Kai Special/Movie

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Kai Special/Movie

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 am

What do you guys think the possibility of a movie or special coming from Kai? It would be easy cash and I see no reason why it wouldn't. As long as it isn't more Broli I'd be fine with it. Maybe a Boo special? Thoughts?
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kai Special/Movie

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:38 am

I'd really love a movie from Kai. Something that merges the humor of the Jump Tour special with the action of the RB2 special while not seeming too rushed plot-wise. Maybe have it last about an hour and a half. That'd be really nice...

The only question I have though is does Toei have the money for it? Does Toei think it would financially worth it to invest in making a new 2D animated movie for DB with their Kai branding?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:41 am

Kai versions of the existing movies, with all the camping bits and likewise excised.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 am

Whaaat? The camping bits and all the other material like it were the only things that made any of the movies worth watching in the first place!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 am

Not to me. I fucking hated all that camping nonsense. Especially in movie 3, with Hiyaa Dragon.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:30 am

I would love to see a Kai movie or special. I would imagine Toei could pump out at least one movie or special before Kai ends. I could see it being maybe an hour.

I like the Boo arc special suggestion. There wasn't one made for Z in that arc, so why not?

Also, I'm going to have to agree with Gaffer Tape on the camping parts. That's one thing I miss from the new special...

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:49 am

penguintruth wrote:Not to me. I fucking hated all that camping nonsense. Especially in movie 3, with Hiyaa Dragon.
Haiya Dragon isn't great, I agree, but once you strip away the camping/shopping/cherry blossom festivals/tournament/Ombatchama/etc., all you're really left with is repetitive fighting usually in the following sequence: Oh, the minions/depowered boss beat up the supporting cast. Oh, Goku killed the minions/is a match for the depowered boss. Oh, the boss powered up and is kicking ass. Possibly an oh, the supporting cast made another stand but got beaten up again. Oh, Goku got a power up/created a genki dama/learned the power-of-friendship-as-long-as-those-friends-are-giving-me-their-energy-rather-than-getting-in-the-way-by-fighting. And then a nice bookend of camping/shopping/cherry blossoming/tournamenting/joking.

I live for those wacky situations when watching the movies because they're just so damn boring otherwise.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot the... Oh, Gohan's being brutalized, and here's Piccolo coming in just long enough to look cool and save Gohan but then become immediately ineffectual. :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 am

Chuquita wrote:I'd really love a movie from Kai. Something that merges the humor of the Jump Tour special with the action of the RB2 special while not seeming too rushed plot-wise. Maybe have it last about an hour and a half. That'd be really nice...

The only question I have though is does Toei have the money for it? Does Toei think it would financially worth it to invest in making a new 2D animated movie for DB with their Kai branding?
I think people in Japan would be very interested in an hour and a half if there was new animation with a new plot. Remember how Garlic Jr. was one of the most popular arcs in Japan?
Last edited by Great Saiyaman I on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 am

If you excise the camping bits and other miscellaneous crap from the movies, you'd end up with a about 25 minutes of nonstop combat in some cases. The plot would be incomprehensible, and the fighting wouldn't have any rational basis to support it. In other words, Movie 10.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:37 pm

The movies were more or less recycled plots(though this seems to be common in many anime movies) so unless it were something original I wouldn't want to see it.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:43 pm

NeoKING wrote:The movies were more or less recycled plots(though this seems to be common in many anime movies) so unless it were something original I wouldn't want to see it.
It would be cool though if they could create something original with an original storyline that fits into the DBZ timeline, having seen the movies, it sounds more like a far fetched dream though...

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Well, Saiya Zenmetsu was kind of original. If the Ghost Fighters idea wasn't in it I think it'd be a decent Kai film.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:40 pm

NeoKING wrote:Well, Saiya Zenmetsu was kind of original. If the Ghost Fighters idea wasn't in it I think it'd be a decent Kai film.
Never heard of it, *googles it*... Wait! do you mean the plan to eradicate the saiyans?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:38 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
NeoKING wrote:Well, Saiya Zenmetsu was kind of original. If the Ghost Fighters idea wasn't in it I think it'd be a decent Kai film.
Never heard of it, *googles it*... Wait! do you mean the plan to eradicate the saiyans?
Yep. The new one, that is. You know, since it uses Kai's pseudo-animation.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:41 am

"Cooler's Revenge" should be made into a kai movie and re-drawn final form cooler will be worth it.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:31 am

I would love to see a special done in the time between 23rd tenkaichi budokai and the saiyan saga. I would be disappointed though with the choice of art style used.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Sabat made a joke about the Movies being "Kai-ified" into 20-minute shorts. Tee-hee.

Ishtar318
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ishtar318 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:04 am

Kirbopher wrote:Sabat made a joke about the Movies being "Kai-ified" into 20-minute shorts. Tee-hee.
He also made a joke about making a DBZ series that does the opposite of Kai, that takes nothing but the filler scenes that Kai removed and calling it Dragon Ball F (F for Filler).

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 pm

penguintruth wrote:Not to me. I fucking hated all that camping nonsense. Especially in movie 3, with Hiyaa Dragon.
Just for that, we should have an entire movie based on camping, then Freeza's brother comes back, and... oh wait.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Ishtar318 wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:Sabat made a joke about the Movies being "Kai-ified" into 20-minute shorts. Tee-hee.
He also made a joke about making a DBZ series that does the opposite of Kai, that takes nothing but the filler scenes that Kai removed and calling it Dragon Ball F (F for Filler).
What?! That's crazy! It should obviously be called Dragon Ball AF (All Filler).