Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Those were different times, Penguin.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Why are we still arguing about this? I think it's just a matter of principle. You just don't do that kind of shit nowadays.

Now enough talk about the potential of a replacement track. It probably won't happen, since they're not stupid.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Considering Toei Animation did a horrible job handling the Kikuchi Z music in Kai, then Ocean can't be worse than Toei was.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Honestly, Toei should've taken the time to make an all new score for Kai with Episodes 96 and 97 having Kikuchi's music as temporary replacements. Like get the guys who composed some of the Video Game music who DIDN'T has anything to do with Yamamoto.

Well, at least I think they should've done so.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Why are we still arguing about this? I think it's just a matter of principle. You just don't do that kind of shit nowadays.

Now enough talk about the potential of a replacement track. It probably won't happen, since they're not stupid.
This is a kid's anime, and a likely TV-only dub. It's not uncommon to this day for replaced scores to happen.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Ringworm128
I Live Here

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:46 pm

penguintruth wrote:It's a dub studio's responsibility to render an English version which falls closely in line with the Japanese version. That is, with an accurate script, and without altering sound effects or music.

Now, true, Toei may allow a company to change the music, but just because you're allowed to do something, doesn't mean you should.

If Ocean wants to add their own music, they should make their own cartoon, not turn an existing one into theirs. They didn't make the show. If they can't sell it as it is, they shouldn't take on the project at all.
You act like your opinion is the only one that's valid. I would rather watch Kai with a new score rather then Kikuchi music that makes Kai even more redundant. And I wouldn't give a Rat's ass that it's not the original. The company has the legal right to do what they want with the show as long a Toei approves and I have no problem as long as it turns out just as good as or better then the original.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 pm

If TOEI didn't want people to replace music on their shows then they wouldn't license it to those people, or it be in their contract not to do so.

It really doesn't bother me if they do decide to change the music. As long as it's original and not taken for another show. I don't have a problem with the Megaman score Ocean used, but it gets odd when you watch Megaman and DBZ togteher lol

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:06 am

According to Brendan Hunter's Facebook:
I am a voice actor for ocean. I am not allowed to discuss shows that haven't been released or publicly confirmed. Follow me and as soon as I can talk about it I will. I can talk about dbgt and dragon ball for which I did oob and tien respectively. Plus numerous smaller characters. Standby on Kai... :D

Hope you and other DB fans will follow me so I can keep ppl posted as I hear more
Whoa.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:18 am

Did he really write "Oob" and "Tenshinhan" or was it "Uub" and "Tien?"

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:51 am

I copied and pasted it as so, so yes.

That's how Ocean rolls, true to the original.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:55 am

Attitudefan wrote:I copied and pasted it as so, so yes.

It doesn't matter if you copied and pasted it; I'm pretty sure the forum would still change it to Tenshinhan if shortened....

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 am

G1Ravage wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:I copied and pasted it as so, so yes.

It doesn't matter if you copied and pasted it; I'm pretty sure the forum would still change it to Tenshinhan if shortened....
I went back to look and he said T(i)en. How he spelled Oob is as is.

Ringworm128
I Live Here

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 am

So is this another confirmation? All we need now is Brian Drummond to say he is returning to voice Vegeta.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:48 am

ringworm128 wrote:So is this another confirmation? All we need now is Brian Drummond to say he is returning to voice Vegeta.
Yes it is. He may be part of it. He says he cannot say anything until it is done. That's a pretty wicked hint!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm guessing he'll be Tien for the 8 lines of dialog he gets in Kai.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:31 pm

How do you guys find out who's still working for Ocean? It's beginning to seem like most of the previous actors have moved on which is disappointing but understandable.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:27 pm

According to Brendan Walker, their voice actor for goku is in this.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Is he Elecman?

And people say Goku's Japanese voice sounds "gay".

Yes, before you ask, I am aware that he'd probably do a different voice for Goku...
Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Attitudefan wrote:According to Brendan Walker, their voice actor for goku is in this.
Who? Their are a couple voices in that clip. I also think it's important to keep in mind that just because we hear a particular voice in this clip doesn't mean the voice actor in question will use the same voice for portraying Goku.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:According to Brendan Walker, their voice actor for goku is in this.
Who? Their are a couple voices in that clip. I also think it's important to keep in mind that just because we hear a particular voice in this clip doesn't mean the voice actor in question will use the same voice for portraying Goku.
He didn't say who. He just stated it as so with the video