Episode #0005 (18 December 2005)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0005 (18 December 2005)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:21 pm

Episode #0005 (download MP3)
55:57; 64 kbps, mono; 25.6 MB

Episode #0005! Julian returns to talk Jinzoningen (versus android, cyborg, and robot) with VegettoEX, Meri, and our special guest Maggie from Lovely Cyborg. Breaking video game news and amusing stories round us out for this hilarious week. Referenced sites: Special guests: Meri (we'll just consider her a semi-regular from here on out!) & Maggie / number18

Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the *five*episodes, now. We totally had a riot of a time recording this episode. Julian's back and quite animated, and Maggie's all about how Vegeta-sei musta been "pretty bangin'". While our main topic was all about the definition of 人造人間 (jinzôningen) "in terms of" (har!) "artificial human" vs "android" vs "cyborg" vs "robot"... we also talked about the new video game announcement-leaks, and just simply have a great time.

Remember kids, you heard it here on Daizenshuu EX first... ZOMBIE DOGS.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:24 pm

Eh, most podcasts I've seen are pretty geeky, but there's nothing wrong with that. I've been enjoying myself and I say more powah to ya :P

...and I absolutely wanna hear Julian sing!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:49 pm

I was thinking...If 18 and 17 are "Cyborgs" then why can't there ki be felt? I mean if they are indeed somewhat human and somewhat robotic then should't there ki be a least faintly sencible?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:54 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I was thinking...If 18 and 17 are "Cyborg" then why can't their ki be felt? I mean, if they are indeed somewhat human and somewhat robotic then shouldn't their ki be a least faintly [insert a word that actually exists]?
There ya' go.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:55 pm

:lol: Thats why I love this place. ( I was actually typing that while listening to this podcast so...) :oops:

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:42 am

Great job, guys! Specially loved the bit of discussion about the Androids, and the other related things, and this...
VegettoEX wrote:Kuririn! Kuririn! Kuririn!
This part was quite hilarious, I might add. Nice job.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:25 am

As for whether Dr. Gero denying his identity at first, unless Viz mistranslated it, he does that in the manga.

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:33 am

It was quite good. It was funny, but it also had the informative quality that the first three had. Not to say that the forth one wasn't good, but it was different in that it reflected more on Scott and his view's on DB and didn't dive into DB and analyze it as much.

Great episode and I'm looking forward to the next one!
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:04 am

I'm really enjoying these podcasts and especially looking forward to Advance Adventure after listening to the show. I liked the main discussion and that even #8 was talked about in addition to the more popular Jinzoningen.

If I wanted to ask a question verbally on an mp3 or wav file, would I just attach said file to an e-mail?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:17 am

Chuquita wrote:If I wanted to ask a question verbally on an mp3 or wav file, would I just attach said file to an e-mail?
Yep! Just make sure you first introduce yourself by name and location before the question!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:41 am

It usually takes me an hour and a half to DL these, so this time I started it up, took a four hour nap, and got to listen to the whole thing straight through in all it's glory, instead of tidbitting it.

Friggen awesome.

Of course, loved the analysis of the Androids, which was pretty much the heart of this episode, and I have no "insightful thoughts" to offer.

[RandomThought]

One of these times it'd be great to see you guys compare the way the Super Saiyan Aura's are portrayed between the Anime and Manga, if you ever completely run out of things to talk about.

[/RandomThought]

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:35 am

Hey! Great job. I would say that even though Jinzoningen is made up of four kanji, this phrase is strictly for Japanese. I don't think it has any meaning in Chinese because the 間(gen) in 人造人間(Jinzoningen) really doesn't fit with the other three kanji. Based on Julian's explanation, 人間(ningen) means human or mankind, but Chinese usually use 人類 instead of 人間 for mankind. I guess different cultures has their unique meaning?

Anyways, thanks for mentioning my name during the podcast. (kvon is pronounced kay von). Keep up the good work.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:28 pm

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but...
Hey! Great job. I would say that even though Jinzoningen is made up of four kanji, this phrase is strictly for Japanese. I don't think it has any meaning in Chinese because the 間(gen) in 人造人間(Jinzoningen) really doesn't fit with the other three kanji.
True, in Chinese they use the term "人造人" in the manga & anime.
I was thinking...If 18 and 17 are "Cyborg" then why can't their ki be felt? I mean, if they are indeed somewhat human and somewhat robotic then shouldn't their ki be a least faintly [insert a word that actually exists]?
Their own ki probably is the same as other, normal people, so it would be looking for a needle in a haystack.

Unless you have the MythBusters' find-a-needle-in-a-haystack apparatus.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:35 pm

Owuuu! (Zombie dog's bark)

There might be some fault with the dog's resurrection. Even though it's stated that there was no brain damage in the article, how is it possible to live without brain damage when the brain has not been receiving oxygen for three hours after the dog's clinical death??? (Not that I disagree with you guys or anything.)
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:14 pm

I loved the talk on the Artificial Humans; DragonBall pretty much has an example of every kind of artificial life form that can exist.

I was dissapointed you didn't go into the topic of Super 17 and the Machine Mutants created by Dr. Mu; while certainly not the high point of GT story wise, it was still interesting to consider.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:37 pm

Typing as I listen:

Maggie: "I think all Red Ribbon would be considered as jinzoningen."
I agree. They were all made by Gero too.

EX: "Than we have Viz and their manga, and they also use 'Androids' just like FUNimation."
I find Viz looks to FUNi a lot of the time when making decisions, so this isn't surprising since they want to avoid confusing their fans who have already been exposed to one terminology.

4th Daizenshuu does specific definitions? WTF, though! Did they mix up #8 with #20? :P

"She's an ANDROID!!!!" XD
It always bugged me that nobody knows what #17, #18, #20, and Cell are.
"Everyone always thought he was just shacking up with a glorified blow-up doll." :lol:

"Does [#20] just say he's Gero's creation in the anime only?"
Manga as well. He blabs about how he watched Goku from the 23rd budoukai all the way until the battle with Vegeta, and how he was always pissed at Goku for having destroyed "his" Red Ribbon Army, etc, so Piccolo mentions how he talks as if he were Gero himself. Gero catches himself and states he's just #20, a creation of Gero.

"Except [the daizenshuu] are all in Japanese..."
I've been quoting the fucker for how long now and you don't know they've been translated into other languages? XD

Cell's a clone, plain and simple. :P

"I'll even do it in a high-pitched voice! TENKAICHIBUDOKAI!!"
Whoa! :shock:

Interesting job, guys. To quote each and every one of you, "It was bad-ass!" :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:42 pm

Yet another great episode that's hilarious to boot! Great job guys!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:37 pm

Ah! I had heard of the zombie dogs a while ago. I actually mentioned it in a conversation in Psych class last week, and then I hear this podcast today. Nobody believed me. Bastards.

To further the coincidence (slightly), I even got to use some isotonic solution (pretty sure that's what saline is) in the new Rinkworks game... weird.

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:06 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I was thinking...If 18 and 17 are "Cyborgs" then why can't there ki be felt? I mean if they are indeed somewhat human and somewhat robotic then should't there ki be a least faintly sencible?
My reasoning for this is, because they were augmented, their ki was as well. It's sort of "logical" to say that, if a living creature is modified, its life energy that connects it to the universe might end up being dampened as a result. In the twins' case, all their chakra carrying points (if you want to think about it this way) were more than likely replaced with man-made equivalents, thus severing their "spiritual" bodies from the main divine force.

I also thought that because they had unlimited energy generators, their cyborg bodies would be extremely complex, and wildly different from what a normal human body was. We die as people because our bodies wear out, so 17 and 18 must be seriously juiced for their bodies to physically keep up with the eternal energy they are provided.

In my super nerdy RPG of days past, my 18 ended up on a saiyan planet. The one closest to her said that even though she was a cyborg and she couldn't manipulate her ki at all, she still had it, but just barely. He had to really concentrate to even pick it up.

Yeah.

Also, on another note, I am getting some hilarious quotes... haha
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:39 pm

With Cell, Viz's manga described him as an artificial life form. They keep with it by not referring to him in the 3rd person as "he" but as "it".