FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey does anyone know if the level 1.1 trailer is on this Blu-Ray set?(I really like it) Also sad news while I was watching my season sets of Dragonball Z, The part were trunks start going Ultra Super Saiyan. Started skipping and glitching(there appears to be no scratches on the disc) :( Are Blu-Rays bad to skip and such?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DinoChow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DinoChow » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Hey does anyone know if the level 1.1 trailer is on this Blu-Ray set?(I really like it) Also sad news while I was watching my season sets of Dragonball Z, The part were trunks start going Ultra Super Saiyan. Started skipping and glitching(there appears to be no scratches on the disc) :( Are Blu-Rays bad to skip and such?
Blu-Rays aren't quite indestructible, but they stand up to wear and tear FAR better than any other optical format. There was a lot of hype about Blu-Ray's being scratch-proof when they first came out; people did tests on YouTube rubbing steel wool on the disc to see if they could damage it, and the discs worked every time. If you heavily abuse a Blu-Ray you could probably destroy it, but other than that, Blu-Ray's will not give out on you. I have a pretty massive collection and I've only once ever had a problem. My copy of Inception came with some sort of goo on the back of the disc that stopped my PS3 from reading the data; but it was quickly fixed with a cleaning cloth. The high durability of Blu-Ray really is one of the best elements of the format.
Visit my entertainment website, "Jonathan Lack at the Movies," for reviews of film, TV, music and more! You can also find my work in the weekly Thursday print edition of "Your Hub" in The Denver Post!
http://www.jonathanlack.com

Kibito_Kai

Post by Kibito_Kai » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 am

Anyone buying these even though they own the Dragon Boxes? and if so.... do you think it's worth the money (in terms of video quality anyways)?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 am

Just saw the ad on Cartoon Network.

"Original American series" my ass.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:35 am

Kibito_Kai wrote:Anyone buying these even though they own the Dragon Boxes? and if so.... do you think it's worth the money (in terms of video quality anyways)?
Wait until the next episode of the podcast. I'm sure you'll get a good analysis from us that answers that very question.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:37 am

penguintruth wrote:Just saw the ad on Cartoon Network.

What?

Are they still trying to promote "DEE BEE ZEE" as OMG AMERICAN HARDCORE?...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:54 am

I'd say they changed up enough story and characterization that I'll let something like this pass.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 am

So is the level 1.1 trailer on the Blu-Ray set?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 am

*facepalm*

Baka...
-Joey

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:31 am

DinoChow wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Hey does anyone know if the level 1.1 trailer is on this Blu-Ray set?(I really like it) Also sad news while I was watching my season sets of Dragonball Z, The part were trunks start going Ultra Super Saiyan. Started skipping and glitching(there appears to be no scratches on the disc) :( Are Blu-Rays bad to skip and such?
Blu-Rays aren't quite indestructible, but they stand up to wear and tear FAR better than any other optical format. There was a lot of hype about Blu-Ray's being scratch-proof when they first came out; people did tests on YouTube rubbing steel wool on the disc to see if they could damage it, and the discs worked every time. If you heavily abuse a Blu-Ray you could probably destroy it, but other than that, Blu-Ray's will not give out on you. I have a pretty massive collection and I've only once ever had a problem. My copy of Inception came with some sort of goo on the back of the disc that stopped my PS3 from reading the data; but it was quickly fixed with a cleaning cloth. The high durability of Blu-Ray really is one of the best elements of the format.
Yep, back when I was researching the format, I saw a video where these guys had to scrape it with a knife multiple times to render it useless.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?028ql64yb2z4dxi
Made by ect5150.
After looking at all three images, level 1.1 wins fore me.
First image I believe was UUE or the season set as all have said is DVNRd to hell and the detail in Piccolo's neck is well gone.

Now the other two..

Dragon Box looks great regardless however thus far color wise I actually prefer 1.1 but that's just me and my opinions.

This may be a dub centric release and imo has just has better video than my Dbox. Just wish it came with I undo more extras than just Sabat's signature.. I kinda wish Funi did what toei did with their release.

At lease the remastering job's done well and well not F'd up like the season sets were,

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:11 am

Kibito_Kai wrote:Anyone buying these even though they own the Dragon Boxes? and if so.... do you think it's worth the money (in terms of video quality anyways)?
Yes. I bought it, totally worth it. The picture quality is amazing.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 am

Wow, that's just...gah!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Ani-Nation7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ani-Nation7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 am

For people who don't want to download the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6bnj1jdJ8Q
Last edited by Ani-Nation7 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm not sure why everyone's freaking out over this. I'm fairly certain that they just meant the "Original English Dub". As in not Kai. Kai seems to be getting a lot of backlash from the common fan who hates Freeza's new "gay" voice and misses "awesome hardc0re" Grandma Freeza. So they likely were trying to stress that it's NOT Kai.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Ew, they make it sound like Dragon Ball Z is an American produced cartoon show.

Gozar, how is Freeza's Kai voice "gay"? It fits Freeza perfectly and doesn't sound like a granny's talking.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ani-Nation7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ani-Nation7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:57 pm

He's saying that's how a lot of the American fans feel.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:

Ew, they make it sound like Dragon Ball Z is an American produced cartoon show.

Gozar, how is Freeza's Kai voice "gay"? It fits Freeza perfectly and doesn't sound like a granny's talking.
Don't ask Gozar to defend something he doesn't actually believe. Ask the dubbie masses on Youtube who still don't know what Kai is.

Interestingly, all I don't remember the video, believe I actually saw a post that defended Young's voice based on how the guy saw it expressing Freeza's character as opposed to that Ayres sounds gay. It was about as reasonable a defense of Young's voice as you could expect. Seeing as I, like Chris Sabat (Not puffing up my opinion, it's just he's expressed it as well), have a great deal of respect for Chambers/Young for doing a voice that forced for ten years and actually getting a little better at as she went along, that doesn't amount to nothing to me.

But yeah, they're trying to differentiate it from Kai. Which you have to do when a good portion of your casual fanbase doesn't know that Toei Animation- if they know it exists at all- is a very different beast.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Seeing as I, like Chris Sabat (Not puffing up my opinion, it's just he's expressed it as well), have a great deal of respect for Chambers/Young for doing a voice that forced for ten years and actually getting a little better at as she went along, that doesn't amount to nothing to me.
I whole heartily agree. As much as I loathe the way Freeza used to be portrayed and bow down to Ayres brilliance, I still respect Linda Young. Not to mention I feel bad that she was given the role in Kai and then had it taken away.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Drayenko wrote:
Yes. I bought it, totally worth it. The picture quality is amazing.
I'll say, I had 1.1 and the dragon box playing at the same time (two different TV's) I actually at least for this release prefer 1.1 to the Dbox.

Let's just hope level 2 isn't messed up like season 2 was.