Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:05 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Gonstead wrote:I just want some sort of official confirmation.

Not like what Scott McNeil and Kirby Morrow have said but an actual confirmation on this dub being produced either by Ocean or the company behind funding the dub.
Was there anything to that effect back when the Westwood dub (aka the "Post-Saban Ocean Dub") of DBZ started airing? I don't recall because I live in the U.S., but I vaguely remember that no official announcement was made, and that one day the Westwood dub just started playing without anything in the way of an "official" announcement.
No announcements, it just came out of nowhere one day.

It looks like it may be the same with this as well but I really hope not.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:10 am

I can't wait to check out this new dub with the new score. Anything should be better than Kai's replacement Kikuchi score (and I'm a big fan of his score used in DBZ)...

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:18 pm

I do want to give this dub a chance, because FUNimation disappointed me with Kai.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:I do want to give this dub a chance, because FUNimation disappointed me with Kai.
What, really?

Even I was impressed by their Kai dub.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:35 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:I do want to give this dub a chance, because FUNimation disappointed me with Kai.
Please explain.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:43 pm

By no means is it a bad dub. The acting and script is certainly good. The problem is I came in expecting the same exact cast as from DBZ, except with a proper script adaptation this time. But when I saw characters getting recast, and heard Piccolo shout "Makankosappo!" I got my hopes up. But even ignoring roles that should have been recast but weren't (like King Kai), there were a lot of script inconsistencies in terms of attack names. Not only are some attacks referred to by the dub names while some aren't, but some attacks are referred to as both. Like in one episode, Goku shouts "Solar Flare!" to blind Great Ape Vegeta. Then during the Namekian stuff, Krillin shouts "Taioken!" for every instance. And now for the Cell saga, Krillin says "Solar Flare" again.

While some of the recasts were brilliant, like Gohan and Frieza, those were basically good accidents. Sabat didn't like working with the previous woman who voiced Gohan for them, and Linda Young apparently couldn't keep up with the lip flaps. While that doesn't make the dub any less good, it still shows that they have no idea what they're doing.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Getting a new Freeza makes them sound like they knew exactly what they're doing.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Even if it did happen for the right reasons, they basically got my hopes up but then didn't change enough. I realize that's my own fault for expecting too much, though, but I still want to see the Ocean dub for that reason.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:51 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:But when I saw characters getting recast, and heard Piccolo shout "Makankosappo!" I got my hopes up.
What does Piccolo have to do with recasts?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Nothing, really. I guess I was unclear, I was talking more of that they started using some of the Japanese attack names rather than the dub ones.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:Nothing, really. I guess I was unclear, I was talking more of that they started using some of the Japanese attack names rather than the dub ones.
But that is what the Kai dub is meant to do, give us an accurate dub for DBZ with attack names included.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:07 pm

I was surprised because I was expecting the same ole thing, but then they started making changes that I liked. Which is why I expected more of the dub. I do still enjoy it, though, and I've been buying all the Blu-ray volumes.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by RazorX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:29 pm

It seems nowadays everytime I come to post something in this Ocean dub of Kai topic, there's a new page, which is good. The Funimation dub topic is buried underneath other topics. The Ocean topic is active and we only have a minimal amount of information so far, keep the discussion going :)
TripleRach wrote: "Adopted"? You make it sound like Native Americans went to the UK and decided to take the language. But no, the reason English is spoken in the Americas is because the British physically went there and brought the language with them. There was no "adopting"; the colonists and their descendants just kept their native language. It was as much their language as it was for the people who stayed in the UK. Americans and Canadians can trace their lineage back to the Anglo-Saxon era just as well as people who still live in the UK. The geographic origin doesn't change the fact that English is now a native language for the US and Canada, so they have as much right to call British accents foreign as they do Australian accents or Singaporean accents.
The fact of the matter is; the pronunciation of the language in America got changed. Whether it be because of rebellious Americans or other reasons, because it got changed, it became foreign to the country of origin.

My issue is that you cannot call a British accent foreign because it is the accent of the country of origin.

The definition of foreign is "belonging or connected to a country which is not your own"

Calling a British accent foreign is completely untrue because the language is connected to a country which is its own, its country of origin. Calling an American accent foreign is true because that country is not the origin of the language.

I don't know why you find this so offensive, when you go abroad, you're a foreigner, if you have an accent of a language which did not originate from your country, you have a foreign accent.

TripleRach wrote:This is all very off-topic, but I just can't ignore these language supremacy semantics.
Language supremacist? It appears you've had this conversation with someone before but by no means is your accusation of language supremacist justifiable. You conveniently ignored the post which accused the British accent of being foreign. I wasn't going to let the accusation of a British accent being called foreign by someone who actually has a foreign accent themselves go unchallenged, but I didn't try to belittle anyone because of their accent. In fact, complaints against a character having a British accent despite a lot of other characters not having one shows small mindedness, especially considering the dub in question is most likely produced for the UK.

Anyway, as for describing a British accent for those who don't live in Britian; "different" may be a more appropriate word.
kei17 wrote:I'm highly doubtful that you'll be able to do that because this Ocean Kai dub is likely to be a TV-only dub and the audio will be mixed only in stereo. You need a 5.1ch audio track to extract voices. (Well, there is a way to delete the music from a stereo track, but It's really, really too much of a bother to do it to a whole episode. It takes almost 20 to 30 minutes to delete only one piece of music.)
A good setup of 5.1 surround sound audio would be ideal and the easiest way to replace the bgm. I've actually replaced the Kikuchi bgm with Yamamoto in a number of episodes ripped from Funi's 5.1 DVD releases and by now I've mastered the process to the extent where I can get the results I want easily.

A 2 ch stereo would be more challenging but I think it is still do-able. In the past, I've managed to rip vocals out of a 2 sch stereo song, it's been quite a while since I did that so i don't remember the exact details but I remember splitting the audio into mono and using inversion and other processes to fade out/take out the vocals. The result wasn't bad.

I find it interesting that you'd say what you did, because as far as I know, you yourself managed to remove the bgm from the Japanese TV broadcasts, notible Kai SSJ2 Gohan transformation, which was 2 ch stereo wasn't it? I recall you saying that you found it easier to do so from a region in Japan which broadcast the replacement music instead of the Fuji TV Broadcasts, was there a difference or am I misremembering something?
batistabus wrote:It's not their call to make. Their job isn't to improve the show. It's to translate it. Obviously, this is a view from a creative standpoint where I would hope that a company would just respect the source material, but we know that's not always the case.
I think you're not understanding a point which I've made before so I'm having to repeat myself.

You're arguments are geared towards the original music, we are not talking about the original music, we are talking about the replacement music. If this replacement so poorly done that it puts off even those who like the music itself, then calling for a replacement of a replacement makes a lot of sense.
batistabus wrote:What does that have to do with music? I didn't say Avatar was a better show. I do think that Avatar is a better show overall in almost every category, but they have different things to offer.


You think Avatar is good, I think Avatar is crap. However, Avatar doesn't have anywhere near the fanbase that Dragon Ball has, plus the situation you described hasn't happened to Avatar, if it does, we can discuss it in a relevant topic, it might not be as bad as you made it sound.
batistabus wrote:Like you said, that's an election chosen by kids. They don't get more than half of the things Avatar has to offer. You can also ignore the fact that Avatar has been on that channel for a number of years, while DBZK is brand new.
Why ignore that? DBZ Kai had the highest ratings ever for a premier on Nicktoons, which means it beat Avatar's premier ratings. It was only on Nicktoons US for some months when the poll was conducted yet Dragon Ball Kai beat Avatar the last Airbender. That made me feel good but it also highlighted the power that Dragon Ball has to this day to draw in audiences.

Also I disagree with the generalisation you made on kids and Avatar because there's no evidence of it. If that was true, kids would get bored and not watch Avatar.
batistabus wrote:The rest of your comments have also been addressed by other users.
Then I may have missed them, anyway I don't see the need for that statement because it gives the impression that you don't have anything to "address" my comments (which is fine).
dagame10k wrote:-Wild card Matthew Erickson or Samuel Vincent as Trunks, both are better suited than Abell
The casting for Trunks should be interesting. Alistair Abell was interviewed a few years ago and he talked about how much he enjoyed voicing Trunks and that it was his biggest role to date. If he's still working as a VA, I think it's clear he'll try to reprise his role.

However, Matthew Erickson apparently now works for both Ocean and Blue Water. I think it's safe to say he enjoyed voicing Trunks as well. If they both audition, it would be interesting to see who the director likes better.

To me, both have their pros; Abell has a powerful voice and is the closest to the Japanese version while Erickson's version is slightly better acted.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Ugh, Matthew Erickson. He just reminds me of that awful Zeta Gundam dub. Effing Blue Water.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by RazorX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Having not see (heard) Erickson's work on Zeta Gundam, I won't comment on it.

But his work on DBGT is good, it even gets praise from those who aren't too keen on the dub.

The reason I brought it up is because we have 2 voice actors who voiced the same character for companies related to each other who could potentially audition for that character when the casting call is made.

It's a unique situation.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by RazorX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 pm

If this dub is TV only, it increases the chance of replacement music, and I'll highlight why.

From the information that was gathered in the early dubbing days of DBZ (when Funimation was a lot more open than they are now) it's apparently more expensive to license the original music instead of creating your own. So, a TV only dub needs to maximise its profits. You don't just have licensing and dubbing costs, you have distribution costs as well, and perhaps marketing costs.

If the dub retains the Yamamoto/Kikuchi bgm, then they have to license it and pay royalties to Toei & Yamamoto/Kikuchi/JASRAC. So in this case, keeping to basics, the dub has one revenue stream; the dub itself.

If the dub uses its own music created by the dubbing company, then they avoid the licensing costs associated with the original music. Not only that, they get royalties when the music is played on the broadcasts. So keeping to basics, the dub now has two revenue streams; the dub itself and the music.

Having said that, I hope that the "new company" who is involved with the Ocean dub of Kai releases it on DVD/Blu Ray.

It makes business sense for Ocean to replace the music.

User avatar
dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dagame10k » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 am

RazorX wrote:To me, both have their pros; Abell has a powerful voice and is the closest to the Japanese version while Erickson's version is slightly better acted.
Abell's Trunks is a hollow, empty, limited take on the character which sounds nothing like Takeshi Kusao's take or preformance. I don't mind an actor having a different take on a character than their original conterpart, but it has to work with whats going on, on screen, and has to preformed well for it to work, and in Abell's case, it was one of the worst preformances in the Westwood dub.
RazorX wrote:If this dub is TV only, it increases the chance of replacement music, and I'll highlight why.

From the information that was gathered in the early dubbing days of DBZ (when Funimation was a lot more open than they are now) it's apparently more expensive to license the original music instead of creating your own. So, a TV only dub needs to maximise its profits. You don't just have licensing and dubbing costs, you have distribution costs as well, and perhaps marketing costs.

If the dub retains the Yamamoto/Kikuchi bgm, then they have to license it and pay royalties to Toei & Yamamoto/Kikuchi/JASRAC. So in this case, keeping to basics, the dub has one revenue stream; the dub itself.

If the dub uses its own music created by the dubbing company, then they avoid the licensing costs associated with the original music. Not only that, they get royalties when the music is played on the broadcasts. So keeping to basics, the dub now has two revenue streams; the dub itself and the music.

Having said that, I hope that the "new company" who is involved with the Ocean dub of Kai releases it on DVD/Blu Ray.

It makes business sense for Ocean to replace the music.
Being a TV only doesn't increase the chance of anything, Blue Water's Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball GT producctions were TV only, they retained their original scores, and they came after the Dragon ball Z dub. Keep in mind, when they returned to the show, the precedence of dub music had been set the with Season's 1/2, and FUNimation's season 3 which was their ownly english dub bridge to their own production of Season 4. You also have to factor in all the time cuts and edits they made that would have given the editors headaches trying to create seamless edits when they don't have an individual copy of every music piece of the Kikuchi librairy in their possession.
RazorX wrote:Having said that, I hope that the "new company" who is involved with the Ocean dub of Kai releases it on DVD/Blu Ray.
A new company being involved is merely speculation, Manga Entertainment will be releasing FUNimation DVDs in Europe, and FUNimation has North America, Ocean would have to make a deal with the European Lisensee or FUNimation, but ultimately I think it would take Toei's involvement to flex their ownership muscle to get the Ocean Dub on DVD/Blu-Ray.
"Nobody's Real............"

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by NitroEX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:40 am

I've never had a problem with Abell's Trunks. I always thought it was fitting that he sounded noble and heroic. Mathew Erickson was a really good replacement in the blue water dub and I wouldn't mind either of them but I don't think Erickson can do a serious Trunks as well as Abell.

User avatar
TripleRach
Moderator
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 am

RazorX wrote:My issue is that you cannot call a British accent foreign because it is the accent of the country of origin.

The definition of foreign is "belonging or connected to a country which is not your own"

Calling a British accent foreign is completely untrue because the language is connected to a country which is its own, its country of origin. Calling an American accent foreign is true because that country is not the origin of the language.

I don't know why you find this so offensive, when you go abroad, you're a foreigner, if you have an accent of a language which did not originate from your country, you have a foreign accent.
My whole argument was that the British are not above the word "foreign" solely because they live in the same area where the language originated. It's just completely baffling to me that you would suggest it's wrong for native speakers in other countries to use that word, because from their perspective it's just as foreign as any other aspect of British culture. To suggest otherwise says to me that British accents are above other accents, solely because of their geography, and that's what made me think "supremacy." I would argue the same thing about Spain Spanish vs Mexican Spanish.

But this is the last I plan to post about this, because I think I'd just be repeating myself and going in circles if I continued.
-Rachel

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by RazorX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 pm

dagame10k wrote: Abell's Trunks is a hollow, empty, limited take on the character which sounds nothing like Takeshi Kusao's take or preformance. I don't mind an actor having a different take on a character than their original conterpart, but it has to work with whats going on, on screen, and has to preformed well for it to work, and in Abell's case, it was one of the worst preformances in the Westwood dub.
I meant the voice itself is the closest to the Japanese version out of all the English Trunks', I didn't say the performance was the same.

Abell isn't as bad as you say and he can act. I didn't realise that Abell voiced Sharpner until I looked it up, then I questioned why I didn't pick up on it earlier, partly because I didn't look out for it and mostly because the performance is completely different.
dagame10k wrote:Being a TV only doesn't increase the chance of anything, Blue Water's Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball GT producctions were TV only, they retained their original scores, and they came after the Dragon ball Z dub. Keep in mind, when they returned to the show, the precedence of dub music had been set the with Season's 1/2, and FUNimation's season 3 which was their ownly english dub bridge to their own production of Season 4. You also have to factor in all the time cuts and edits they made that would have given the editors headaches trying to create seamless edits when they don't have an individual copy of every music piece of the Kikuchi librairy in their possession.
Being TV only doesn't confirm replacement music but it does increase the chances of it. If it's TV only and considering that Toei replaced the music themselves, Ocean have got more of an incentive to replace the music than not.

The Blue Water situation is different. Initially Ocean was supposed to dub DBGT and some actors even got casted, but Morrison sent GT over to Blue Water to bypass the union and save money.

At the time DBZ's Ocean dub was extremely popular and GT was able to ride on its success despite not using the same VAs. Ocean was also supposed to dub Dragon Ball but as we know, that got sent to Blue Water.

But, GT and DB enjoyed the popularity they did in a large part due to DBZ's immense popularity. the situation now is that DBZ has been off the air for years and isn't as fresh in people's minds as it was in the early to mid 2000s.

Why do you think DB Kai didn't get sent to Blue Water? The precedent had been set and theoretically they could've done so, but they didn't. I'm speculating there's a few reasons for this. I'm fairly certain they're aware that Ocean is better received for the DB series than Blue Water but there's also the time factor to consider. They need to attract the previous DBZ fans as well as attract new fans; one of the best ways to do that is to give the fans their choice of voice actors. Also, from the information trickling down, it appears they've got a bigger budget relative to the number of episodes compared to DBZ.
dagame10k wrote:A new company being involved is merely speculation, Manga Entertainment will be releasing FUNimation DVDs in Europe, and FUNimation has North America, Ocean would have to make a deal with the European Lisensee or FUNimation, but ultimately I think it would take Toei's involvement to flex their ownership muscle to get the Ocean Dub on DVD/Blu-Ray.
The information about a "new company" came from Kirby Morrow. A while back there was a discussion on who contracted the Oean/Westwood DBZ and AB Groupe was the most plausable contender. AB Groupe didn't have a lot of interest in releasing DBZ themselves on DVD outside of France. This "new company" might have more of an incentive to release the Ocean dub but it isn't certain.

Back then Anime was barely seen in DVD stores, nowadays the stores have got Anime sections so the dynamics are not the same.

Manga screwed something up and at the moment it's not certain that they're releasing DBZ. But, the combination of season set footage and Funimation dub is probably the worst choice they could've picked, if that is what they picked.
Last edited by RazorX on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply