Favorite Art Style

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Favorite Art Style

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Mine is from the 23rd tenkaichi budokai to the frieza saga. the round style is nice to the eye plus it resembles closer to Akira Toriyama.
I also like that the muscles are just kind of sketched, it gives it style.
The bottom one just doesn't look as dragon ball (even though all the new art looks like that)

What big chin he has! That's why I don't like it as much. His nose is too big for DBZ style.
Here is akira's drawing of GT
It looks like the this (more or less)

What do you like?
Last edited by Attitudefan on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Favorite Art Style

Post by Savage68 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:46 pm

My favorite art style? It's Toriyama's, in the manga.

EDIT: To expand on this, I enjoy DB's art the most during the Namek arc. The "Blocky Road" began in the Android arc (sometime around Perfect Cell's debut), and only went downhill from there.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Savage68 wrote:My favorite art style? It's Toriyama's, in the manga.

EDIT: To expand on this, I enjoy DB's art the most during the Namek arc. The "Blocky Road" began in the Android arc (sometime around Perfect Cell's debut), and only went downhill from there.
Good answer. Toriyama of course had the best style, he is the creator.
The Blocky Road is sadly the only thing many people recognize as the Dragon Ball art style. The games, new animation and fan drawings all seem to hold that style. I have no idea why.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:07 pm

What do you mean by "More like Toriyama" and isn't "Dragon Ball?" Toriyama drew the entire rest of the series after the Frieza saga in the straighter style that is in Salagir's DBZ Kai drawing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:14 pm

23rd Tenka-Ichi Budokai is my absolute favourite arc when it comes to art style.
Everyone just looks fucking gorgeous, especially Goku. It's always great to see Son retain the round style of the first 15 volumes, despite his maturity.

Jmax

Post by Jmax » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:08 pm

It's funny to see how many different ways Goku's been drawn throughout the series.

My least favorite has always been when Goku's super muscular and bulging. Sometimes it just looks so unnatural and dumb.

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Rory wrote:23rd Tenka-Ichi Budokai is my absolute favourite arc when it comes to art style.
I second this.
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:What do you mean by "More like Toriyama" and isn't "Dragon Ball?" Toriyama drew the entire rest of the series after the Freeza saga in the straighter style that is in Salagir's DBZ Kai drawing.
I know it's salagir, but it was to look like the DBkai opening art style. I just used it because it is a good comparison.
Toriyama, after DBZ, reverted back to the rounder smaller look. He drew later DBZ more blocky because it saved time.
23rd Tenka-Ichi Budokai is my absolute favourite arc when it comes to art style.
yes, it is really pleasing to look at. Too bad he didn't continue with that style.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm

I'll third the art style used in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai. I like the rounded style; it also looks more relaxed and detailed.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'll third the art style used in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai. I like the rounded style; it also looks more relaxed and detailed.
It does. It just looks nice! :D

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:25 pm

I guess my favorite would be from the 23rd Budokai to early Saiyan arc. I truly enjoy the roundness from Toriyama at that time.

My other favorite would be the style he has used on some new art. The one where everybody seems a bit shorter. I don't exactly know why I like this style.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:02 am

I'll have to say the Saiyan arc. Apart from a few episodes here and there, the art was consistent.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 am

My favorite is also the Saiyan Saga where everybody is round.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:05 am

For me it's definitely the Piccolo Daimaoh Saga's art style. No particular reason why. Can't put my finger on it either. It just feels right.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 am

My favorite art style must be the entire Android saga. Absolutely loving it.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 am

I like the art from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to the Saiya-jin Arc.
After that, the art becomes to miniaturistic, I mean, we see panels of two people fighting and the only think we see is two humanoid shapes, and lots of "hit-marks". I mean those white things that mark that someone has hit someone else.
We see the same type of fighting when Goku fights Piccolo, and them there is a zoom in and we can actually understand that they are throwing punches and kicks.
And later there are too many zoom-outs, which I think we can blame of the artist becoming too lazy to draw a large and detailed fight, and detailed anything.
And of course, the muscularity of the characters becomes ridiculous, and too sharp and square.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Godo wrote:I like the art from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to the Saiya-jin Arc.
After that, the art becomes to miniaturistic, I mean, we see panels of two people fighting and the only think we see is two humanoid shapes, and lots of "hit-marks". I mean those white things that mark that someone has hit someone else.
We see the same type of fighting when Goku fights Piccolo, and them there is a zoom in and we can actually understand that they are throwing punches and kicks.
And later there are too many zoom-outs, which I think we can blame of the artist becoming too lazy to draw a large and detailed fight, and detailed anything.
And of course, the muscularity of the characters becomes ridiculous, and too sharp and square.
You have said of what I have been thinking. Muscular wise, they're way to huge and odd looking. The animation in the 23rd tenkaichi budokai is amazingly detailed, it shows what is going on and few reused frames. Later on all it is is a bunch of lines and reused frames, really LAZY!
I'll have to say the Saiyan arc. Apart from a few episodes here and there, the art was consistent.
I agree, the Cell fight to me is one thing that comes to mind. It goes from detail and fairly good art and animation to the next where it is not detailed, stiff animation and characters.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am

As far as Toriyama's different eras go? Probably the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai/Saiyan saga. Like many others here, I think it seems like a very natural evolution from the earlier look of the series, and the I dig the sketchy aesthetic.

As far as the anime, Dragon Ball GT. It's a good approximation of latter day Toriyama, and I absolutely love the designs and pastel color palette.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:12 am

Though GT had big features on their characters, Toriyama's rendition of GT Goku was like his earlier days.