Aspect Ratio Help

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.
SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey all.

In the process of a new AMV, I need a bit of help with aspect ratios.

I've got footage from "The Path to Power" from FUNimations DVD Four Pack, the footage is 4:3. I've also got footage from the Bardock Special, from FUNimations Double Feature, which is 16:9.

I want to do a side-by-side clip for a part in the AMV, now because the aspect ratios are different, there not sitting right together. I tried making the Bardock Special 4:3 (which worked) but I then get black bars on the top of the screen which is noticeable. At the moment I have the Path to Power footage in the top right of the screen while the Bardock footage is sitting on the corner of Path to Power. It looks ok, but not what I want.

Is there any way to make the footage 4:3 without having black bars on the top?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

User avatar
Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:16 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by Savage68 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:46 pm

There's no way to convert 4:3 footage into 16:9 footage or vice-versa without either cropping a noticeable amount of your video or stretching your video to "fit."

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Oh right.

I think I just solved my problem, I changed the "Pixel Aspect Ratio" to "0.9091 (NTSC DV)". It has stretched the footage, but it looks ok and it's matching Path to Power.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17865
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

That's not the solution you're looking for. It's doing things to the footage that you're not understanding, and it's not going to help your final output.

What Savage68 said still stands.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:That's not the solution you're looking for. It's doing things to the footage that you're not understanding, and it's not going to help your final output.

What Savage68 said still stands.
Never mind then. I guess I'll stick with the normal aspect ratio and sit the clip on the corner.

Thanks any way though.

Edit: I've got a video sample of the clip if anyone wants to look at? It looks ok to me, but I'd prefer a second opinion.

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:41 pm

I wouldn't crop any DBZ widescreen footage to 4:3. It will only drive you to madness.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I wouldn't crop any DBZ widescreen footage to 4:3. It will only drive you to madness.
The clip is only 5/10 seconds, so it's not that noticeable. But still, it's not going to look great. :)

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Not sure if you've made it already, but you could just crop the PtP footage into widescreen.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by Cipher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Why not just crop the "Path to Power" footage? The movie was designed to be watchable in 16:9 anyway.

If you're using footage from the series alongside the two movies, you could always manually crop that as well. It could still be completely watchable, a la widescreen Kai.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 pm

If I crop "The Path to Power" wouldn't that mean I'd have black bars on the top and bottom of both videos? I don't really want it like that, it doesn't look good when it's on YouTube.

Here's a sample of the footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BJuBik2qbg

Does that look ok?

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17865
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:19 pm

"Cropping" doesn't necessarily mean "black borders on top of video". You can simply not have video information that exists in that area. If you're working at 640x480, you can get a proper 16:9 aspect ratio around 640x360, removing 60 pixels from both the top and bottom (120 total).

I guess that begs the question... how are you working with the double-feature footage? Are you working in a ~854x480 true 16:9 work space, or are you working in a 640x480 work space in 4:3 with black bars physically encoded into the video? If you want to do the latter, you can just overlay the 60 & 60 pixels black bars over top for yourself to work with, and then just physically remove them in something like VirtualDub later on to get a 360p file.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"Cropping" doesn't necessarily mean "black borders on top of video". You can simply not have video information that exists in that area. If you're working at 640x480, you can get a proper 16:9 aspect ratio around 640x360, removing 60 pixels from both the top and bottom (120 total).

I guess that begs the question... how are you working with the double-feature footage? Are you working in a ~854x480 true 16:9 work space, or are you working in a 640x480 work space in 4:3 with black bars physically encoded into the video? If you want to do the latter, you can just overlay the 60 & 60 pixels black bars over top for yourself to work with, and then just physically remove them in something like VirtualDub later on to get a 360p file.
The video project is 720x480, which is the default. The black bars are fixed on the screen, so if I try and move a clip upwards it starts to disappear, not go over the black bars.

I've just tested out a few video settings with the default 720x480 but changed the "Pixel Format" to "32-bit floating pointing (full range)" that seems to have got rid of the fixed black bars. I think the easiest way would be to change "The Path to Power" to 16:9, if I want the footage perfectly aligned. Even if I get rid of the black bars on the Bardock footage it still won't look right next to The Path to Power.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17865
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:49 pm

I would say that unless you're making something for DVD, don't bother with 720x480 -- it's a size that's only used for DVD creation (and specifically to produce both 16:9 and 4:3 video by using the same dimensions and square vs rectangular pixel sizes), and is going to introduce confusion that you've already had.

The easiest way to do what you want to do is just going to be to work at a standard ol' 4:3 aspect ratio at 640x480 and manually crop DB movie 4 with some black bars over top (which, as I said, you can just flat-out remove later on with VirtualDub so you won't have a double-pillar-boxed final product on YouTube). The end result will only be 360p instead of 480p, but eh.

There's a lot more that could and should go into this, but without a thorough understanding of what's driving it all, you're best off just working as I've described.

Just for the heck of it, here are some black bars with a transparent 640x360 inner area to overlay on the video just to keep yourself sane and with a proper visual representation in the process (PSD / PNG).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Oh, I didn't realise that setting was used for making DVDs, it's the default on Sony Vegas.
VegettoEX wrote: There's a lot more that could and should go into this, but without a thorough understanding of what's driving it all, you're best off just working as I've described.
Is there a better way of doing this? What types of information would I need to give for you to have a full understanding of what's going on with the project? I'd love to find a good fix for my problem for future projects. I'm sure I could provide all the information.

Thanks for your solution to my problem, I really appreciate the help.

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm

SSJSteve wrote:If I crop "The Path to Power" wouldn't that mean I'd have black bars on the top and bottom of both videos?
You could just put a border there. There's something I threw together in Vegas with Path to Power cropped into 16:9. There's also my settings in case you're wondering.
Image
Image

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Aspect Ratio Help

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks Pokewhiz7.

I'll go back and start the AMV again with those setting. :)

Post Reply