Kai Part 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Part 5 Discussion Thread

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:26 pm

After hearing the ripped version of Kokoro No Hane I have changed my opinion of the dubbed version. I really like it a lot. Just about as much as the Japanese version. The people who sung it did a really nice job with it. Its a really nice song so good job to Funimation on the dub.

As for Dragon Soul with Sonny my opinion remains the same. I still like his version although his voice sounds strained at times. Its my third favorite version of Dragon Soul with my first favorite being Vic's and second Greg's.

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Post by Echo64 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:58 pm

This version of Dragon Soul is okay, I prefer it more than the last two though because they used Vic's background vocals.
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Is anyone else bothered that there's no "marathon" on these kai dvds? It would've been nice if there was an option, instead of pressing skip 5 times just so you won't have to hear dragon soul hundreds of times.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Yeah, hitting skip a few times overtaxes me, too.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Is anyone else bothered that there's no "marathon" on these kai dvds? It would've been nice if there was an option, instead of pressing skip 5 times just so you won't have to hear dragon soul hundreds of times.
This. I'd especially like it if they took out the recaps too so it'd be more like a theatrical type thing.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Codarik wrote:How about Piccolo's lines about "Vegeta out buying formula"
That's still in there. I specifically remember it.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 pm

2 pages and noone mentioned the music....? Kukuchi or Yamamoto?

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:2 pages and noone mentioned the music....? Kukuchi or Yamamoto?
Kukuchi.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Codarik wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:2 pages and noone mentioned the music....? Kukuchi or Yamamoto?
Kukuchi.
.....fuck...

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Yeah, Kikuchi's been confirmed for a bit now.

Also, penguintruth, the whole "Vegeta holding us hostage" line isn't on the home release, though I don't know if you'll like it any better.

"You don't think Vegeta's gonna spaz out and kill us all, do you?"

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:55 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:Yeah, Kikuchi's been confirmed for a bit now.

Also, penguintruth, the whole "Vegeta holding us hostage" line isn't on the home release, though I don't know if you'll like it any better.

Other than the "spaz out" part, I think it's a large improvement.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Well, Kikuchi's score being on this set is a huge disappointment. Once again, we aren't going to get a perfect release.
So mondo lame.

Cacarot

Post by Cacarot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:20 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:Well, Kikuchi's score being on this set is a huge disappointment. Once again, we aren't going to get a perfect release.
I totally agree. Hopefully if they ever get to the buu arc they will find someone to compose a new score. The Kikuchi score was fine for Z back in the day but it doesnt fit with the faster paced Kai.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Cacarot wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:Well, Kikuchi's score being on this set is a huge disappointment. Once again, we aren't going to get a perfect release.
I totally agree. Hopefully if they ever get to the buu arc they will find someone to compose a new score. The Kikuchi score was fine for Z back in the day but it doesnt fit with the faster paced Kai.
I agreed with you guys until I actually sat down and watched a few episodes today. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and so far the music seems to fit the scenes pretty well. While the Yamamoto score will be missed and Kikuchi's isn't perfect, it's still pretty good.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm really a mixed bag on the Kikuchi score in this set, because I absolutely loved the new Yamamoto music for this arc. However, it isn't all that bad, and definitely makes it feel even more like the Z dub we should have got. Just kinda strange having the Z score and not hearing Battle Point Unlimited when Trunks shows up. Yamamoto had 2 chances to compose music for Trunks killing Freeza, and both times he infringed on copyright laws. Idiot.

Also, I dunno if it did this with the original Kai score, but when Trunks cuts Freeza down the middle, the music is in full swing and it stops entirely in literally an instant... but in a really good way. BADASSERN' HELL. 8)

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:30 pm

The english Kokoro no hane is quite decent and still makes me want to flip my wings and fly away. :mrgreen:

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Cacarot wrote:I totally agree. Hopefully if they ever get to the buu arc they will find someone to compose a new score. The Kikuchi score was fine for Z back in the day but it doesnt fit with the faster paced Kai.
I doubt they're going to get to the Boo arc any time soon. But if Toei does eventually sprout a little interest and "Kai" the Boo arc, they probably will still use the Kikuchi score. I mean, they're really cheap. They don't want to spend money.
xzero wrote:I agreed with you guys until I actually sat down and watched a few episodes today. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and so far the music seems to fit the scenes pretty well. While the Yamamoto score will be missed and Kikuchi's isn't perfect, it's still pretty good.
Well, it's Kikuchi. His music is quite good and would fit in with anything related to Dragon Ball. But Kai is supposed to be a "refreshed" version of Dragon Ball Z, and using the same music as they did with the previous series really doesn't give the feeling that you're watching a total update that enhances the original series and its greatness, but rather a.... really fucked-up redo of a great series. Also, now that Nagasaki left the Kai team, there will obviously be bad choices as far as music placement goes. Not saying Nagasaki was a great placer of music, but, in my opinion, he did quite well with episodes 96 and 97, and the previous episodes with the Yamamoto score. The Kikuchi music placement for the Freeza arc isn't as great as one would imagine (the Z version of those episodes had great music). I mean, they keep repeating a bunch of the same music and it gets repetitive, annoying, and tedious. From what you say about the early Jinzouningen music placement being good, I would have to see for myself to believe you. This whole Kikuchi VS Yamamoto thing is just based on personal preference, and in my opinion, for Kai, at least, the Yamamoto score is way better.
So mondo lame.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:19 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:Also, penguintruth, the whole "Vegeta holding us hostage" line isn't on the home release, though I don't know if you'll like it any better.

I would have said that it was probably a dub line, because it reeks of censorship, but considering the "DUDE! MY TRUCK!!!" line was kept in the uncut release...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:50 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:Also, I dunno if it did this with the original Kai score, but when Trunks cuts Freeza down the middle, the music is in full swing and it stops entirely in literally an instant... but in a really good way. BADASSERN' HELL. 8)
When I first watched that scene the other day, the BGM was playing and I thought to myself, "You know, the song isn't bad, but it's highly inappropriate for such an epic moment. Everything should go quiet the second Trunks slices him down the middle." Then literally 5 seconds after I think that, it actually happens. That was the moment I realized that whoever was handling this new music mix knew what they were doing.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Almost finished with the set now, and I have to say, the Kikuchi score in Kai isn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

The only real problem is that they have such a large catalog of songs to pick from, yet it sounds like they're just only picking from maybe a dozen. Odds are they just pick a Kikuchi song that sounds somewhat close to whatever Yamamoto track is supposed to be playing, and slap it on there. There are exceptions to this rule, but I'd say about 90% of the time, that's what's going on.

It's just a real downer when the eyecatch music plays and you're reminded of what the show is supposed to sound like. :/