Why "ReaCoom"?!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Why "ReaCoom"?!

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Decided to make its own thread, is there any reason why Simmons decided to romanize Reacoom's name as ReaCoom?! Is there a reason for the capitalized C in the middle?!

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Why "ReaCoom"?!

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:57 pm

I'd assume it's because the name is a pun on 'cream', and he wanted to make this as obvious as possible. I think it's kinda overdoing it. Like Adamant pointed out in another thread, it's equivalent to calling Satan's daughter "ViDel".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Herms wrote:I'd assume it's because the name is a pun on 'cream', and he wanted to make this as obvious as possible. I think it's kinda overdoing it. Like Adamant pointed out in another thread, it's equivalent to calling Satan's daughter "ViDel".
Okay, let's think that that's the reason. But what's make Reacoom's name special to receive this treatment?!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:29 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Herms wrote:I'd assume it's because the name is a pun on 'cream', and he wanted to make this as obvious as possible. I think it's kinda overdoing it. Like Adamant pointed out in another thread, it's equivalent to calling Satan's daughter "ViDel".
Okay, let's think that that's the reason. But what's make Reacoom's name special to receive this treatment?!
Well... He just said it. The pun is being pushed further into understanding. "Cream" isn't written or pronounced as "cooream." It's admittedly a harder-to-get pun(at least, in terms of English phonetics) than "Videl." It's a virtually non-existant problem in Japanese, as "cream" is pronounced "kuriimu."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:50 pm

That's basically it. "Rikuumu" doesn't make the transition into English as neatly as the others, because of that stretched-out "uu" in there (which is a vowel not voiced in the English "cream"). My thinking at the time was that rearranging the letters was fine, but in order to make the pun obvious, it needed to be set off somehow, either with a hyphen, or an apostrophe, or something. The capital letter is what won out.

(Also, "Rickum" sounds like something Muttley would say, swearing under his breath)