What were your predictions for 2010?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

What were your predictions for 2010?

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:48 pm

One week left and we will leave 2010 behind and move on to 2011. How many of us made some predictions back at December 2009 for 2010?
((In preparation for the upcoming 2010 discussion-2011 predictions episode))

Here are my predictions for 2010 that I made:
  • - More Viz delays.
    Volumes 6 and 8 of DBZ got delayed
  • - FUNimation will at least announce and release three more Dragon Box sets.
    We got volumes 2, 3 and 4.
  • - Dragon Ball DS 2 will be announced for North America, but will exclude the NES game from it, or replace it with the old Dragon Power version.
    The game was released without the NES game.
  • - A Sequel for Attack of the Saiyans will be announced.
    Didn't happen.
  • - Even more Viz delays, and VegettoEX will be forced to buy the single volumes or borrow them from someone. :mrgreen:
    Didn't happen :P .
  • - FUNimation will announce Dragon Box the Movies.
    Didn't happen, but we got the announcement of DB movie 1 and the 4-movies set.
  • - A movie with Super Saiyan 3 Broli will be announced and Hujio's nightmare will come true. :mrgreen:
    We got the remake of PTETSS with Raging Blast 2, so... take it as you like. :|
  • - Viz will cancel the VizBig release and replace it with the Kanzenban release.
    Didn't happen (Thank God).
  • - 4Kids will buy Dragon Ball from FUNimation as a payback for taking One Piece from them. :lol:
    Kai got aired censored on CW4Kids. So, half true?!
  • - Team Four Star will finaly be able to start Season 2 of DBZ Abridged after several delays. :mrgreen:
    And it happened.
  • - FUNimation will release the Jump Special.
    Didn't happen.
  • - FUNimation will release Dragon Ball Kai for Bluray, but it'll be in 16:9 aspect ratio instead of 4:3.
    Both the DVD and BD are 4:3.
  • - Yamcha's episode will be delayed again.
    Amazingly, he got his episode early on.
Some of you might made some prediction back at episode 203, if you want to go back and look it up.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: What were your predictions for 2010?

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:54 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:FUNimation will release the Jump Special.
Yup, I thought for sure they would. DBZ Kai was actually a surprise.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:53 pm

My 2010 predictions:
- Funimation will license Dragon Ball Kai for DVD and Blu-Ray; they will begin working on a new English dub, which will HOPEFULLY be better than theier previous DBZ dubs
Right on all accounts.
- A sequel for Attack of the Saiyans will be announced; it will cover finding Kami's spaceship until the end of the Freeza battle, and Vegeta will be a playable character
Wrong, unfortunately.
- Funimation will release the rest, or at least most of, the Dragon Boxes this year (though it may continue into next year)
Right.
- Dragon Ball Kai will continue, but may take a break after Freeza; the same four Yamamoto tracks will continue to dominate the soundtrack for some time
No break (yet). And Yamamoto's been using some more tracks. So I guess I'm wrong there.
- Funimation will release the DBZ Jump Special, perhaps packaged with the One Piece one. I can't imagine somebody purchasing a DVD with just a single short little special on it.
Incorrect.
- An album of DBZ classics sung by Aya Hirano will be released
Nope.
- DBZ Abridged will do the Trunks Special
Nope!

Damn it. I'm not good at predicting things.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

cpd12589
Beyond Newbie

Post by cpd12589 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:55 pm

I wanted Viz to release the Kanzenban and thought they were going to but didn't :/

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:49 pm

I had somewhat of a prediction of a new DBZ game that was not a BT/RB game, and it happen with ZBR. I hope 2011 will be a good year for Dragon Ball.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:02 pm

I thought more Daizenshuu. I thought 2010 was the year, but it seems it wasn't.
Too bad.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:05 pm

I hear the first Daizenshuu sold badly here in the US. I don't see Viz releasing Daiz #2-7 anytime soon. Oh can we make DB predictions for 2011 in this thread BTW?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:18 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote: [*]- Viz will cancel the VizBig release and replace it with the Kanzenban release.

If only this came true. :(

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Makaioshin wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote: [*]- Viz will cancel the VizBig release and replace it with the Kanzenban release.

If only this came true. :(
A Kanzenban release could happen... maybe before 2012?

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:26 pm

I thought for sure they would announce a release date for the Movie Dragon Box or the Dragonball Dragon Box.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:48 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hear the first Daizenshuu sold badly here in the US. I don't see Viz releasing Daiz #2-7 anytime soon. Oh can we make DB predictions for 2011 in this thread BTW?
Do data/art books sell that good anyway?! The only ones who would pick them are usually the hardcore fans who wants to know every little detail about their fandom or collectors who like these kind of books, and few of them actually read what's in there.

--

As for 2011 predictions, I suggest we wait till the end of the year.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:06 am

Let's see:
-New animated Dragon Ball movie by Toei is announced (The plot will take place either during Z or post-Z), but won't premiere until either March or December of 2011. I choose these two months because that tends to be the pattern with Toei's One Piece movies and should hold true for Dragon Ball. It's either the winter holidays, or over spring break in Japan. Depending on the plot, the Kai label may be used.
HA! I wish...

-Kai will cover all of the manga arcs. Garlic Jr arc and the Ano-yo Tournament arc will be skipped. The Great Saiyaman arc will be greatly reduced. We will lose the "Goku and Piccolo learn to Drive" episode and I'll miss it.
Half true. They did skip Garlic (and the driving episode), but right now the show itself is up in the air so there may or may not even be a Buu arc.

-New Dragon Box release every 3 months until Funi completes it. DBox the Movies announced for the 2010 holiday season.
Well, the gap for all of them so far hasn't been exactly 3 months, but it's been fairly consistent give or take a month here and there. No movie DBox though. :(

-Sequel to the Kai DS game.
Ah, I think I was way too optimistic here. ^^;;

-DB DS 2 will have the NES game still intact and unlike its predecessor, retain the original Japanese voices as they did with the Kai DS game.
I don't recall if this one happened or not because I never ended up buying the game. I want to say it did use dub voices and didn't have the NES game in it though.

-More VizBig delays, but they will finish this release (eventually).
Came true. I've seen the final volume in bookstores.

-Jump Special released by Funi in the 4th Quarter.
Sadly no. TT_TT I want to buy this so much, Funi! Please make it happen eventually.

-Something will be announced concerning the sequel to the live action movie's 2011 IMDB listing. Either FOX will come out and say "No we will not be moving forward on this project" and pull the listing from the site or maybe they'll say something else. I'm kind of betting on the former at this point. I just can't see Chatku returning considering how little money they made.
Hah! Any and all "live action movie" related news has disappeared into the ether. Not sure how I feel about that. The IMDB listing says Paramount has the rights now, but as I've found out, IMDB itself is very unreliable because anyone can edit anything about it.

-TFS will get halfway through Season 2/the Freeza arc by the end of the year.
I kind of want to say true. They reached the Ginyu Force part. Goku hasn't quite arrived yet, but it's still pretty close.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:54 am

Movie Dragon Box
DBGT Dragon Box

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:41 am

I thought that Funimation would dub all the insert songs for Kai.

I was wrong.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:34 am

I predicted Kanzenban from VIZ...there was no Kanzenban to be had. :cry:

Can I start a 2011 predictions thread or are we waiting on the podcast episode thread for that?