Toriko Takes DBK's Slot On April 3 (Kai Ends with Cell)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Re: Toriko animated series takes Kai's timeslot in April?!

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:They could actually spend good money and remaster the boo arc themselves.
They did...

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Yeah, that's not a remaster. That's just bullshit.

It would be horrible if Kai never did the Buu arc. It's in need of Kai a lot more than the Artificial Human/Cell arc. About as much as the Freeza arc needed it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Toei can cut down production costs by just playing "Formidable Warrior, The Saiyan" as the only BGM since it was overplayed so much in the Saiyan-Freeza sagas. :roll:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 pm

penguintruth wrote:Yeah, that's not a remaster. That's just bullshit.
No, it's definitely a remaster. It's just automated, careless, and problematic.

Also, what happened to all those people who think the series should have ended at the Cell arc anyway?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Cipher wrote:Also, what happened to all those people who think the series should have ended at the Cell arc anyway?
This is the biggest reason I don't want Kai to end with Cell. All those people will just take it as proof that the Boo arc should never have happened and that Cell was Toriyama's true intended ending and all that crap.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Oh, I would have liked if the story ended with Cell. But it didn't. The Buu arc is in the manga. And to cut out the Buu arc now would be like pretending it never happened, which is just ridiculous. (Also, I do like parts of the Buu arc, even if I think it's the weakest arc.)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:05 pm

I hope the Buu arc gets the Kai treatment cause I'd like to see a fillerfree Buu arc and I'd like to hear Kyle Hebert's Gohan and Kara Edwards' Goten again.
Although tbh, I thought FUNi did a great job dubbing the Buu arc, way better than the other parts of the show, and I don't mind the filler in this arc that much.
Besides, Toei advertise Kai as the 'Original Akira Toriyama Cut Version' so it should include the Buu arc.
Lets hope Kai is just on a hiatus.

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Not to mention putting Majin Boo on the Kai calendar
And remember Boo Saga is Toriyama´s Favorite!

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:14 pm

I don't think it would be cancelled, considering what Hujio said on Kanzentai:
any possible cancellation surely can't stem from poor TV ratings, as the series been one of the top 10 rated anime series every week since syndication began in April 2009.
But if it is, I think FUNi and other international distributors of the show should commission Toei to continue to produce the show, with its own Japanese home release and possible future airing on Fuji TV.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Even if Kai does finish at the end of the Cell arc, I won't be too fussed. I'll always have DBZ.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Even if Kai does finish at the end of the Cell arc, I won't be too fussed. I'll always have DBZ.
My main issue is that I want this full dubbing with this new cast.

Hell, after Kai, I want them to redub all 508 episodes, 17 movies, 3 tv specials, those two OVAs (Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return, and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans *original and remastered on one set*). I'd buy every set and watch the crap out of them (especially if they were the Dragon Box Masters).

But, the point is, I don't want this new dub to end, it's far too good to go unfinished.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Even if Kai does finish at the end of the Cell arc, I won't be too fussed. I'll always have DBZ.
My main issue is that I want this full dubbing with this new cast.

Hell, after Kai, I want them to redub all 508 episodes, 17 movies, 3 tv specials, those two OVAs (Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return, and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans *original and remastered on one set*). I'd buy every set and watch the crap out of them (especially if they were the Dragon Box Masters).

But, the point is, I don't want this new dub to end, it's far too good to go unfinished.
I totally agree, I want to hear what new voices they will have for the later characters.

Though I think the international distributors should commission Toei to complete the series if it does get cancelled.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am

If Toei does cancel Kai, what if FUNi continues doing it in-house?
You must have faith in who you are.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:03 am

dragondyle wrote:If Toei does cancel Kai, what if FUNi continues doing it in-house?
Damn if its a repeat of the Orange Bricks (like, new remaster that still sucks). I wish WastedWisher could tell us something...

And I read Shonen Jump's showcase of Toriko and it was awesome... But I will hate it forever if it denys me my Dragon Ball!

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 am

dragondyle wrote:If Toei does cancel Kai, what if FUNi continues doing it in-house?
It can't be all that pricey, but it's really up to toei..
FUNi could do faux kai?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 am

FUNimation would have to license film prints for up-scaling to 1080p, watch and edit the episodes to their own whim, and then figure out what to do with the scripts. That's not even including what they would do with the 'new animation'.

It'd be a pain in the ass, just like redubbing every else they got wrong.

We should really avoid entertaining any ideas like that until we know what will happen on Toei Animation's end.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:39 am

According to the latest episode of Kai, Majin Buu arc is confirmed :P

All joke aside, if Kai is really going to be cancelled and FUNi decide to continue it, why not just pay Toei to make the Majin Buu arc with new animation instead of using the old footage?

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 am

I personally wouldn't mind much if Kai ended at the Cell Arc. But on the other hand I would enjoy the Buu Arc. In any case, my main curiosity is this: if they do the Buu Arc, which ending will they use? The original one? Or the Kazenban one? I'm hoping for the Kazenban ending.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:05 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
FUNi could do faux kai?
You know I've always wondered this myself. I mean even if they can't get Toei to produce the episodes how hard would it be to animate it stateside(that is, assuming Toei would let them)?

That aside, I really wouldn't worry to much. I mean why can't it take the 10am slot or hell...the 9:30am slot?

Also, did the Jump page say that a Toriko episode would debut? What's stopping this from being a two minute sneak peak during commercials?
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:54 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
FUNi could do faux kai?
You know I've always wondered this myself. I mean even if they can't get Toei to produce the episodes how hard would it be to animate it stateside(that is, assuming Toei would let them)?
'Animate' it stateside? That'd cost FUNimation more money than Toei current puts into the series.

Guys, if Toei drops Kai they drop it. No foreign licensee is going to be able to afford to pick up the slack, let alone the rights.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️