DB, DBZ, & DBGT Bricks no longer come with booklets (Updated Download Links)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

DB, DBZ, & DBGT Bricks no longer come with booklets (Updated Download Links)

Post by dragondyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:44 am

Just a little heads up to buyers of future season sets that these sets no longer come with the Character/Episode Guide booklets, so as to not get confused it as an error on FUNimations part. I recently bought Dragon Ball Season 5 and it didn't come with one, and I thought it was an error. But actually it isn't:
FUNimation wrote: In the interest of going green we are no longer including printed versions of the episode & character guides in our packaging for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT, and Dragon Ball Z season sets. However, we understand your desire to obtain these and have made them available via PDF download in the following locations (each season set has its own page, and the guide booklet download link can be found in the summary section):

http://dragonballz.com/dvdbluray.aspx?id=421

http://www.dragonball.com/dvd-blu-ray.aspx

http://www.dragonballgt.com/dvd-blu-ray.aspx

Thanks,

Product Concerns
I figured this would be a good heads up for anyone who plans to buy any newer issues of these sets.

Updated 2/10/2018:
Seeing as how the Season Booklets seems to be harder to get ahold of since most of the download links FUNimation provided above no longer work and this forum post is the first thing to come up when you search "dragon ball season booklets," I created a dropbox folder with the PDFs of said booklets in case people are still looking for them:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txlzy8332soo ... vBKOa?dl=0

Updated 07/08/2021:
Uploaded to archive.org for wider availability: https://archive.org/details/dragon-ball-season-books
Last edited by dragondyle on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
You must have faith in who you are.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: DB, DBZ, & DBGT Season Sets no longer come with booklets

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 am

Why would I want to download a PDF file of their booklet? Going Green? What does that even mean? How is it hurting the earth by printing a booklet? sounds like someone's getting cheap.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:50 am

Saving paper = Saving trees?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 am

I still think it's ridiculous. Do we stop buying paper to print or write on because we're afraid of destroying trees? Also that goes back to building homes. Do we stop building homes and constructing them because we're afraid of running out of wood?
Last edited by samuraix123 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:55 am

Well, they put the PDFs up for those who didn't get the booklets can still have them digitally (I'm glad they put them up so I can Season 5's booklet). I guess they didn't wanna pay for them anymore to save money/save trees. But I don't know, that's their way of contributing to "going green" I guess.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 am

Yeah. Thanks for the heads up though. At least now I know that if I buy the blue season sets to not look forward to the booklets.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 am

No problem, I don't want anyone else to run into this problem. Thought I'd bring it up since no one else has. At least they are somewhat accessible. It is annoying however since I like actual physical books.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:13 am

Eh, it was useful to have just for referencing which episode is on which disc. It's pretty detrimental to leave that out.

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 am

FindKenshi wrote:Eh, it was useful to have just for referencing which episode is on witch disc. It's pretty detrimental to leave that out.
Yeah that's pretty much the only reason they were good. I hope they just print the episode lists on the reverse of the sleeves or somewhere if they're gonna be doing this as not knowing which episode is on which disc will get really annoying.

Otherwise I won't miss them and they're umm...interesting profiles ("Tien - Race: Decendant of the three-eyed people" :lol: )
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 am

Going green... No, more like saving green.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 am

Thank you.

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:59 am

Is there anywhere that someone has ordered from recently that still has the booklets come with them? I need to complete the "remastered" DVD release. :(

Also, do the Kai Blu-rays come with booklets?
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

Brodes_Vegetto

Post by Brodes_Vegetto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:53 am

Damn, just another reason for me to prolong picking up the blue bricks. :( I'll probably end up cracking under pressure anyway. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up!
Brogetto

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:39 am

Going Green=Saving money.

I thought Funimation was using that paper that saves trees and feels different than the paper from the earlier Dragon Ball Z remastered booklets. Also, I remember the sleeves from Dragon Ball Season 5 feeling different from earlier seasons. I am glad I bought those sets as they were being released so I didn't miss out on the booklets.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 am

Do I sense some sort of green-denial from a couple of you...? Methinks you need to read up on a little actual science reporting :).

Yeah, it kinda sucks that they're no longer including those booklets, but it definitely is a great way to make up the reduced cost these have shifted down to and keep as much profit as they can, along with it also definitely being a great way to take out something that isn't absolutely necessary to the product's enjoyment and not have a bunch of wasteful paper stock sitting on store shelves.
gohan2k wrote:Otherwise I won't miss them and they're umm...interesting profiles ("Tenshinhan - Race: Decendant of the three-eyed people" :lol: )
That's not random, total bullshit, or anything. That's legitimate information pulled from daizenshuu four (which also popped up in the character profiles in one of the "Sparking!" games, which is where I think most English-only-speaking fans started throwing a stink over it).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:46 am

Do I sense some sort of green-denial from a couple of you...? Methinks you need to read up on a little actual science reporting .
I gotta admit that did make me laugh :P I've just heard way too many stories about people trying to save the forests and GO GREEN! chaining themselves up to trees because they're afraid of God knows what. and while they're chained up to the tree their wondering when they can go home and get their Government check cashed.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:51 am

VegettoEX wrote:Do I sense some sort of green-denial from a couple of you...? Methinks you need to read up on a little actual science reporting :).

Yeah, it kinda sucks that they're no longer including those booklets, but it definitely is a great way to make up the reduced cost these have shifted down to and keep as much profit as they can, along with it also definitely being a great way to take out something that isn't absolutely necessary to the product's enjoyment and not have a bunch of wasteful paper stock sitting on store shelves.
gohan2k wrote:Otherwise I won't miss them and they're umm...interesting profiles ("Tenshinhan - Race: Decendant of the three-eyed people" :lol: )
That's not random, total bullshit, or anything. That's legitimate information pulled from daizenshuu four (which also popped up in the character profiles in one of the "Sparking!" games, which is where I think most English-only-speaking fans started throwing a stink over it).
Seriously, costs for those booklets start adding up and they make TONS of copies of these set. Removing the booklets it a smart business idea to save money and save paper. And I'm always glad to see FUNimation use ACTUAL behind-the-scenes information of the show. I think early on in their career they were pulling shit out of their asses, no?
samuraix123 wrote: I gotta admit that did make me laugh :P I've just heard way too many stories about people trying to save the forests and GO GREEN! chaining themselves up to trees because they're afraid of God knows what. and while they're chained up to the tree their wondering when they can go home and get their Government check cashed.
O_o I think you have the wrong impression on "going green," sir. lol

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:56 am

Well dang it! what is it? lol :lol: I can't believe we're sitting here talking about paper :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:11 am

oXdanXo wrote: Also, do the Kai Blu-rays come with booklets?
No, Kai does not come with booklets
samuraix123 wrote:Well dang it! what is it? lol :lol: I can't believe we're sitting here talking about paper :P
Going green has many definitions I guess you could say, depending on what subject you're talking about (eg., gas, electric, water, ect.) In terms of paper, using less paper will, in theory, save trees. By using less paper, less paper will be demanded and thus less trees will be used to make paper. FUNimation has taken a pledge to go green and use eco-friendly and more recyclable packaging that is cheaper to make and cut out booklets as well. Saving paper and using cost effective packaging help them save money and helps save trees as well.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 am

Thank you. I went to my friendly neighborhood Google and got all different kinds of explanations. still sucks though about no booklets.
#1 Paikuhan fan!