"DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 am

penguintruth wrote:His current Piccolo is way better than the awful one he used throughout DBZ.
I agree 100%. Honestly, 1999 Freeza saga Piccolo sounds like Christian Bale's Batman to me. Actually, a lot of extra Namekian's did when I watched the dub on the Dragon Box with my little brother and cousin.

Going with the Rush Zone ratings theory as posted by Innagadadavida, I have a feeling 36 included won't be on the Nicktoons site until Oct 20.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:29 am

The Commerical said new episodes starting October 20th.

I think the long wait is maybe part 3 could be released the following month.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:32 am

Yeah, by far.
Sabat as a actor, compared to then is leagues above in his performance, and personally I like a Zoro-Esque voice.
But now.. Geez man
Ayres is just hands down superb, the closest thing we'll get to Nakao in English.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Ahaha! I just saw the new "In Scene" on Nicktoons.
Mike McFarland had me laughing hardcore.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Monica Rial's in that behind the scenes thing, if I recall.

It's too bad we didn't get to hear much of her.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:18 pm

penguintruth wrote:Monica Rial's in that behind the scenes thing, if I recall.

It's too bad we didn't get to hear much of her.
Yes it's her, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, Justin Cook, Sonny Strait & Mike McFarland.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:So, here's my thinking. This is based on circumstantial evidence, but I feel like its a safe assumption.

The promo after the episode today said "New episodes start October 20th!" Great news because he said "episodes"; as in, more than one. But that makes today's new episode really kind of a strange occurrence. Why did they randomly play one episode in between two runs? What was different about today?
The premier of NFL Rush Zone. NFL Rush Zone is a micro series that aired five minutes before today's episode of DBZ Kai. In ALL promos for NFL Rush Zone, Nicktoons promptly mentioned "RIGHT BEFORE A BRAND NEW FUCKING EPISODE OF DBZ KAI MOTHERFUCKERS!" I'm paraphrasing, but it was there. Soooo... Nicktoons was using DBZ Kai to piggyback views for their new series. Sleezy, but it shows that the network has so much confidence in Dragon Ball Z Kai, they used it to promote a show about the National Football League. The NFL is either already in season or about to start. That fact alone wasn't enough to push the new show, they had to sucker viewers in with a new episode of DBZ Kai. That's awesome. Nicktoons loves them some Dragon Ball.
W-w-w-w-w-w-wait....

I've been seeing them promote the living crap out of that NFL series for months. They'd show these supped up commercials...but not give any information on what the show was really about.

...and it's a micro-series?!

Man...I can't stand it.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Where is it? I found an ad for one with Sonny, Chris, Justin and Sean. Where's the one with the gals in it?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:38 am

The TV cuts in episode 36 are just nonsensical. They cut out Kaiô angry for 3 seconds, Vegeta yelling for two, Vegeta walking towards Gohan, Kuririn and Dende for 10 seconds, and some shots of everybody terrified of Freeza. What's the point? o_O
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:42 am

Puto wrote:The TV cuts in episode 36 are just nonsensical. They cut out Kaiô angry for 3 seconds, Vegeta yelling for two, Vegeta walking towards Gohan, Kuririn and Dende for 10 seconds, and some shots of everybody terrified of Freeza. What's the point? o_O
Possibly cutting for time.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:26 am

Puto wrote:The TV cuts in episode 36 are just nonsensical. They cut out Kaiô angry for 3 seconds, Vegeta yelling for two, Vegeta walking towards Gohan, Kuririn and Dende for 10 seconds, and some shots of everybody terrified of Freeza. What's the point? o_O
A five minute micro-series that premiered five minutes berore Kai.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:20 am

There's no doubt that Sabat's acting is superb. But the voice is just not doing it for me. He's taking away what made Piccolo, Piccolo to me. Now it just sounds like Zoro, Jigen, Roy Revant, etc...

The "Zoro Voice" is just too light and there's no gruffness behind his yells. I just don't like it. It's not Piccolo to me.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 am

His Piccolo is definitely better than his Jigen. His Piccolo has personality. And I like less gruffness. He was overdoing it in Z.

(Ugh, Funimation's Lupin III dubs are horrible, don't remind me of them.)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:26 am

penguintruth wrote:(Ugh, Funimation's Lupin III dubs are horrible, don't remind me of them.)
What? While some of the casting decisions on FUNi's Lupin are questionable. The scripts are pretty darn faithful and Sonny Strait's Lupin is by far the best English Lupin ever. Strait is the only English actor to be able to get across Lupin's many sides. Funny, serious, romantic. All other English actors only get across 1, 2 at the most of his traits.

Sabat's Jigen, once he gets settled into the role is very enjoyable when he's just naturally talking. He gets across Jigen's laid back straight man nature. It's just when he yells that Jigen sounds bad.
And I like less gruffness. He was overdoing it in Z.
When he started out, yes. But his Buu Saga Piccolo is perfect. It's deep and smooth when he talks naturally. And then gruff when he yells (Unlike say 1999 Piccolo where he's gruff all the time).

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:34 am

Gozar wrote:There's no doubt that Sabat's acting is superb. But the voice is just not doing it for me. He's taking away what made Piccolo, Piccolo to me. Now it just sounds like Zoro, Jigen, Roy Revant, etc...

The "Zoro Voice" is just too light and there's no gruffness behind his yells. I just don't like it. It's not Piccolo to me.
I far more enjoy this portrayal of Piccolo, mostly because Piccolo is actually a more refined, quieter sort of a guy. Gruffness doesn't really befit him, in my eyes.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
Gozar wrote:There's no doubt that Sabat's acting is superb. But the voice is just not doing it for me. He's taking away what made Piccolo, Piccolo to me. Now it just sounds like Zoro, Jigen, Roy Revant, etc...

I far more enjoy this portrayal of Piccolo, mostly because Piccolo is actually a more refined, quieter sort of a guy. Gruffness doesn't really befit him, in my eyes.
Even Furukawa puts gruffness into Piccolo's voice when he yells. It's just common sense. It doesn't matter how "refined" a character might be, when they get angry that aspect gets thrown out the window in a sense. When you yell there has to be power and force behind your voice because you ARE forcing it.

Sabat's Buu Saga Piccolo did this to a tee. It kept Piccolo more quiet and subdued when naturally talking. But then there was power behind his yells.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:43 am

Gozar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:(Ugh, Funimation's Lupin III dubs are horrible, don't remind me of them.)
What? While some of the casting decisions on FUNi's Lupin are questionable. The scripts are pretty darn faithful and Sonny Strait's Lupin is by far the best English Lupin ever. Strait is the only English actor to be able to get across Lupin's many sides. Funny, serious, romantic. All other English actors only get across 1, 2 at the most of his traits.

Sabat's Jigen, once he gets settled into the role is very enjoyable when he's just naturally talking. He gets across Jigen's laid back straight man nature. It's just when he yells that Jigen sounds bad.
I disagree. Tony Oliver beats Sonny Strait's hands down, making him sound like he's really, really having a lot of fun and full of that smug playfulness and almost childlike pleasure with what he's doing. Strait has a decent voice, but lacks the delivery of Oliver. It's probably because Oliver had years more experience. Sabat's Jigen is your usual generic Sabat performances. Good peformances from Chris Sabat are the exception, not the rule.

The scripts are okay, but the voices and deliveries in the Funimation dubs for Lupin III are just terrible most of the time. Phuuz did a better job, even though their scripts were peppered with localization. Oliver, Epcar, Ruff, Lang, and Martin are the best English cast this franchise has ever had.

(Nobody will ever beat the original Japanese cast, though. Well, okay, maybe now that they're a hundred years old, but I mean in their prime.)
When he started out, yes. But his Buu Saga Piccolo is perfect..
Still too gruff to me. The gruffness comes off as oversimplifying the character.
Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Can I get a Schemen?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 am

David Hayter was fantastic in Castle of Cagliostro. I've been watching that movie a lot recently... Just sayin'.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:50 am

Innagadadavida wrote:David Hayter was fantastic in Castle of Cagliostro. I've been watching that movie a lot recently... Just sayin'.
He was okay, but I couldn't imagine him playing Lupin in anything else. Lupin was pretty soft in CoC, so it sort of fit.

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:10 am

Ain't a Lupin thread, folks, unless you're going to directly compare voice performances and character... errr... characteristics.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::