The Brazilian and Latino Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Aired Today

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The Brazilian and Latino Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Aired Today

Post by wjbraden » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:36 pm

On Cartoon Network Brazil and Latin America, both dubs premiered today. A couple of thing to note are that the Yamamoto score is kept in its entirety. The footage used for both dubs is the Nicktoons edited version, so no blood, short OP & ED, Nicktoons version title cards (they didn't translate them, but a narrator said the title in each respective language). However the Latino dub seem to follow the Funimation script, while the Brazilian dub follows the Japanese. That's about it for now. The episodes will be premiering at 12:00pm and a repeat at 12:25am in all of Brazil and Latin America Monday-Friday, except for Mexico, where the episode will air at 2:00pm with no midnight repeat.

Adiós/Adeus!
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The Brazilian and Latino Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Aired To

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Is the only way to see these on the South American Cartoon Networks?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 pm

wjbraden wrote:On Cartoon Network Brazil and Latin America, both dubs premiered today. A couple of thing to note are that the Yamamoto score is kept in its entirety.
This is what I find most interesting. I figured that for any international dubs that have already been in the works, it would be too late to replace the score entirely, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to them in the long run as far as the music goes. One can assume that the Yamamoto music will go away eventually, but the question is how long it'll be before that happens.
nathantheguitarist wrote:Is the only way to see these on the South American Cartoon Networks?
I second this. It'd be nice if there is a way for those of us outside of South America to see these dubs.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm

It is obvious that they are using the Nicktoons edited version, but there is a change. They inserted the opening between Freeza's fire and Bardock's death.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 am

Yay! That means my Nicktoons Edits Guide has even more relevance now! Crazy to think, they could find out what's going to be edited 50 episodes in advance. :lol:

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:57 pm

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:08 pm

I'll take the Kai edits the fan groups were doing with the old dub over these guys. This is pretty meh. :?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm

I forget, were everyone in the Mexican dub recast (due to pay) or did a few return?
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Oh lord, they kept Linda Young's laugh in the mexican dub. That's hilarious(ly stupid).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:25 am

Puto wrote:Oh lord, they kept Linda Young's laugh in the mexican dub. That's hilarious(ly stupid).
The first laugh was Linda, but the other laughs are of whoever is playing Freeza in the Mexican dub.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Nice! Sounds like most of the Mexican cast returned.

Some of those scenes were mirrored. :shock:

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 am

G1Ravage wrote:Nice! Sounds like most of the Mexican cast returned.

Some of those scenes were mirrored. :shock:
I used the "mirror effect" on the video to avoid copyright problems :P

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 am

Goku's voice sucks...

trunkschan90
Beyond Newbie

Post by trunkschan90 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 am

Piccolo and Gohan's voices aren't bad, sound almost like the originals. But Bardock's and Goku's voices , it's just not the same without Mario Castañeda.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Wow, like 4 different people came back :? I guess it's ok, but I'm just too biased toward it. Plus the biggest changes were with Goku/Vegeta and they sound so different it's not just the same

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Wasn't it the VA's for Chi Chi/Chiaotzu, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Bulma's 1st voice & Krillin's 2nd voice that came back?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 am

Well, from my understanding, Irwin Daayan did some of his own research on the proper names for people and attacks by asking the fans on Twitter. So, all names at least will retain their proper Japanese pronunciation (you'll notice that Bardock refers to "Kakarott" as "Kakarotto," just like they do in Japanese and how they referred to it in the original Mexican Spanish dub). Similarly, "Saiyans" are also being referred to as "Saiya-jins," in this dub. Interestingly enough, they've also corrected a mispronunciation that was prevalent in their previous dub. Whereas before they seemed to be pronouncing Vegeta as "Vay-gay-tuh," now they're actually pronouncing it properly.

...Still, I doubt that's much compensation for the fact that the Mexican Spanish dub of Kai has had almost their entire voice cast replaced and that their dub of Kai is based on a censored English dub. Yet another clear indicator that the anime industry is in trouble, as far as I'm concerned. They replaced the voice cast for the same reason they're using censored footage and indirect translations--it's cheaper.

EDIT (ADDITION): Also, to everybody asking, you can watch the episodes on YouTube if you look hard enough, but they're being taken down as fast as they're being put up...and interestingly, FUNimation keeps being cited as the copyright owner. My guess is that it's probably a bot, but I still found it worth noting.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Did vegeta appear yet? remember in the Mexdub of DBZ they called the planet Bejita and the guy ve-GET-uh. so wait until he actually appears to see if they pronounce his name the right way.

Zeta

Post by Zeta » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:49 pm

After watching a couple of YT videos of this new "Mexican dub", it saddens me that this new production has made lot's of dub errors, and that is just freaking sad. Whoever is in charge of this dub production has really failed on doing their job, I say; from the beginning of this new dub project for Latin America, the dub production should of have worked with original content (scripts/original uncut footage) from TOEI, not from Funimation..., and this whole thing should just be canceled or start over.

May GOD have mercy! on this dub production. :(

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:06 am

I remember reading a rumor somewhere that there would actually be two versions of the Mexican Spanish dub of Kai, a censored dub and an uncut dub. In either case, however, they would both be based on the English version, with the "uncut" Spanish dub still being based on the scripts of the uncut English dub. If that's the case, it would explain how they were able to make full Spanish versions of the opening and ending themes. In theory, if they *only* recieved the Nicktoons-censored version, they would only have the 1:00-minute version of "Dragon Soul," but they have the 1:30 version and made a Spanish dub of it.

Has this come to pass?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."