First heard of Dragon Ball through the games

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

First heard of Dragon Ball through the games

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Who else did? I fondly remember getting Budokai 1 for the PS2 at my local Target. My brother was already a big fan of Z on Toonami, so he told me about the show and it sounded awesome to me. To this day, the Budokai trilogy on the PS2 are my favorite Dragon Ball games.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: First heard of Dragon Ball through the games

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Actually I remember just flipping through the channels when I was a kid and I saw Piccolo and thought he looked awesome. I was watching the saiyan saga. And I've been hooked ever since :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I did watch the show before playing the games, but the games were also a key part in me loving the whole franchise. Budokai 1 was one of my first PS2 games, Budokai 2 was pretty good, but Budokai 3 is still, in my opinion, the pinnacle of DBZ games.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:04 am

I heard about DBZ when I was in 3rd grade hearing someone saying: "Did you see, Goku blasted of Cell's head" and I was just confused, went to watch it at home later that day and it was awesome. Then the reruns came on and I caught back up. Then the Buu saga hit when I was in 4th grade, and it was AMAZING....at the time.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:42 am

If I hadn't bought DBZ: Supersonic Warriors (my first DB game and I was playing it for years) I don't know if I would be here today.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:54 am

I watched the show and being fan of fighting games and always dreamed of one based on dragon ball.
It was at the time the internet was in it's beginning here and outside of Pokémon, we didn't know much that there exist games based on franchises, but franchises like Pokémon based on games.
The first thing my friend found by chance was Buu Yuu Retsuden on Sega and we were hyped as hell about it!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:14 am

Oh fuck, I forgot to write the first sentence of my previous post!
I watched the anime first, but the video game helped me not to forget the basics of the story, and keep it alive in my memories.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:47 am

First time I heard & watched Dragon Ball was in 1992-1993, I was very little but enjoyed the show and Goku's adventures.

The first game of DB I first played was a pirated copy named Super Butoden 2 NES Pirated (the original game existed already), then in 2000-ish Dragon Ball Final Bout came along, it was a great game while I knew how the hell to play it 'cos now I'm a noob if I try to play it.

By the way, I ain't got no clue how to play Dragon Ball Ultimate Battle 22. :lol:
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:By the way, I ain't got no clue how to play Dragon Ball Ultimate Battle 22. :lol:
These era of SNES and PS games are playing the same. arrows and button combos and most of the time, the combination for kamehameha's type superwaves are same for all characters in Butoudens and UB22 and Final Bout, more simmilar to how Street Fighter is played. As I grew up on this generation of games, it was a little letdown for me on the PS2.
Also, I must admit, lot of combos in Budokai 1 and 2 were somewhat harder for me to execute for me as I'm the ''Street Fighter'' type of player and also I hated this punch kick punch arrow punch combos...... But well, it's funny that I also love Mortal Kombat series and that have the combos simmilar too first two Budokai games and I started to play MK more at the same time as Budokai, so I'm more adjusted to it and now the street fighter combos are damn easy for me to execute
and these Budokai/MK controls are more competitive and fun for me.

In this view of things, controls of Budokai 3/IW and Sparking series are rudiculous for a fighting genre, but I still like the last two Budokai games for it being more like ''fun time'' with Dragon Ball franchise and relax than playing a competitive fighter.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 am

I've told this story before, but I'll say it again. I must've been 7 or 8 when my friend first told me about Dragon Ball Z, and I remember being completely confused as to what the hell "Super Saiyan" was. So, when I later went round his house, we played Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout. Despite both of them being crappy games, I still have nostalgia for them, since they were what got me sucked into DB, persuaded me to buy a DBZ magazine in which I learned some other things about the series, and later bought Budokai 2.

Budokai 2 was probably my first insight into the actual story, so because of this, I initially thought that Raditz came to Earth with Nappa, Android #20 fought Gokuu personally, Trunks became Super Saiyan 2, Freeza and Cell returned and were possessed by Bobbodi, etc. I remember my aforementioned friend and I staying up late and then getting up early the next morning to play Budokai 2, having unlocked new characters like Gotenks and Vegetto.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:First time I heard & watched Dragon Ball was in 1992-1993, I was very little but enjoyed the show and Goku's adventures.

The first game of DB I first played was a pirated copy named Super Butoden 2 NES Pirated (the original game existed already), then in 2000-ish Dragon Ball Final Bout came along, it was a great game while I knew how the hell to play it 'cos now I'm a noob if I try to play it.

By the way, I ain't got no clue how to play Dragon Ball Ultimate Battle 22. :lol:
Come on! Ultimate Battle 22 is the best Dragon Ball game everrr! Ehh...not really, but I will tell you this much, when I was 12 or 13 and first got it, I didn't discriminate, it was something I was hooked on. I always alternated between Ultimate Battle 22, Final Bout, and Legends, all Japanese versions. To me, that was the coolest thing ever and I compared Ultimate Battle 22 with Final Bout and actually appreciated the graphics of UB22 over Final Bout because...while in UB22 they look like themselves, in Final Bout they look like a bunch of colorful blocks.

But no, I knew of the DB series way before the games. In fact I racked my brain trying to find Dragon Ball games. I knew that an English version of Final Bout existed and I must have went to every hole in the wall video game store to find it. Finally my parents bought me Legends and Final Bout (Japanese versions) from a place in China Town. UB22, I actually found in an EB Games...yeah, saw a Japanese game at EB Games. However, since then all of them broke and I replaced them through Amazon or Ebay. It's funny how life turns out. I went through so much trouble as a kid finding these and when I did, it was like the heavens opened up, but now it's just a click away and there's no real sentimental value to it. Also there was a place called Game Cave (888-GAM-ECAV was the phone number lol) and they actually had Sega Genesis DBZ games and I replaced my Legends through them. Sucks they closed down, but it was such a cool time period.

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:30 am

I first heard of DBZ through Super Nintendo magazine Super Play. It was one of the few magazines that covered import games. I played the games via emulation (back in the days I did things like that) & didn't really get into them all that much, though I liked Hyper Dimension.

Years later I own them all & enjoy them a lot more. Familiarity with the show probably helps there...

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:52 pm

My best friend's brother actually introduced me to it. He showed me a episode of the Freeza Ark. I told him it was "all right" but I knew I was already hooked! :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:14 pm

I was watching the anime for 3 years or so before Budokai came out, so that was my first game. I wasn't into many fighting games as a kid, except for Smash Bros., but I didn't care what kind of game it was. I ended loving the game.
If it weren't for the video games keeping me interested enough in the series, then I might not have cared at all when the DBoxes and Kai came along in '09, since I stopped paying much attention to the series after the UUC episodes on Toonami. The games were also the reason for me deciding to collect the VizBigs when I saw ads for them in the US Shonen Jump.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

Like the user who started thinking this account, my brother and our cousin were fans of the series. My brother owned Budokai, and I just picked up the controller one day. I must have been around only eight, but that first battle with Raditz has made the series a part of already half my life. My brother now finds anime childish, but hey, it's his loss. :mrgreen:
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

Like the user who started this topic, my brother and our cousin were fans of the series. My brother owned Budokai, and I just picked up the controller one day. I must have been around only eight, but that first battle with Raditz has made the series a part of already half my life. My brother now finds anime childish, but hey, it's his loss. :mrgreen:
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 am

When browsing through a Snes game list in about '94 I noticed there were a lot of DBZ games for it. I didn't do anything with it but I've heard about it pretty early.
Jord doesn't have a avatar because the combination of Jord and a equally cool avatar would cause the universe to implode.