The One Piece X DragonBall Cross Epoch (English) Discussion!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The One Piece X DragonBall Cross Epoch (English) Discuss

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Herms wrote:I don't know, I think "We're in way too big a hurry for this crap" does sound kinda out of character for Goku. Sure Goku swears and is rude, but somehow that just doesn't sound like something he'd say. I can't really put my finger on exactly why. Maybe it's the idea that Goku would be so goal-oriented and dismissive of things instead of being distracted by the first shiny object to cross his path. But then, I haven't actually read the special in any form and am just judging the line out of context, so what do I know?

Also, Viz's Shonen Jump allows swear words now? When did this happen?
Well, when you find out where Goku and Luffy are going and why, it makes more sense that he's not really interested in what looks to be something they've gone through about a dozen times before. It makes sense Goku's really not interested at all and more set on getting to his destination.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Now I'm curious. What was the original line Goku said in that scene?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm

*digs out Weekly Jump issue*

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:55 am

I'm going to do something I haven't done in over 4 years...buy a Shonen Jump.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 am

VegettoEX wrote:*digs out Weekly Jump issue*

*snip*
And... what does that translate to?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 am

According to other translations, something along the lines of:

Luffy: "Hey!!! You're in our way!!!"
Goku: "They're so persistent. We're in a hurry, too. ...There's no other way..."
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:38 am

Son Geeko wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:*digs out Weekly Jump issue*

*snip*
And... what does that translate to?
Where are Julian and/or Herms when you need them!?!

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:07 am

Well, he definitely doesn't said anything like "crap" (unless you think "shitsukee" means "crap").

I'm actually more surprised by the fact that Goku said "crap" in an American Shonen Jump.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah, Goku's saying something like "We're kinda in a rush so... ain't got a choice." The Viz translation seems... kinda out of left-field.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Welp, while it's not entirely out of Goku's character, it isn't apparently accurate to what he said originally. =O
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Well I'm sad. I spent 5 bucks for 10 pages(and a pretty nifty Yu-gi-oh card). I was kind of expecting more... maybe even a plot. I dunno it was fun (and the humor was great) but I don't feel satisfied and the ending was just lame. Maybe I'm being too much of a butt. I might go back and check out the other manga in the Shonen Jump just to get my $5 worth.

On the plus side the Dragonball picture on the first page was beautiful.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm an enormous DragonBall and One Piece fan...so I picked this up.
And after never reading Cross Epoch before...it was fantastic.
The end cracked me up. A tea party. :D

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Picked up my copy today on my weekly Wal Mart run. I don't have a problem spending the $5. That's just what the magazine goes for. I was especially happy to see the last few pages printed in color. I honestly had expected grey scale printing. If 5 bucks is too much for you, nobody is forcing you to buy it. For me, DB ans OP are by far my two favorite Manga series, so the chance to see Oda and Toriyama working together is worth the price of admission.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:19 am

CODii wrote:Picked up my copy today on my weekly Wal Mart run. I don't have a problem spending the $5. That's just what the magazine goes for. I was especially happy to see the last few pages printed in color. I honestly had expected grey scale printing. If 5 bucks is too much for you, nobody is forcing you to buy it. For me, DB ans OP are by far my two favorite Manga series, so the chance to see Oda and Toriyama working together is worth the price of admission.
Never said it was too much money. It's only five bucks. I'm just sad because I was expecting more. I ran to the bookstore to pick this up(along with my monthy PtOM) with a huge smile on my face. Started reading got really excited and was left wanting more...much more. I guess I got too excited for something that was only supposed to be fan service.

Imagine if Oda and Toriyama had worked on a story to really flesh out why the worlds were combined. Why Zolo and Piccolo where together(what a badass combination) or why Bulma and Nami were in space. I'm just bummed because I see the potential of this and it could have gone so much further in awesomeness. Oh well, what can I say my expectations are too high. Can't say it wasn't cute, because it was...I just wanted more.

why does it take 500 fucking chapters to explain the begging of Naruto? This is why I stopped reading a long time ago!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:26 am

Toriyama's artwork is really nice in this special. I wish it were like that in the Boo arc.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 am

Actually I'm curious about where Gohan is in all of this. Is Cross Epoch's universe one where Goku never met Chi-Chi?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:20 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote: Never said it was too much money. It's only five bucks. I'm just sad because I was expecting more. I ran to the bookstore to pick this up(along with my monthy PtOM) with a huge smile on my face. Started reading got really excited and was left wanting more...much more. I guess I got too excited for something that was only supposed to be fan service.

Imagine if Oda and Toriyama had worked on a story to really flesh out why the worlds were combined. Why Zolo and Piccolo where together(what a badass combination) or why Bulma and Nami were in space. I'm just bummed because I see the potential of this and it could have gone so much further in awesomeness. Oh well, what can I say my expectations are too high. Can't say it wasn't cute, because it was...I just wanted more.
Alright, that makes total sense to me. I definitely wouldn't mind to see them do more stuff together. Their works have so much in common. Their teaming up just seems so natural. I had already read a scanslation of the chapter so I knew what to expect. I can't remember what I had thought about it back when I first read it. I was probably underwhelmed myself.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:51 am

Chuquita wrote:Actually I'm curious about where Gohan is in all of this. Is Cross Epoch's universe one where Goku never met Chi-Chi?

I guess there was no one he could've been paired up with. Aside from the Vegeta/Trunks/Robin/Ussop group, which was weird but extremely funny, the characters that were paired up with usually had something in common personality wise.

Tbh, I see kid Gohan to be closer character wise to Chopper than Krillin, but Krillin is a far more symbolic and recognisable DB character. ( Actually, Dende was the best fit for this)

The Piccolo/Zoro pair is by far my favorite part of this and their little interaction with Krillin and Chopper.

"Errr...two tickets please"
"LIAR! You were planning to hijack the train "
:lol:

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:02 am

I work at an A&P and they actually sell Shounen Jump there. I'll have to check it they have it in when I go to work tomorrow. Hopefully they do.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Just got the issue in the mail today. It was a nice short story. I'd like to see Toei make a special of this story and Funimation dub and release it here. Would be interesting considering several guys talking to themselves on both sides of the Pacific.