Favourite/Least Favourite Cover Art

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Favourite/Least Favourite Cover Art

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 am

What's your favourite cover art for anything?! Books, DVDs, Video Games, CDs, etc.

I personally love the 'Funimation' cover art for Movie 7/DBZ Movie4. They took an awesome cover and made it better by re-colouring some of the characters to make them accurate to their final designs used in the movie. I also like the adjusting they did to Goku to make him look half Kaioken, half Super Saiyan. This cover art definitely grabbed me when I saw it on shelves.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Favourite/Least Favourite Cover Art

Post by TonyTheTiger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:11 am

The DBZ movie 3 poster that's the cover of the laserdisc. The composition is just fantastic.

My least favorite is probably FUNi's DBZ movie 7 cover. I don't know where they got that or why it looks airbrushed. It looks like bad fanart.

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm

I have a ton of favorite covers but 2 of my top 5 are the Cell Games ORIGINAL "Earth's Last Hope" Cover and an old Dragonball Z Beckett magazine cover/poster. That poster of Majin Buu is freaking amazing! I had it framed, I didn't want anything to happen to it
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Post by Echo64 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:56 pm

I don't like this drawing at all, and they used it again on the back of Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part Four!
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:10 pm

I honestly hated all of the covers for FUNI's single releases. I mean seriously, using a screencap for cover art? Lame.

I liked the Dragon Ball covers, and Pioneer's cover for the "Dead Zone" movie.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:34 pm

These are my two favorite.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Mosaic wrote:I honestly hated all of the covers for FUNI's single releases. I mean seriously, using a screencap for cover art? Lame.

I liked the Dragon Ball covers, and Pioneer's cover for the "Dead Zone" movie.
I think it was really the best option, and it usually worked pretty well.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:18 am

Echo64 wrote: *Image Freeza*

I don't like this drawing at all, and they used it again on the back of Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part Four!
It's the only Final Freeza picture that looks like effort was put into it......so yeah......bummer.

I feel like a broken record. Image

The other characters never look good on covers. They're just angry savages or the cover isn't nearly artistic enough. I guess you can't make Toriyama do everything.

So for Least Favorite......the rest.

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 am

I really liked the cover art on the Pioneer DBZ releases and the first Dragon Ball releases by FUNimation. I don't like the cover art of the FUNimation singles or the brick sets.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:17 am

I love the promotional art for DragonBall Z: Legends. I even have the poster ad! I need to frame this...

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 am

Echo64 wrote:[SNIP]
I don't get it, what's so bad about this drawing. I love it!

Some of my favorite book covers are the ones with cars or some sort of machine on it. Like these:

ImageImageImage

I'm not a big car enthusiastic but there's something about these covers that I love.

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:45 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I love the promotional art for DragonBall Z: Legends. I even have the poster ad! I need to frame this...

DUDE! :shock: That's awesome! I want 1!!!
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:51 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote: I think it was really the best option, and it usually worked pretty well.
Out of all the official artwork out there, and screencaps are their best option? I've seen bootlegs with nicer cover art.

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Post by Echo64 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Scarz wrote:
Echo64 wrote:[SNIP]
I don't get it, what's so bad about this drawing. I love it!
I just can't get my head around the idea of Freeza sitting down, especially like that.
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Mosaic wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote: I think it was really the best option, and it usually worked pretty well.
Out of all the official artwork out there, and screencaps are their best option? I've seen bootlegs with nicer cover art.
But I mean, there's like 90 singles out there. I'm not sure there's official artwork that would look good and fit for a place in at least a third of the episodes. Sure, there probably is, but it would surprise me if it was easy to find, and a more sensible approach than using images of the episodes' best scenes.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Here's something you guys may have not seen before:

^ These are the official Madman covers for the first three movies released in Australia and New Zealand (I always make sure to mention NZ when I talk about Madman so people don't forget that this country exists. :P ). Oddly enough, Madman released all of the movies in sets of three before the 'Double Features' came out, so when the 'Ultimate Uncut Edition' of 'Dead Zone' was released, they replaced the all of the olds one that were included in the box set with the 'UUE' one.
Here's an example of one of those 'Madman Movie Three Packs':
This one included DBZ Movie 13 and the two TV specials. I'll post pictures of the others when I find time.

To finish up, here's another one of my favourite cover arts:

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Mosaic wrote:
But I mean, there's like 90 singles out there. I'm not sure there's official artwork that would look good and fit for a place in at least a third of the episodes. Sure, there probably is, but it would surprise me if it was easy to find, and a more sensible approach than using images of the episodes' best scenes.
Also, Pioneer used up 99% of the good artwork on their DVDs, and even then not all of those covers made complete sense. The stuff they didn't use you can see in the Daizenshuu, and there's no way there was enough to cover everything.

Further, just because artwork exists, doesn't mean they had license to use it. What art belongs to who is a fickle thing, and who's allowed to use what is under the discretion of the owners. If the Japanese say you can't use a piece of artwork, you plain just can't. And a lot of the time they don't even give you a reason.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 pm

So? They could edited the screencaps like they did the movies (as pictured above). Just taking a screencap and slapping a logo on it doesn't do it for me. Sorry.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:40 am

Favourite cover art:
Image Image

Least Favourite:
All the Z season sets.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:05 am

Mosaic wrote:So? They could edited the screencaps like they did the movies (as pictured above). Just taking a screencap and slapping a logo on it doesn't do it for me. Sorry.
They did; not all, but quite a few as time went on.

I can't recall what thread the discussion was in, but we talked about the progression of the covers and how they started to redraw the artwork completely and rework the backgrounds and things as things progressed.

To get back on topic and to be a little more constructive, I'm a big fan of pretty much anything from before the "Z Era" where it shows Goku and Bulma riding on some kind of contraption or dinosaur. (Or dinosaur contraption.)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]