Did God ever know what "Piccolo" meant?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Did God ever know what "Piccolo" meant?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Do you think the God of Earth ever knew what "Piccolo" meant, other than it just being the password for his ship? If Mr. Popo, who'd been taught by him, knew its meaning, then shouldn't the child of Katatz know as well?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Did God ever know what "Piccolo" meant?

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:56 pm

I think it's pretty obviouse he did. He might have just not thought much of it.

I actually go so far as to believe that Kami's name before he split up with his evil side and became "Kami" might have actually been Piccolo.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Michsi wrote:I think it's pretty obviouse he did. He might have just not thought much of it.

I actually go so far as to believe that Kami's name before he split up with his evil side and became "Kami" might have actually been Piccolo.
Yeah, same here. My opinion's based, most specifically, on Suupaa Gohan 2's post in this thread.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: Yeah, same here. My opinion's based, most specifically, on Suupaa Gohan 2's post in this thread.
That's actually pretty close to what I imagined.

I came to consider this as a possibilty when I wasn thinking why Daimao chose Piccolo in the first place and that kami definetly had a name before. It think it makes an awfull lot of sense.

I also don't think Piccolo was his real namekian name (if Katatz had named him) but he chose this because the word "Piccolo" held some importance during the earlier in his life. When Piccolo, after fusing, said "I am a namekian who forgot his name long ago" I think he was actually referring to his origonal name.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:36 pm

I´d like to think that the nameless Namek had a different original name like Kuji for example :D
Because in my eyes that would make the split of God and Piccolo more ...radical
-凯

XxVidel-MrSatanxX

Post by XxVidel-MrSatanxX » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:22 am

Michsi wrote:I think it's pretty obviouse he did. He might have just not thought much of it.

It's entirely possible that his name was Tim before he split. There's no way to know what his name was prior, it could have even been Morgus.
<3Videl<3

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 am

XxVidel-MrSatanxX wrote: It's entirely possible that his name was Tim before he split. There's no way to know what his name was prior, it could have even been Morgus.
Except that his alter ego isn't named Tim or Morgus.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 am

Michsi wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: Yeah, same here. My opinion's based, most specifically, on Suupaa Gohan 2's post in this thread.
That's actually pretty close to what I imagined.

I came to consider this as a possibilty when I wasn thinking why Daimao chose Piccolo in the first place and that kami definetly had a name before. It think it makes an awfull lot of sense.

I also don't think Piccolo was his real namekian name (if Katatz had named him) but he chose this because the word "Piccolo" held some importance during the earlier in his life. When Piccolo, after fusing, said "I am a namekian who forgot his name long ago" I think he was actually referring to his origonal name.
I fully agree with this.

And yes, he did know what Piccolo meant, given that he taught Mr. Popo Namekian.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Do you think Piccolo Daimao acknowledged this when he named himself "Piccolo Daimao", even though he didn't know that he was from another world? Or maybe he was saying that he was from "another world" because he originated from another being, or, as a Demon King, he came from a world of demons or Hell, something like that.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:17 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Do you think Piccolo Daimao acknowledged this when he named himself "Piccolo Daimao", even though he didn't know that he was from another world? Or maybe he was saying that he was from "another world" because he originated from another being, or, as a Demon King, he came from a world of demons or Hell, something like that.
This honestly just makes me agree more with the idea that before he split, God/Piccolo just used "Piccolo" as a name. I could see him simply using "Piccolo" as a name because it was the only word he used on a regular basis, and when asked, that was just what he replied, but I doubt he'd deliberately name himself something that would equate to "The Great Demon King of Another World," considering God seemed to be pretty convinced that he was an Earthling, as we hear when Nappa blurts out that he's really a Namekian. As for what would be "another world," I couldn't see it being a world of demons or hell, because, to be blunt, it's not like he comes from hell, and he had to create his world of demons, which everyone else would live in anyway. The significance of it makes no sense if he doesn't realize he's a Namekian, so I think it gives more credence to Supaa Gohan 2's theory.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Kiyza wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Do you think Piccolo Daimao acknowledged this when he named himself "Piccolo Daimao", even though he didn't know that he was from another world? Or maybe he was saying that he was from "another world" because he originated from another being, or, as a Demon King, he came from a world of demons or Hell, something like that.
This honestly just makes me agree more with the idea that before he split, God/Piccolo just used "Piccolo" as a name. I could see him simply using "Piccolo" as a name because it was the only word he used on a regular basis, and when asked, that was just what he replied, but I doubt he'd deliberately name himself something that would equate to "The Great Demon King of Another World," considering God seemed to be pretty convinced that he was an Earthling, as we hear when Nappa blurts out that he's really a Namekian. As for what would be "another world," I couldn't see it being a world of demons or hell, because, to be blunt, it's not like he comes from hell, and he had to create his world of demons, which everyone else would live in anyway. The significance of it makes no sense if he doesn't realize he's a Namekian, so I think it gives more credence to Supaa Gohan 2's theory.
Yeah, that's what I thought. "Daimao" was just a title the evil half of the child of Katatz attached to his adopted name, "Piccolo", to signfy his demonism. His name and title just happened to mean "Great Demon King of Another World".