Looking for a particular Toriyama quote about Trunks.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Looking for a particular Toriyama quote about Trunks.

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:18 pm

The one where he says that if he'd known the story would continue beyond Cell he would have found a way to keep future Trunks involved with the story. I'm sure I remember reading it and I'm half sure it was a reliable source, but I can't find it anywhere now.

Is it real or not?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Looking for a particular Toriyama quote about Trunks.

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:45 am

I've heard someone mention that before, but haven't ever seen such an interview.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:11 am

How does that even make sense? The next arc began right after the chapter that Trunks last appeared in.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:14 am

I'm guessing it's a rumour.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:How does that even make sense? The next arc began right after the chapter that Trunks last appeared in.
People seem to have this idea that Toriyama kept getting informed at the last possible minute that Jump wanted him to continue the series. Which doesn't make much sense, but that's rumors for you.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Even then, it's not like Trunks couldn't show up during the Great Saiyaman arc for a visit. :?

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 pm

I hope it's true.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Probably not.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm

There wasn't really any place for him anyway... I think he worked better as a one saga character, since it sort of adds to his uniqueness. And I say that despite the fact that he's one of my favourite characters.

And having him show up would have taken away from Kid Trunks a little.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote: And having him show up would have taken away from Kid Trunks a little.
Kid Trunks always needed a big brother, so it could actually work out in some kind of way.
I am not much for him being introduced after the Cell arc, though (his mission was to become stronger and help Goku and the others out after all) and he did have his mother in his own timeline.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Future Trunks served his purpose by the time Cell was killed. His role in the story was to protect the past from going through the same nightmare as his timeline, so once Cell was finally dead his mission was complete. While I don't like the kids' role in the Boo saga all that much, the Gotenks part would have been worth less if big Trunks was still around. Future Trunks and little Trunks are two very different characters and I think you need Future Trunks to be absent during Boo to see this properly.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Godo wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:And having him show up would have taken away from Kid Trunks a little.
Kid Trunks always needed a big brother
Says who? Besides, Gohan might as well have filled in that role (they played together) and Goten was something of a little brother to Trunks.

I think if Future Trunks was included in the story after Cell arc, it would feel a little too much like fanservice. As others have said, he had no place in the story afterwards. Destroying the Androids and Cell and returning peace to his time was the perfect round-off to his character arc.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Heh......it would be Mecha Freeza all over again....heh heh.....Toriyama wouldn't resist.

Chibi Trunks would be soooo impressed.....Vegeta wouldn't exist anymore. :lol:

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: Says who?
Since I posted it: Says I.
Piccolo Daimao wrote: Gohan might as well have filled in that role (they played together) and Goten was something of a little brother to Trunks.
Sure he could. But he was there, and he didn't.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:47 pm

I remember hearing it, but I don't think I've ever seen proof that it's true.
Trans rights, now!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Godo wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: Says who?
Since I posted it: Says I.
OK. :lol:
Godo wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: Gohan might as well have filled in that role (they played together) and Goten was something of a little brother to Trunks.
Sure he could. But he was there, and he didn't.
I'm saying Gohan can stand in as a big brother for Trunks, because we know that they were friends who played together. And since Goten was Trunks' best friend, he can stand in as a little brother to Trunks. And besides, Future Trunks wouldn't be any more of a big brother than Gohan was. Gohan would probably be closer to Kid Trunks than Future Trunks ever would be because he's known and been friends with him longer.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Meh, you guys want to take Toriyama's only successful attempt at writing a character out of the series away? :P
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock: