So is all of Kai Season 1?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

So is all of Kai Season 1?

Post by gotensottile » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 pm

At this point, where we are going into the Cell Arc, FUNimation still labels the releases as Season 1....I don't see any real cutoff point for a Season 2, considering we are more than halfway through the series.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: So is all of Kai Season 1?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 pm

None of the actual packaging is labeled as "Season 1" -- it's all just "Part #".

It's possible that they were planning on breaking it up into seasons at some early point and that got shoved into their product database, which in turn got repeated in all the distributor databases, and gets propagated to this day.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:36 pm

For Dragon Ball, there were no such thing as "seasons". Most of the time, there were no breaks in between arcs and episodes, and the series ran on a weekly basis from 1984-1996. There were some breaks, but they were never labeled as "seasons" in Japan, so in FUNimation's releases that say "Season #", it could be questionable as they themselves split the series up into seasons.
So mondo lame.

falle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by falle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Funimation doesn't really label them as seasons, but correct me if I'm wrong, I seem to remember back when Part 1 was announced, the first mock-up clearly said Season 1 - Part 1 on the cover.

That way, there'd be a Season 1 - Part 2 later on, and again, I seem to remember people saying they'd wait for full seasons (because that was Funimation's "thing"). All of a sudden, a new cover showed up saying just Part 1. Shops have since kept the "season/part" style, but there's only "parts".

I could be mistaking, but I almost positive that I am right :?:
Yes - nu med Level 1.1 !

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:04 pm

You know, I've actually thought for a while that if Kai ever went with the Buu saga that it could be labeled under Season 2.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:24 am

Well, if Toei ever decides to continue Kai and do a Majin Boo arc, it would certainly be an actual "season two".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am

If you think about it, DB/Z wasn't even broken up into "Seasons" based on arcs (Piccolo or the Cell/Boo arcs), they were more like, "Hey we packed our limit of episodes onto this release, next season's on the way).