DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai Cable TV Version (NickToons) Edits!

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 pm

@TheBlackPaladin

I think it may be both of your theories at work with this.

But anyway, for the most part, Nicktoons Edits are definitely better than anything Saban or...ugh, CW/4Kids has given us. The editing of Krillin getting stabbed by Freeza's horn was much better than I thought it would go. However, When it comes to the CW, I don't even want to know what they do to it.
I hope they'll actually let Krillin die when it comes time for the Super Saiyan transformation. It makes the scene more powerful than if you just vaguely mention it in passing.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:40 pm

SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:@TheBlackPaladin

But anyway, for the most part, Nicktoons Edits are definitely better than anything Saban or...ugh, CW/4Kids has given us. The editing of Krillin getting stabbed by Freeza's horn was much better than I thought it would go. However, When it comes to the CW, I don't even want to know what they do to it.
I hope they'll actually let Krillin die when it comes time for the Super Saiyan transformation. It makes the scene more powerful than if you just vaguely mention it in passing.
Chaozu, Yamcha, Ten, Piccolo, Nappa, etc. all died just fine for the Nicktoons version. Krillin will, too.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Kendamu wrote:
SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:@TheBlackPaladin

Chaozu, Yamcha, Ten, Piccolo, Nappa, etc. all died just fine for the Nicktoons version. Krillin will, too.
My guess is they'll do what they did with the European dubs: the shot of Krillin "puffing up" and then the subsequent shot of him exploding will be cut. We will hear some kind of explosionish noise to indicate what happened. That's my guess. I just hope they pull it off better. In the European dubs the replaced sound effect sounded like a starter pistol.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:32 pm

We saw Vegeta vaporize Nappa and Cui pretty much untouched, right? I know Kuririn is a good guy, but I imagine if they just snip out the more graphic aspects of his body expanding, it would be fine. Have him scream GOKU!! and then just see the explosion...just like the impalement, we know what happened, just don't show it. I don't mind those edits. There are things that must be edited for this show to be broadcast, and when they're done well and you still know what's going on, then I would even say I enjoy that type of edit.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:39 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:My guess is they'll do what they did with the European dubs: the shot of Krillin "puffing up" and then the subsequent shot of him exploding will be cut.
That's basically what the Toonami version did back in '99. They just cut the couple of frames where he "puffed up" but showed everything else.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Enchanted Leg

Post by Enchanted Leg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Has anyone noticed that on the latest 2 episodes (on the web site at least) they didn't show the episode recaps? Instead they both begin from the opening theme :?. That's odd since every other full episode on the site has a recap, did they show the recaps on TV? I'd imagine that the episode 38 recap was cut for obvious reasons, but why was the episode 37 recap not shown?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 am

The recaps are there; sometimes the player on NT's website whacks up and jumps straight to the opening, or sometimes even straight *after* the opening.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 pm

They might cut the "GOKUUUUU!!" before he's blown up.

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Nicktoons's description of Episode 38 wrote:Vegeta is impressed by Gohan's outburst after Freeza strikes a death blow against Krillin.
So apparently Krillin did get impaled in the TV version. I thought they were just gonna say Freeza headbutted him really hard.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:52 pm

That's why I love the Nicktoons edits. They're reasonable (most of the time). It does bother me when you consider that Avatar airs directly after it in prime time, and how often the words/concepts of 'death' and 'killing' come up in that show, why Kai has to be so vague about it, but maybe it's because there's more hand-to-hand going on in Kai than Avatar? In any case, things like Kuririn being impaled - it's obvious what happened, even if they don't show the horn go through. It's implied, just without showing the graphic violence. I have to wonder, though, what'll happen when #20 attacks Yamcha when we get that far...I'll need to watch Vegeta killing Zarbon again to remember what they did with that. But I approve of the tasteful editing that doesn't tamper with the plot, while at the same time doing what is necessary for the network to air it and expose the series to more fans.

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:19 pm

Got this screen at around twelve minutes in. :shock: I wonder if this means that was when the episode was finished...
Last edited by JulieYBM on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Yeah, for whatever reason, this episode's buggy in the middle and with the preview :/

I hope they fix it soon. Because I never get to watch it on TV due to my grandmother having to watch her soap operas at the same time.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Is it just me, or does Colleen's Gohan sound -really- good in this episode? I mean especially good.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Is it just me, or does Colleen's Gohan sound -really- good in this episode? I mean especially good.
I thought so, too. I mean, I already liked it, but it was exceptional in this episode.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 am

Wow, they cut out Piccolo getting 'gunned down'. I mean at least you still see Piccolo being blasted in the final pan-out cliffhanger shot.

One thing bout Kai though, well I guess it's all moot now cause we know what Freeza looks like, but eh.. I liked how the original DBZ preview only showed a glimpse of Freeza's final form making you anxious to see the next episode. Here, he's already in your face when the title pops up.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 am

penguintruth wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Is it just me, or does Colleen's Gohan sound -really- good in this episode? I mean especially good.
I thought so, too. I mean, I already liked it, but it was exceptional in this episode.
Agreed. I was really impressed with her admiration of Piccolo, in particular. You could really feel the emotion and excitement - Piccolo, who died sacrificing himself to save Gohan, and is the whole reason Gohan came to this planet and got caught in this crazy mess, is actually back, and it looks like he'll really be able to beat Freeza. He's elated, and Colleen really nailed that emotion throughout the episode.

--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:39 pm

I see both insert songs were in Japanese.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 pm

The question becomes, is this an edit? Will it be the same in the DVD? Were they censored out for whatever reason? Or, were they rushed for the edited dub, so we have to wait for the uncut dub to see the dubbed songs? I'm hopeful that we get them all dubbed.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

What the crap? They take Bardock's scar away for episode 1 but Whoopsies we have it back in episode,,,,whatever this one is?

They should have kept it in to begin with.

spaceace998

Post by spaceace998 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:55 pm

To be expected, there were a few things left out a few things from episodes 41 and 42.

-When Vegeta is in the hole surrounded by water and Frieza descends, there is a crab crawling on Vegeta's back. However, Frieza eating the crab in two bites is cut out.
-All evidence of Frieza holding Vegeta by the neck with his tail and punching his back has been removed. All shots in the recap and such are removed, always showing Vegeta on the ground in pain.
-When Vegeta gets thrown to the rock wall, a small rocks falls on his chest. Frieza crushing the rock against Vegeta's chest in cut out, making it so that the rock is there in one shot then suddenly gone.
-The beam doesn't pierce all the way through Vegeta's armor, just through the front. The shot of Vegeta coughing just after falling is removed. All blood is removed from his face, not colored tan or anything.
-Hopefully this is censorship: "A Saiyan must be the one to stop him." This will likely be: "He must die by a Saiyan's hand." or something.
No more blah blah blah! - Captain Kirk