Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18938
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:11 pm

...well, the first samples of Ishizuka's Mr. Satan have surface. Ishizuka's very reminiscent of Daisuke Gôri. I'm hoping he is cast for Dragon Ball Kai, because I think he'll be the best guy for the job. He can play the tough and grandiose Mr. Satan and seems to be able to capture the comedic relief well enough.

Thoughts, anyone?
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6141
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Hmm. His whiny parts sound a bit forced, but overall he sounds like he'd work. Sure. Bring him on for Kai.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/28/26!)
Current Episode: The Failure of Frost - Dragon Ball Dissection: The God of Destruction Champa Arc Part 3 (Manga)

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm

He's nowhere near as good as Gouri. :(
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:29 pm

So Professor Oak is playing Mr. Satan now huh? He sounds similar to Daisuke Gouri's voice, but then again who can beat Gouri's voice anyways?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

User avatar
SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 983
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty good replacement from the sounds of it. Whiny Satan sounds a bit like Prof. Ookido (Oak) from Pokémon though, which is to be expected I suppose since Ishizuka is the voice of Ookido and the Narrator in that show.

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm

I think it's a pretty good replacement, but I'll certainly miss Gouri :(

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 pm

Didn't the voice of Videl and Pan say she wouldn't return after Gouri's death? So now we'll have a new Satan and a new Videl. :(
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:58 pm

I think it's a decent replacement. My only real problem is it is not gruff enough, some parts sound very forced.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:06 pm

penguintruth wrote:Didn't the voice of Videl and Pan say she wouldn't return after Gouri's death? So now we'll have a new Satan and a new Videl. :(
yes, but I'll wait though.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18938
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm pretty sure Minaguchi's still voicing Videl. I could've sworn I heard her in the Raging Blast 2 promos.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:50 pm

I need to hear him in a full episode of Kai to fairly judge, but he seems to be fine going off that clip.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6141
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:55 pm

penguintruth wrote:Didn't the voice of Videl and Pan say she wouldn't return after Gouri's death? So now we'll have a new Satan and a new Videl. :(
I think she said something along the lines of not wanting to come back if Gouri wasn't playing her father. But that was right when it happened. It was probably an emotional response, and I doubt it necessarily means that she WON'T come back.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/28/26!)
Current Episode: The Failure of Frost - Dragon Ball Dissection: The God of Destruction Champa Arc Part 3 (Manga)

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:28 am

Holy shit, there's fully voiced dialogue in Tenkaichi Tag Team!? I had no idea.




Anyway, I quite like Mr. Satan's new voice. Can't wait to hear more of him.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2613
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:32 am

It disappoints me. It sounds quite generic... :(
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
Turtle Marked Stone
Regular
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Geeze, this bums me out. I mean it's not a bad voice or anything but c'mon Daisuke Gôri was well...Daisuke Gôri. It's hard to accept much less.

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Mewzard » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Between Daisuke Gôri's passing, and Chris Rager's severe injury, I'd be reluctant to be the guy trying to be the replacement guy at this point.

It's going to be hard topping a classic voice role. I felt the same way when I heard Takahiro Sakurai replaced Hirotaka Suzuoki as Dragon Shiryu in the later Saint Seiya: Hades OVAs (Hell, Suzuoki was doing both Dragon Shiryu and Tenshinhan at the same time back in the 80s, just as Tōru Furuya did both Pegasus Seiya and Yamucha, and Ryo Horikawa went from playing the kind bishonen Andromeda Shun to the more glad to kill Vegeta. Though they all got replaced during the later OVAs)

As for the work of Unshô Ishizuka...it's alright, but I don't think, if he is the official replacement, he'll be able to live up to what Daisuke Gôri did in the role. The best bet, at this point, is for a replacement to give their own take on the character that fits the role, but is not to close to Daisuke Gôri's work. That's the only way they'll probably have a chance at satisfying.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by PuppetDoctor » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:05 am

Mr. Satan is one of the voices I loved in Dragon Ball Z and Unsho Ishizuka doesn't live up to Daisuke Gôri in my opinion. As others have said it sounds forced and while it does sound somewhat close to the original it doesn't sound right. I am going to miss Daisuke Gôri because he made such an amazing Mr. Satan.

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:41 pm

I usually don't mind the idea of new V.A ..... But Gori is Gori! :S
This sounds good though, but... Geez what a loss :S

User avatar
DemonRin
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1390
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:50 am
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by DemonRin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:53 am

This clip brings both joy and sadness to my heart...

On the one hand... Gouri SHOULD Be Satan! He SHOULD still be here, and we SHOULD still be able to hear his wonderful voice! He should also still be Jinbei...

Now, on the other hand, the realistic side of my brain reminds me that Daisuke Gouri can no longer play Mr. Satan, so the role would HAVE to be recast... and that part of me is happy hearing this, because I think the new guy is pretty good from what I can hear in this short clip.

So what I'm saying is, I'm sad that we live with circumstances where Gouri can't play him, but I'm happy with what I've heard of his replacement so far.

I think I have a worse taste in my mouth over Gouri's replacement than anyone else though. At least other characters were recast due to someone passing due to a more natural cause or an accident, but the circumstances surrounding Gouri's passing just sadden me....
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Re: Unshô Ishizuka as Mr. Satan...

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

It seems (to me at least) like they're taking the Mr.Satan voice in a different direction. It sounds almost nothing like Gouri's version.

Post Reply