The Westwood Media Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 pm

Y'know, I can't say I really like Dale Wilson's Cell. Every time I think of it I am reminded of his terrible attempts at sounding like he'd snapped from episode #187. It's really a showcase of just how low budget, rushed, and low on resources a dub is when it such shoddy performances are coming out of it. I don't think they even had the original audio to go off of to find the proper intensity for the episode.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 am

MR.Mark wrote:
Than I'm afraid you just don't know good acting when you hear it then. Can you really prefer such voices like Kibit, who sounds like Cookie monster choking to death?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITjyqy3dynE
"Me not take cookies, me eat the cookies"


Thanks for the laughs, Mark. God, the Ocean dub had some weird casting choices.

User avatar
sangofe
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8126
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:27 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Than I'm afraid you just don't know good acting when you hear it then. Can you really prefer such voices like Kibit, who sounds like Cookie monster choking to death?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITjyqy3dynE
"Me not take cookies, me eat the cookies"


Thanks for the laughs, Mark. God, the Ocean dub had some weird casting choices.
Wow, he didn't even scream in that clip.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2613
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:11 am

RazorX wrote:It was pretty sweet hearing the new voices that the Buu saga brought in the Westwood dub. Watch This clip. Even though at this point the viewers know that Super Buu stands no chance against Gohan, he has a plot. The music in this scene has a sinister, eerie feel to it, to add to the atmosphere of desperation surrounding Super Buu, which works as a great build up to the explosion that follows. That, in my view, is sheer quality.
The music was good. And so were the voices. But as for the voice acting, there wasn't much to go on, so it's hard to tell.
RazorX wrote:You might find it better when you watch the audio with the corresponding video. I thought the voice fit Majin Buu's personality really well. It's not too high pitch like Funi, nor too low so as to drop the style of voice that Majin Buu is supposed to have. He's voiced by Scott McNeil, so is Dabura. When they fight, you can't even tell in the slightest it's one person voicing both characters. Terry Klassan voiced Babidi but the personality is very different from Krillin.

You should watch the battle between Super Buu and Gohan in the Westwood Ocean dub. In particular Super Buu Gotenks & Piccolo absorbed. Dobson changed the style and pitch (slightly) of his voice after absorbing Gotenks & Piccolo, to make it sound smoother, confident and condescending. That fight sent chills down my spine when I watched it in the Westwood/Ocean dub. The intensity of Buu's new strength and the situation resulting from Gohan getting easily beat was very well captured, not just in the 2 opponents but the other characters watching/commentating.
I think if McNeil wasn't trying to make Boo sound like a baby, he's be much better. I can hear a hint of the Japanese voice is his interpretation, but the whole "Majin-Boo is a giant, evil baby" thing ruins is. Though a lot of that is controlled by the script... But as it is, it's at least as annoying as FUNi's Boo. I wish they based their script on an actual translation. Then this probably wouldn't be a problem.

Klassen's Babidi would still be too similar. And combined with the script, I almost can't tell who's talking. Babidi just sounds like an evil Kulilin.

I'll see if I can find some good clips of Gohan versus Boo. I'd like to hear more of Swaile's work.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 am

Although it's a meme, here's a scene with Swaile's Gohan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjn78UzRt8c

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by RazorX » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:57 am

It seems one of my posts got deleted, why? I just explained why I liked the Westwood/Ocean dub.
linkdude20002001 wrote:
RazorX wrote:It was pretty sweet hearing the new voices that the Buu saga brought in the Westwood dub. Watch This clip. Even though at this point the viewers know that Super Buu stands no chance against Gohan, he has a plot. The music in this scene has a sinister, eerie feel to it, to add to the atmosphere of desperation surrounding Super Buu, which works as a great build up to the explosion that follows. That, in my view, is sheer quality.
The music was good. And so were the voices. But as for the voice acting, there wasn't much to go on, so it's hard to tell.
RazorX wrote:You might find it better when you watch the audio with the corresponding video. I thought the voice fit Majin Buu's personality really well. It's not too high pitch like Funi, nor too low so as to drop the style of voice that Majin Buu is supposed to have. He's voiced by Scott McNeil, so is Dabura. When they fight, you can't even tell in the slightest it's one person voicing both characters. Terry Klassan voiced Babidi but the personality is very different from Krillin.

You should watch the battle between Super Buu and Gohan in the Westwood Ocean dub. In particular Super Buu Gotenks & Piccolo absorbed. Dobson changed the style and pitch (slightly) of his voice after absorbing Gotenks & Piccolo, to make it sound smoother, confident and condescending. That fight sent chills down my spine when I watched it in the Westwood/Ocean dub. The intensity of Buu's new strength and the situation resulting from Gohan getting easily beat was very well captured, not just in the 2 opponents but the other characters watching/commentating.
I think if McNeil wasn't trying to make Boo sound like a baby, he's be much better. I can hear a hint of the Japanese voice is his interpretation, but the whole "Majin-Boo is a giant, evil baby" thing ruins is. Though a lot of that is controlled by the script... But as it is, it's at least as annoying as FUNi's Boo. I wish they based their script on an actual translation. Then this probably wouldn't be a problem.

Klassen's Babidi would still be too similar. And combined with the script, I almost can't tell who's talking. Babidi just sounds like an evil Kulilin.

I'll see if I can find some good clips of Gohan versus Boo. I'd like to hear more of Swaile's work.
Yeah it was the "Buu is a big baby" idea but I found McNeil did a good job when Buu got pissed off.

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:10 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Although it's a meme, here's a scene with Swaile's Gohan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjn78UzRt8c
Ah yes, Brad Swaile, forgot about him , with better delivery he too could smoke Hebert in the role. Hell he could be a great adult Goku too I think. It's to bad that even with his talent that Brad still sounds like everybody in that dub. All stilted and unnatural in delivery, I mean just listen to Scott here. "I-left-it, in my other-pannnntss". :lol:
linkdude20002001 wrote: but the whole "Majin-Boo is a giant, evil baby" thing ruins is. Though a lot of that is controlled by the script... But as it is, it's at least as annoying as FUNi's Boo.
Yeah, Scott's Buu reminds me of Howie Mandell doing Bobby.

User avatar
Zep
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by Zep » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:02 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Y'know, I can't say I really like Dale Wilson's Cell. Every time I think of it I am reminded of his terrible attempts at sounding like he'd snapped from episode #187. It's really a showcase of just how low budget, rushed, and low on resources a dub is when it such shoddy performances are coming out of it. I don't think they even had the original audio to go off of to find the proper intensity for the episode.
I remember him being a lot better than that... Maybe I just liked it for the camp value.

I'm not for a second going to admit that the Westwood dub is anything more than average, but considering Funimation had arguably better resources yet is probably on the same level (maybe slightly above or below depending on who you ask), I can't fault them for trying.

If they had consistent voice direction from someone who knew what they were doing, more access to the source material and a much better written script, I'm sure the same performers could have made a much better job of it, the same way Funi's dub has arguably improved with Kai... Except for whoever played Trunks; that guy stunk in ways that can't be chalked up to lack of voice direction.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6332
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:28 pm

Zep wrote:that guy stunk in ways that can't be chalked up to lack of voice direction.
Except that Eric Vale is much better in roles outside of Dragon Ball Z's dub, such as his role as Sanji in One Piece for example.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
jjgp1112
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7834
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Crooklyn

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Zep wrote:that guy stunk in ways that can't be chalked up to lack of voice direction.
Except that Eric Vale is much better in roles outside of Dragon Ball Z's dub, such as his role as Sanji in One Piece for example.
I think he was referring to whoever played him in the Westwood dub
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6332
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:36 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Zep wrote:that guy stunk in ways that can't be chalked up to lack of voice direction.
Except that Eric Vale is much better in roles outside of Dragon Ball Z's dub, such as his role as Sanji in One Piece for example.
I think he was referring to whoever played him in the Westwood dub
Oh, I thought that it was the FUNi due to the way he stated it after saying "The same way FUNi improved with Kai". Well, after re-reading it, that would make sense, and if so, then I'd agree! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Zep
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: The Westwood Media Dub

Post by Zep » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Yeah, I was referring to Alistair Abell, who's performance went from dull to downright embarrassing... I watched a bit of something else he voice acted in (the Highlander anime, aka Hokuto no Ken with swords) and he was marginally better, largely because his character didn't talk so much and rarely showed any emotion.

I had a feeling my post wasn't too clear on who I meant in particular, though. Sorry 'bout that.

Post Reply