Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box Z Volume Seven Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box Z Volume Seven Discussion

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:11 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
one mistake I noticed on DBox 7 was the episode title for ep 286, when english language is selected w/ subtitles off, it uses the episode title for 271 instead of 286. Here's the screencaps:
Not a big deal at all. Since this set is tailor made for the fans of the Japanese version, this will only bother a small amount of people.

::In Raditz voice:: You're one of the four!

Jusenkyo_Guide

Post by Jusenkyo_Guide » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:31 pm

Actually I wrote that, and I'm a fan of both the Original Japanese version as well as the English Dub. Personally I think Funi really dropped the ball on Box 7, with manufacturing the outer box out of specs in height & miss-titled episodes. They seem like pretty major flaws by my standards for what was supposed to be a "Perfect Set" ... and even if I never watched the Dub at all, a perfect set should be... well, perfect.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Jusenkyo_Guide wrote:Actually I wrote that, and I'm a fan of both the Original Japanese version as well as the English Dub. Personally I think Funi really dropped the ball on Box 7, with manufacturing the outer box out of specs in height & miss-titled episodes. They seem like pretty major flaws by my standards for what was supposed to be a "Perfect Set" ... and even if I never watched the Dub at all, a perfect set should be... well, perfect.
Ah, sorry. I didn't see that.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:52 pm

So what's the deal with the brightness? I'm nearing the end of the set and some episodes are blindingly bright. Was the original Japanase box that bright too? :?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:09 pm

BobZ wrote:So what's the deal with the brightness? I'm nearing the end of the set and some episodes are blindingly bright. Was the original Japanase box that bright too? :?
It's surely because it's late in the series, and the film masters are newer and tend to be less faded.
Mountain wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Colorful shots
Thanks, Tanooki! =)

Wow... those shots aren't nearly as sharp as those of previous boxes.
They're every bit as sharp as the Japanese sets, as they were in box 6. That episode just appears to have slightly fuzzy masters (at least towards the left side of the frame). Look at the lines on Gohan's arm here to see how sharp it is:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Mountain wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Colorful shots
Thanks, Tanooki! =)

Wow... those shots aren't nearly as sharp as those of previous boxes.
What makes you say that? Box 1-5 were slightly softer than their Japanese counterparts, but box 6 was spot on. This one is too, just look at the grain structure in the solid black areas, i.e. hair.
I can do comparison if you want. (No, I'm gonna do it anyway.)
Box 6 is first:

What's interesting is that some a sharper on one box, but not others. In any case, any lack of clarity does not come from Funimation's encoding. If it did, you'd see blurry grain like here: (box 5)

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:29 am

I wasn't comparing the FUNi boxes to the Japanese boxes. I was comparing FUNi box 7 to the previous FUNi boxes, but now I see that it's just that episode; the shots Zestanor posted are much sharper than the ones on the last page, with the exception of those title cards near the bottom, which look great.

The blurriness does appear to be on the left side of the frame of that one particular episode, as mentioned.

www.KristaMichaels.com

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Oh My Gosh, I just realised something amazing while putting my final disc in the PS2 - the whole set has 42 discs in total! Ergo, the Dragon Box is the meaning of life! :lol:

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:52 pm

BobZ wrote:Oh My Gosh, I just realised something amazing while putting my final disc in the PS2 - the whole set has 42 discs in total! Ergo, the Dragon Box is the meaning of life! :lol:
Same number of Tankoubon in the manga too... guess Dragon Ball is life incarnate.

Now that I've seen the box 5 comparisons, even to US box 6, it makes me wonder why the first five were softer in the first place.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Son Satan wrote:
BobZ wrote:Oh My Gosh, I just realised something amazing while putting my final disc in the PS2 - the whole set has 42 discs in total! Ergo, the Dragon Box is the meaning of life! :lol:
Same number of Tankoubon in the manga too... guess Dragon Ball is life incarnate.
Probably an "obviously not" due to the lengths of certain filler arcs, but about how well does the FUNi DBoxes sync to the Tankoubon?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Well, considering the first sixteen tankobon are not even represented by any of the discs in the Dragon Boxes, it's unlikely they can sync up in any way.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:49 am

Jusenkyo_Guide wrote:Just completed watching volume 7, which means the complete DBZ series via US Dragon Box. Truly an amazing experience!

one mistake I noticed on DBox 7 was the episode title for ep 286, when english language is selected w/ subtitles off, it uses the episode title for 271 instead of 286. Here's the screencaps:

Original Japanese Language, English Subtitles On:

English Language Dub, Subtitles Off:
So, this error only effects the dub? And only in the subtitles track for said Dub?

Good, then my set isn't tarnished.

Watching it Raw, I shouldn't have a problem lol
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

DinoChow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DinoChow » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Just watched the Dragon Ball GT preview...that put a great big smile on my face! Wow, I wonder what it must have been like to see that back when it first aired!

One thing that struck me: when I watched it, I was thinking, "man, GT looks really good! I don't remember it looking that nice! Oh...wait...this is the Dragon Box...sigh." I guess thirty seconds of Dragon Box quality GT is better than none...
Visit my entertainment website, "Jonathan Lack at the Movies," for reviews of film, TV, music and more! You can also find my work in the weekly Thursday print edition of "Your Hub" in The Denver Post!
http://www.jonathanlack.com

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:13 pm

DinoChow wrote:I guess thirty seconds of Dragon Box quality GT is better than none...
You're referring to US GT Dragon Boxes aren't you?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Well, I have the DBox in my hand, but I haven't gotten to the end yet, and I have a feeling other people would probably be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

First off, I have the last four episodes of Z on fansubs from long ago, and while there was indeed the GT preview at the end of 291, there was also a split preview at the end of 290 featuring the last Z and first GT, similar to the previews that include the movies. Is that included as well, or, like the movies, is it replaced with a full-length Z preview?

Also, I noticed at the end of the FUNimation credit roll at the end of the first disc of this set, the last voice actor credits are for Pilaf, Mai, and Shuu. Now unless the anime added a scene of them I'm not familiar with (having only read the manga), the only appearance of theirs I can think of is the GT preview. So... is that one single preview dubbed? If not, where else do these characters appear?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Just gotten the last Dragon Box and did an unboxing of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jlssTp0JE
After 2 years of collecting, I can finally say I'm done collecting all the specials, shows and movies released in North America. Just need to finish up Kai. :)
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:27 pm

By the way, didn't someone mention having trouble with some of the episodes on this set a while back? I just wanted to ask, which episodes were faulty? Some people over at Mania.com were worried that maybe their sets might be faulty as well, and so they wanted to know which episodes were affected so they could check.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:41 pm

That would've been me. I don't remember exactly which episodes they were, but I think the second and the third on my first disc were faulty. They only play to a certain moment and then freeze.

Luckily, I mailed rightstuf and they said they'll send me a replacement disc. :)

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Oh crap, I haven't watched all the episodes on my DBoxes. I sure hope none of them are faulty, since it will be a while until I get around to watching all of them. :(

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 pm

BobZ wrote:That would've been me. I don't remember exactly which episodes they were, but I think the second and the third on my first disc were faulty. They only play to a certain moment and then freeze.

Luckily, I mailed rightstuf and they said they'll send me a replacement disc. :)
Well it must not be across the board because I had no problem whatsoever on my first disc at all. Unless of course you're mixing the faulty disc? I am already in my third disc from set 7 (disc 39) at episode 266 and no problems whatsoever... :|