, 2005 9:33 am

Snowe wrote:I'd like some short series, such as backstories. For instance, a short series on Freeza, how he hired Dodoria & Zarbon, etc...
Now that's a good idea. Maybe a group of short TV movies, explaining back stories to certain characters, or fleshing out elements that were never really touched on (such as how Yamcha got his scar).
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri May 13, 2005 1:53 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:But he already did. It was the shortlived 'Stryker' series.
What are you talking about?

Ero-Sennin

Post by Ero-Sennin » Fri May 13, 2005 6:36 pm

O.o why not go back in time and do a series based on Bardocks exploits, or just the saiyans in general?

I mean come on it would be interesting to see where Vegeta gets all his pride from, if other saiyans were like that, or even what the relation between King Vegeta and Frieza was like.
Dark souls come dime a dozen, a truely pure soul is priceless, whilst a truely corrupted one is worthless.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri May 13, 2005 10:10 pm

Mmm...well, yeah, it would be interesting if Dragon Ball were to continue explaining some of the things never really covered in the series. But then if it were to only focus on say, Bardock or Freeza, it wouldn't really have anything to do with dragon balls. Now, a series explaining the origins of dragon balls and such would be cool, although I have to agree that one dealing with Bardock or Freeza would be better.

Now about my suggestion earlier...how about a seven part movie series thing that encompasses the entire series? Seven movies...seven dragon balls...
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri May 13, 2005 10:16 pm

I'd like to see a Dragonball game with an original story line. I think a new series would just kill it.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat May 14, 2005 2:08 pm

The only character who'd appear over and over again would be Kame-sennin, he's immortal anyways. XD

But personally...nah, Dragonball has had it's run, time to give it a rest. =D

Demonique

Post by Demonique » Sat May 14, 2005 7:13 pm

Snowe wrote:I'd like some short series, such as backstories. For instance, a short series on Freeza, how he hired Dodoria & Zarbon, etc...
That's what I'd like to see, especially with characters like Raditz who had barely any explanation for them at all. I was more interested in the characters and their lives than the fighting* (though I liked that too, don't get me wrong...) so I would still like to know more about some of them.

*Yes, I know it's action, I don't mean I dislike it, I just found something which I payed more attention too. Please tell me I'm making sense. =P
Until a law is passed to imprison fat people, the gluttons of Britain will be allowed to attend special dietery classes ~ Tom Baker, narrator of Little Britain.

ZeroDrawn

Post by ZeroDrawn » Mon May 16, 2005 12:48 pm

That backstories thing seems interesting. I'd much like to see one on Zarbon's life, from kid to adult, about his race and why he can do what he does.

As a one-shot episode, I'd love to see Goku teach Chi-Chi the KameHameHa. Doesn't make sense that she don't know it!

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 16, 2005 1:36 pm

Well she's one of the very exclusive and elite group that DOSENT know the kamehameha ;)

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Mon May 16, 2005 2:00 pm

Aye, I feel sorry for Kame'sennin. XD

There was a time when he was the only person alive who could perform it. Then Goku came along and mimicked it within a second, had mastered it to a degree by the Budokai.
THEN by the next Budokai, both Yamucha & Kuririn pick it up. And even Tenshinhan copies it.
And by the end of Z everyone and their aunt knows the Kamehameha.

Kame'sennin was once unique! But no more! ;.;

ZeroDrawn

Post by ZeroDrawn » Mon May 16, 2005 2:38 pm

Well, he can still do that really really buff thing.

Sure, Goku and Future Trunks can do it too, in the sense of Ultra Super Saiyan, but Roshi does it without gold hair, and he's really old too, so when you first see him, you're like "Hah. Weak, pitiful old man." Then he gets all buff. "Well, isn't that interesting? I'm going to die now, aern't I?"

So he still has some of it going for him.
Meowth, that's right!

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue May 17, 2005 1:37 pm

Good point, and once the Z-senshi kick the bucket he's the strongest again! Tenkaichi once more! Yatta!

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Tue May 17, 2005 3:24 pm

Though judging by the appearance of Goku and Vegeta in GT he would still have some time to wait... ;)

theendgamelv3

Post by theendgamelv3 » Mon May 23, 2005 3:27 am

I would just love to see a pure comedy series with the original cast but focusing on their daily lives, like Goku's struggle to learn to do something like how he learn how to drive or Majin Buu goes out with the dog and some funny stuff happens.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon May 23, 2005 8:51 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'd like to see a Dragonball game with an original story line. I think a new series would just kill it.
I disagree, well kind of.

Many people think that continuing stories would ruin the series, this is because many sequels to good films usually end up worse (ie. Scream 1, 2 & 3, they get worse as they go along, the 1st one is good though) and using this form of judgement isn't right, it's the creators that arn't good, GT wasn't all that because Toriyama didn't do the story, and I think if he himself continued the story it would be better or just as good as DBZ. Besides, everyone has their own opinions, and while some will like it, some won't. Everyone is very opinionated nowadays, which is good in a way, everyopne is themselves, and people won;t feel no way about coming on a forum and saiying Toriyama's new comic is crap, so if it was crap, people will say.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 23, 2005 12:12 pm

I disagree Bejiita, though I still love it, the quality some elements of Dragonball Z degrade as you move through the series toward the end.