A Fellow Member Converts

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: A Fellow Member Converts

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:20 am

DanielGClapp wrote:Are you forgetting that Goku is not a young boy anymore? I mean I'm cool with the whole idea of Goku keeping his youthful qualities, but seriously, who usually voices grown men? Oh that's right, grown men.
Are you forgetting that it's a cartoon? Is it because it's a bit unrealistic? I don't see anyone complaining about Vegeta's English voice, because who the hell talks like that in real life. Or how about a whole boat-load of voices who were miscast simply due to appearance? Just cause he looks like it doesn't mean he should be cast as such. Goku is a kid trapped in a grown man's body. So much for not judging books by their covers.

And what exactly do you consider a grown man's voice? Do you mean someone who always talk in a bass range or what? Everyone's vocal chords are different, so who says Goku didn't drop enough octaves? And really if you watched through all of DB you can see just how subtlety the voices gets deeper as the series goes on.

Is it as "manly" as others? Maybe not. Is it feminine? Far from.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:53 am

Before, I used to think Goku's Japanese voice was just weird, foreign thing. Nowadays I find it amusing in a bad kind of way.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:19 am

DanielGClapp wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:Is it because you think he sounds like a woman? What woman talks like this? If anything it sounds more like a youthful boy-ish voice. And who usually voices young boys? Oh that's right, women.
Are you forgetting that Goku is not a young boy anymore? I mean I'm cool with the whole idea of Goku keeping his youthful qualities, but seriously, who usually voices grown men? Oh that's right, grown men.
Kurama in Yu Yu Hakusho has a female voice actress in the Japanese version, and I have never heard anyone complain about that.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 am

Kurama was also once mistaken for Kuwabara's girlfriend. Besides, his Yoko form is voiced by a dude.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Kurama in Yu Yu Hakusho has a female voice actress in the Japanese version, and I have never heard anyone complain about that.
I don't watch Yu Yu Hakusho.....
AgitoZ wrote:...I don't see anyone complaining about Vegeta's English voice
I see you complaining about it. His voice is very good IMO. It matches him just fine.
...who says Goku didn't drop enough octaves?
He sure forgot to drop something...
It is pretty feminine. I knew it was a woman the first word I heard him say.

TINY, UNREADABLE FONT SIZE REMOVED BY MODERATOR (please don't do that; if you have something to say, say it and stick by it):
Lay off the heat.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Neither the wealth of fans of the original Japanese version or the wealth of fans of FUNimation's English dub want to read petty comments back and forth about Masako Nozawa.

It's BARELY on-topic, so if you don't have something extremely relevant and insightful to toss in a la the original few posts, it's probably not worth adding.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 pm

kaialone wrote:I cant really say that I "converted" to anything. I enjoy the japanese and the german dub the most, but I enjoy both of them in different ways. But it has always been that way.
I prefer to Japanese version for quality, but I love the French dub for nostalgic reasons, and am really happy about the treatment Kai is getting. As far as other dubs goes, I really liked of what I saw of the Korean DBZ dub, the Mexican dbz dbgt, and the Catalan GT dub is funny because Bebi (base form) is so weird, and Chibi Goku's voice does not match at all.

I also have the admit that the English Kai dub has some great punch and power to it, and have been amazed especially by Schemmel's performances who simply blows Patrick Borg's Goku (the French Goku) out of the water, especially when it comes to power up scenes.

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I use to watch Z's english dub. Then I watched the Japanese version, and I was shocked how different (and better) it was. I will admit that I first found Masako Nozawa's voice for Goku to be ridiculous and unfitting. But after I watched more episodes (Mostly the Saiyan Arc), her voice quickly grew on me. Goku isn't a wannabe superhero. He's a youthful hick who likes to fight.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:52 am

When creating this thread, I knew I was mostly stickin' a big middle-finger to all the defending I've ever given the original Z dub but, eh, I said screw it. With the Namek episodes I'm up to via my sets, I couldn't forcefully make myself try and take that dub seriously anymore. Heh, and this is coming from someone who swore he wasn't conflicted about what version he was watching. I just guess, underneath, I really was...

I still wish I could watch the Jap. version with Faulconer's score, though. Anyone know why that was never a possible option in any release? I'm oblivious to the whole technical aspect of how something like that could or wouldn't work.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 am

I first started watching the series early on -- mostly Dragon Ball Z, the occasional random episodes of GT and a few movies -- during the big DBZ internet craze. The episodes I watched online were in Japanese with terrible fansubs, and I remember first seeing the Ocean dub of later Saiyan arc and early Namek arc eps.

Back in the day, I just loved the show and I would watch whatever I could get my hands on. But, at the same time, just about everyone had a slow internet connection then, so downloading all of those episodes/movies was completely out of the question. As a result, I watched a lot of the dub.

I really did enjoy the Ocean dub back then, even if the music made me a little sleepy sometimes. I liked the original Japanese music a lot from the beginning, but I had no idea what I was missing when I watched the dub. I was introduced to the original score by A Super Decisive Battle for Earth; I'd honestly say that that movie may have contributed a lot to my love for the franchise, as a whole.

So, eventually, the Bruce Faulconer stuff came about, and I realized that the entire tone of the show had shifted. There were a lot of stupid, annoying pieces that would play and ruin scenes completely (mostly when Bulma or Chi-chi were on screen). Don't even get me started on the really crappy stuff like Mr. Satan's theme. On the other hand, I dug stuff like the Ginyu transformation music and certain battle themes (forgive me, I'm no Faulconer-aficionado).

I ended up watching most of the Buu arc in Japanese on the International Channel, with absolutely no subtitles, but it didn't seem to matter to me. I was really loving it. This made me realize that there was a reason that I loved the earlier films: the freakin' amazing music. So, I started watching the series via DVD singles in the original Japanese version, and it really resulted in me seeing Dragon Ball Z for the very first time. It has a much more serious tone and atmosphere, the music doesn't annoy me, there's no "mondo cool", and the voice acting isn't cringe-worthy.

I'll give credit where credit is due and say that FUNimation really upped their game with Kai, and I watched a great deal of it on Nicktoons, but yeah... *switches back to the Japanese version*

www.KristaMichaels.com

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:38 am

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:I still wish I could watch the Jap. version with Faulconer's score, though. Anyone know why that was never a possible option in any release? I'm oblivious to the whole technical aspect of how something like that could or wouldn't work.
According to kei17, it's because the tapes with the isolated Japanese voices no longer exist. Toei discarded them after mixing the audio (though they kept the music and sound effect tapes for dubbing companies to use).

This is also the reason why the Japanese version of the '80s-'90s TV series has only ever been broadcast and released in mono, except for episode 5 (?) onwards of GT, which are stereo-mixed on Japanese TV.
-Joey

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:09 am

AgitoZ wrote:
SRB2Unleashed wrote:The English dub of Kai is the only one I can take seriously. Sure the Japanese version and all of the dubs have their moments, but I can't take any of them seriously. Japanese version has Goku voiced by a woman (which honestly she should've just voiced Gohan and Goten for Z since I take her seriously like that)
Cause Goku's voiced by a woman you can't take him seriously? Is it because you think he sounds like a woman? What woman talks like this? If anything it sounds more like a youthful boy-ish voice. And who usually voices young boys? Oh that's right, women.

And to all who want a superhero for their main character, go watch another show. One of the reasons I like DB is because the protagonist isn't driven by all that cliched crap of "universe's last hope, fighting for what's right, etc". Goku fights for his friends and just for the heck of it, and that makes him a much more enjoyable and original character.
Ummm what? Even in the context of the Japanese version, Goku certainly feels he has a moral obligation to defend Earth from whatever tries to harm it. Primarily because, often, he is the universe's last hope. Sure, he may not be a do-gooder as he's portrayed in Funi's Z dub, but he certainly fits the bill for traditional action-cartoon protagonist.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:...since when are American children considered younger than Japanese children due solely to nationality?
You....you do realize that there's a significant difference between what can pass for a kids cartoon in Japan and America, right?
AgitoZ wrote:
DanielGClapp wrote:Are you forgetting that Goku is not a young boy anymore? I mean I'm cool with the whole idea of Goku keeping his youthful qualities, but seriously, who usually voices grown men? Oh that's right, grown men.
Are you forgetting that it's a cartoon? Is it because it's a bit unrealistic? I don't see anyone complaining about Vegeta's English voice, because who the hell talks like that in real life. Or how about a whole boat-load of voices who were miscast simply due to appearance? Just cause he looks like it doesn't mean he should be cast as such. Goku is a kid trapped in a grown man's body. So much for not judging books by their covers.

And what exactly do you consider a grown man's voice? Do you mean someone who always talk in a bass range or what? Everyone's vocal chords are different, so who says Goku didn't drop enough octaves? And really if you watched through all of DB you can see just how subtlety the voices gets deeper as the series goes on.

Man, I'm just going down the pages now.

Your argument is kind of confusing: First, you criticize the poster for expecting realism in a cartoon, then you attempt to use realism as a way to justify Goku's japanese voice. Personally, I think Goku's U.S. voice is a much better fit for that character, but I also understand why he sounds the way he does in Japan: Heroes in anime tend to be far more feminine than their western counterparts.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:00 am

This is getting kind of off-topic again, but...
kemuri07 wrote:Personally, I think Goku's U.S. voice is a much better fit for that character, but I also understand why he sounds the way he does in Japan: Heroes in anime tend to be far more feminine than their western counterparts.
It has nothing to do with femininity, at least in this case. There's nothing feminine about Gokuu, appearance-wise or personality-wise. He was a young boy, and young boys are typically voiced by women. And when he grew up, he kept his voice. The same thing happened with Kuririn, and the reverse happened with Vegeta and Trunks (men later voicing their child counterparts). Similar things have happened in western cartoons, like Bart Simpson keeping his actress in episodes about the future, or all the Rugrats boys keeping their actresses in the All Grown Up spinoff.

In other Japanese shows, when it's not about age, it's about personality. Women tend to voice males who are innocent, youthful, or sensitive. Meanwhile, male characters with more rude, rough, or angry personalities tend to be voiced by men.
-Rachel

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:38 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Kurama was also once mistaken for Kuwabara's girlfriend. Besides, his Yoko form is voiced by a dude.
Sorry, I'll be off-topic. But guess who is voicing his Yoko form. Ryo Horikawa, actor of Vegeta.
Everybody is bashing the Nozawa, but did somebody ever heard Horikawa's performance as Andromeda Saint Shun
in Saint Seiya?! Damn, I was completely kicked into my head after being used to his Vegeta and other performances.
That's guy doing feminime voice!!!

On-topic: I enjoy Japanese version since my childhood. I was used to see French and Japanese version on TV. But first time I saw DB was in German, but I didn't got into it, because I didn't understand much of German back then.
Also Nozawa is my Goku and in some scenes, she sounds pretty male and menacing (like angry and SSJ, talking with that calm attitude). That sounds little eerie at that moments, because she can be evil. And outside of this, the fun and humour of Goku's character won't be that good without her. I really find Goku hilarious since the first series, when he's intonating with his high pitched voice when caught surprised and I will certainly miss it from the second part of series, if they will change the voice actor to male. I never caught this acting from Schemmel altough I consider him one of the best adaptations of this character, but he's always somewhat good-by-nature. Also the US script is pretty F-d up, but what I saw some videos from Kai, the adaptation is pretty good. But unfortunately little too late.
I don't see any trouble with feminime and unfeminime voices. Naruto is completely diffferent character from Goku, voiced by a woman and I really enjoy this voice. Also, I was surprised by his english voice in the Wii game!!! Damn, he sounds almost same as in Japanese!!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:54 am

TripleRach wrote:This is getting kind of off-topic again, but...
kemuri07 wrote:Personally, I think Goku's U.S. voice is a much better fit for that character, but I also understand why he sounds the way he does in Japan: Heroes in anime tend to be far more feminine than their western counterparts.
It has nothing to do with femininity, at least in this case. There's nothing feminine about Gokuu, appearance-wise or personality-wise. He was a young boy, and young boys are typically voiced by women. And when he grew up, he kept his voice. The same thing happened with Kuririn, and the reverse happened with Vegeta and Trunks (men later voicing their child counterparts). Similar things have happened in western cartoons, like Bart Simpson keeping his actress in episodes about the future, or all the Rugrats boys keeping their actresses in the All Grown Up spinoff.

In other Japanese shows, when it's not about age, it's about personality. Women tend to voice males who are innocent, youthful, or sensitive. Meanwhile, male characters with more rude, rough, or angry personalities tend to be voiced by men.
The key-word here is "Japanese." Like I said before, I respect the cultural differences found in Japan. However, you have to understand from an outsiders perspective on why one would think Goku has feminine qualities; I don't think I necessarily have to explain why westerners might think this way.

The problem with your examples is that for the Simpsons.....
The idea that future bart still sounds similarly to his past-self is humorous on its own. It's not necessarily meant to be taken as a serious look at what Bart may sound like as an adult.

And in All Grown Up's case, the characters, while much older, are still considered to be children; thus, they sound like it.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:32 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Sorry, I'll be off-topic. But guess who is voicing his Yoko form. Ryo Horikawa, actor of Vegeta.
No, Yoko Kurama was voiced by Shigeru Nakahara, #17's voice actor. Horikawa voiced Karasu, a member of Toguro's team, in YYH.
-Joey

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:This is also the reason why the Japanese version of the '80s-'90s TV series has only ever been broadcast and released in mono, except for episode 5 (?) onwards of GT, which are stereo-mixed on Japanese TV.
Not to derail a thread, but I'm wondering if this is true. Someone said that the GT Dragon Boxes are only in mono, so if so, that's really depressing.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:22 pm

I dunno, I have Saint Seiya on French DVD's which is 80's series and it's in stereo.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:This is also the reason why the Japanese version of the '80s-'90s TV series has only ever been broadcast and released in mono, except for episode 5 (?) onwards of GT, which are stereo-mixed on Japanese TV.
Not to derail a thread, but I'm wondering if this is true. Someone said that the GT Dragon Boxes are only in mono, so if so, that's really depressing.
Yes, it's true. I got a recording of JP episode 64 in stereo.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.