FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Same here and I'm enjoying watching a lot of the Boo saga in Japanese as well.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:Same here and I'm enjoying watching a lot of the Boo saga in Japanese as well.
I totally forgot about Buu in Japanese! That too.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 am

ricecake wrote:
Perfect wrote:Thanks, he posted the ad in this thread originally, I was just the first to reply.
Yeah, I posted about it here, and I got a PM from him 6 minutes later :)
My first copy had a little bit of damage, so I bought a second copy from RightStuf back when they were on sale. I didn't want to make a profit off of it, I just wanted to recoup my cost for the replacement. I decided to offer it to the community first before putting it up on eBay or whatever. I'm just glad I could help a fellow member complete their collection at a reasonable cost.
You're awesome bro! You're the kind of person that makes this community a great place to post and talk about Dragonball. :)

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 am

I've been watching vol. 7 like a hawk on Amazon since it's the only box I've yet to buy (cause no spare monies at the moment), and I gotta say, I'm not liking how much it's fluctuating in price.. for the first month or two it was always fixed at $31.99, but since then it's been going from anywhere from $31.99 to ~$60, dropping and rising from Amazon being out of stock so much... I feel like vol. 7 will be the next one to go OOP (either this one or vol. 3). It's just been really unstable lately.. I doubt it'll go OOP anytime soon, but there's a chance it might go out before 5 and 6. Just my prediction.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 am

I have plans on buying box 6 soon! will it be running out stock soon?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 am

samuraix123 wrote:I have plans on buying box 6 soon! will it be running out stock soon?
Only time will tell.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Jawdrahb wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:I have plans on buying box 6 soon! will it be running out stock soon?
Only time will tell.
I know what you mean I am just glad I got them when they were released especially with them halting the blu-rays.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Doubt it.. vol. 5 and 6 have been at the same price point for a long time now; they rarely flunctuate. I highly doubt they'll become scarce in the future.. vol. 7 on the other hand, flunctuates in price like crazy, and right at this moment there is only one left in stock from a third party for $44.99, while vol. 5 and 6 are $31.99. Last time it took a while for Amazon to restock 7 and even more to put it back at $31.99, and that only lasted a few days.

Yeah, I would secure vol. 7 if any of you still don't have it.. better safe than sorry. Vol. 3 too by the way, I predict either 3 or 7 will go out next.

It's really no surprise either. It's the last box with the last episodes and it has Super Saiyan Goku on the cover.. that's as enticing to get as Vegeta on the cover for vol. 2.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:56 pm

I find it hard to believe that the covers are the selling point.

So box 5 is coming, next month I'll buy 6 and 7 in one go, well, depending on 7's prices. And then I'll keep waiting for box 4. I've still got an order put for Movie Mars, I believe that if they ever get it back in, they'll ship me one, or THE one.

Afterwards I intend to buy the recent movie boxes. After that, what else can I buy guys? Have the TV specials been decently released? From what I gather, Dragon Ball and GT are still only on Blue and Green bricks, right?

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:49 am

I still have to hunt box 4 down. Whether it's new or used. I finally got an e-mail for moviemars.com that my order was cancelled and refunded after 3 weeks and me contacting them about my order.

angelus0901
Beyond Newbie

Post by angelus0901 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:34 am

I sold my orange bricks to some guy and he asked me if I also had the DragonBoxes. I told him I do, and he offered me cca $520 for 1-5. I told him twice they're not for sale, but he's not giving up. I wonder how high he'll go until he gives up.
What the Helheim?!

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 am

angelus0901 wrote:I sold my orange bricks to some guy and he asked me if I also had the DragonBoxes. I told him I do, and he offered me cca $520 for 1-5. I told him twice they're not for sale, but he's not giving up. I wonder how high he'll go until he gives up.
Dude I would totally sell them :| Especially since you can probably buy them again for less money.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:35 pm

Seeing how 2nd Box alone goes for almost 200$, I'm afraid i doubt you will earn much money, from selling and rebuying them
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 pm

DNA wrote:I find it hard to believe that the covers are the selling point.

So box 5 is coming, next month I'll buy 6 and 7 in one go, well, depending on 7's prices. And then I'll keep waiting for box 4. I've still got an order put for Movie Mars, I believe that if they ever get it back in, they'll ship me one, or THE one.

Afterwards I intend to buy the recent movie boxes. After that, what else can I buy guys? Have the TV specials been decently released? From what I gather, Dragon Ball and GT are still only on Blue and Green bricks, right?
I actually believe people bought Dbox 2 just for Vegeta's smug look. :lol: There's no other reason for Dbox 2 to be this scarce.. it certainly doesn't have the best episodes in the series.

Yes, DB and GT are still only available in blue/green bricks. I'm hoping there's a Dragonbox version of Dragonball one day, but who knows.. I've heard the DB blue bricks arent that bad at all, just a little zoomed in but otherwise great. And they're so cheap now too.. might as well get that.
I'm sure FUNimation will release them on blu-ray later on too though. But who knows when that'll be.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Daimakku wrote:There's no other reason for Dbox 2 to be this scarce..
What about this?

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

I know the general public is ignorant and whatnot, but I still have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be a large number of casual buyers who look at the crushed white skin tones and think something is wrong.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 pm

I actually contribute the scarcity of the 2nd box to the absolutely horrible second orange brick. I mean the footage on the 2nd brick is really bad... much worst than the other bricks.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

INVINCEABLE
Not-So-Newbie

Post by INVINCEABLE » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:35 pm

Having a hard time finding Volume 4, and my PS3 died last night. I may end up selling what I have including Volume 2. How much could I get for the first two volumes?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 pm

INVINCEABLE wrote:Having a hard time finding Volume 4, and my PS3 died last night. I may end up selling what I have including Volume 2. How much could I get for the first two volumes?
I'd say $200-$250.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
INVINCEABLE wrote:Having a hard time finding Volume 4, and my PS3 died last night. I may end up selling what I have including Volume 2. How much could I get for the first two volumes?
I'd say $200-$250.
That's assuming people actually PAY for those prices. Remember, just cause we have resellers selling at those prices doesn't mean people are actually buying them at those prices.

I, luckily, bought Volume 2 used from a MovieStop for $25 before Volumes 1 and 2 started fading out of existence.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 am

150-200$ for box 2, and prob 50 or so for the first one.
Tsukento wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
I'd say $200-$250.
That's assuming people actually PAY for those prices. Remember, just cause we have resellers selling at those prices doesn't mean people are actually buying them at those prices.

I, luckily, bought Volume 2 used from a MovieStop for $25 before Volumes 1 and 2 started fading out of existence.
I've sold 4 d box 2 in the past 2 weeks:

150$
200$
173$
220$

People are selling them at those prices, and people are buying. Listings on average reach 150$ on ebay, many times they go for more than that. I'm hunting down more d box 2's to sell at 175-200 a pop. (175-200 were just a couple offers I recently got on my last sale, from multiple people).

Edit: in fact here's a listing just about to end: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0770291844

at the time I post this it's at $171.
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!