Portuguese Dragon Ball Tankoubon Edition *On Going* - Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Re: Portuguese Dragon Ball Tankoubon Edition *On Going* - Re

Post by jrdemr » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Personally, I'm a purist, so I think they should have just left everything as it was in the original. Of course, some adaptations are required, otherwise, we would end up with "Gokuu", "Bejita" "Seru" and the like. I understand your reasoning for "Djinn Buu", and it makes sense, but I still believe it should have been kept as is, if nothing else, for the fact that the "M" in Buu's belt and in Dabura's and Vegeta's heads now stands for nothing.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion, I guess. That's why we have forums - so we can bounce different ideas off of each other :)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:20 pm

But that "M" isn't confirmed or even implied in the manga to stand for Majin, though.

Many assume that is stands for Majin but there's several theories on it, that it means "Majin", or that it means "Madoushi", that its just a symbol, that it means "Ma"...

Here's a topic about it: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... emon+guide

And here is what the demon guide says about it:
It is not known just what this “M” stands for. “Majin” is one possibility, but it could also stand for “madōshi” (Babidi’s title, meaning “mage” or “warlock”). It could also simply be an alien symbol that only coincidentally resembles the letter M, similiar to how Superman’s S is supposed to be a Kryptonian symbol.
In http://www.kanzenshuu.com/tidbits/demon-guide/

So, the "M" keeps its mysterious meaning even if Majin is translated to Djinn.

Btw, what other Viz mangas you collect? I collect One Piece, Death Note and started to collect Toriko. One Piece is almost perfect. Its too early to tell about Toriko, only have one volume so far. Death Note is also almost perfect. Though, if I had known that there would be a portuguese edition of it I might not have bought it.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Yeah, it's never said outright, but...when you have the main character of that faction named "Majin Boo" with an "M" in him...I mean, come on now.

Looking at it logically, Bibidi and Babidi are the "Madoushi" (導師) that create (and/or alter) beings called "Majin" (人). Either way, you still have that visual connection shown at plain sight. But if you're not willing to explain that it can be one of those two things...you just have a letter shown over and over and over for no reason.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:15 pm

I have Naruto, Death Note, Strawberry 100% (which ALSO got dropped! :x ), Yakitate!! Japan, Dr. Slump, recently began One Piece and i'm thinking about starting Bleach afterwards.

Viz does its best when the manga is just so "adult" (more mature than usual) that they just can't put the T rating they love so much. For example, Death Note - since it has a very serious and dark tone, they can't give it a rating lower than T+ - which means no censorship. Strawberry 100% also had to have a T+ rating, given that it's filled with sexual content.

But more popular manga, like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach are not so lucky... since the kids like it, they "feel" like they "have" to censor it so it'll be more "kid-friendly". Which is curious, since they all have a T rating, which means it's supposed to be for teenagers, not for kids... and therefore, there should be no need to censor anything, given that teens can handle whatever the original had. All stuff that could be averted if Viz just didn't care about the soccer moms and told them that it's a teen manga, so it's not supposed to be read by kids.

On a sidenote, Yakitate!! Japan really surprised me - even though it's the most harmless manga I ever read - it's about bakeries and bread-making - it got a T+ rating - just because it had half a dozen more mature scenes and a drug reference (they once made a bread with hemp seeds). I guess the fact that it doesn't really appeal to kids and the fact that the anime never aired in the US meant that since it wasn't that popular, they could just leave it uncensored for the one target they expected to actually buy the manga - actual manga/anime fans.

Which just goes to show they can do a really great job. Unfortunately, it seems that popularity ruins a manga in the US...

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:23 pm

jrdemr wrote:Which just goes to show they can do a really great job. Unfortunately, it seems that popularity ruins a manga in the US...
Bakuman seems to have a pretty decent following, and Viz wasn't afraid to include the term "hot shit" in there. Bakuman is probably the best Viz release I've seen so far.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Rukura wrote: Bakuman seems to have a pretty decent following, and Viz wasn't afraid to include the term "hot shit" in there. Bakuman is probably the best Viz release I've seen so far.
Well, it may have a decent following, but it's no Dragon Ball nor no One Piece. And that "holy shit" was most likely a slip-up, I can't imagine Viz letting that in on purpose.

Unless they're loosening up. To which I say: "Why didn't you start doing that when you were publishing some of our favorite manga?!".

But most likely it was just a slip-up. Hopefully not, better late than never.

Oh, Viz, why are you so... american? Blood and gore, that's all fine and dandy, but a nipple glimpse or a minor alcohol reference, no, that's just too much!

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:55 pm

jrdemr wrote:Well, it may have a decent following, but it's no Dragon Ball nor no One Piece. And that "holy shit" was most likely a slip-up, I can't imagine Viz letting that in on purpose.

Unless they're loosening up. To which I say: "Why didn't you start doing that when you were publishing some of our favorite manga?!".

But most likely it was just a slip-up. Hopefully not, better late than never.
Well, it's impossible to be at the level of Dragon Ball or One Piece, but it does benefit from being made by the creators of Death Note (and it's awesome :P )

I think that, at least with Bakuman, they're being more loose. It came from the line "You think you're hot shit?!" which was relevant to the scene. Not really a slip-up, since they used just "shit" in another situation in another volume before that. (I was amazed that they were able to go that far for the sake of accuracy to the scene)

There was also a more visually risqué scene that wasn't censored at all, much to my surprise. (Viz gets all my money for Bakuman)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:28 pm

jrdemr wrote:Rats. Now I'm going to have to turn to Viz's edition. Censorship and stupid name translations... yay...
You could try ordering the Kanzenban from Spain. It's completely uncut and doesn't have idiocies like Vеgerot or Hеrcule. I have the entire Boo arc from them and it's pretty decent.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Puto wrote:Our dub name for Makankôsappô... is inexistent. Because all Piccolo/Satan said in the dub was "Atenção!"

Raio da Morte was a cross-translation issue: Viz had Light of Death there.

Actually in Movie 9 Krillin said this "Bem, só espero que ele não utilize a "Agulha Mágica"" when fighting against Piccolo/Satã.

About ASA stoping with the manga, well maybe they'll continue someday after releasing 18 but I doubt it. Also does anyone here have the complete Planeta DeAgostini edition? I got a chance to get 3 volumes (none of them included the Z portion) but don't know anyone who had the entire 42 volumes.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Rukura wrote: I think that, at least with Bakuman, they're being more loose. It came from the line "You think you're hot shit?!" which was relevant to the scene. Not really a slip-up, since they used just "shit" in another situation in another volume before that.
Huh. Once could be a slip-up, but twice... Maybe that just has to do with the particular editor for that manga being more loose. But if Viz is indeed finally starting to loosen up... it's a bit too late, since many of my favorite manga have already been corrupted, but better late then never, I guess... Even if it's just the editor for Bakuman, at least it opened up a precedent.
Puto wrote: You could try ordering the Kanzenban from Spain. It's completely uncut and doesn't have idiocies like Vеgerot or Hеrcule. I have the entire Boo arc from them and it's pretty decent.
Thanks, but reading manga in spanish would give me the impression I'm watching Dragon Ball on Canal Panda :D For me, it's either English, portuguese or japanese (would be nice if i could actually understand everything in the japanese edition, but I guess I still have a few more lessons to go.)
Quebaz wrote: Also does anyone here have the complete Planeta DeAgostini edition? I got a chance to get 3 volumes (none of them included the Z portion) but don't know anyone who had the entire 42 volumes.
Now you do. I have the 42. It's readable (it was actually through them that I read the full Dragon Ball history for the first time) but it's plagued with mistakes due to sticking too close to the spanish edition. I'll give you two, for illustrative purposes: "Perdoa!" instead of "desculpa!" (happens numerous times) and my personal favorite "Que pesado és!" instead of "Irra, que és chato!".

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:34 pm

So basically, blind idiot translation from Spanish.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

It's also filled with dubisms, like "Coraçãozinho de Satã" instead of "Piccolo", "Kika" instead of "Chichi" and "Bolas de cristal" instead of "Dragon Balls". We also have "Saiyanjin" instead of the correct "Saiyajin", "Mr. Satã" instead of the correct "Mr. Satan" and "Monstro Bu" instead of "Majin Buu" (though it's still better than the dub's "Bubu" and solves the "M" issue). We do have "Vegetto", nonetheless.

Back to the changes in the Viz manga, I just remembered that I forgot the most stupid of all changes: weren't Mr. Popo's lips reduced in the manga?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 pm

He doesn't have noticeable lips.

It one of those things that we only notice if we actually know that his original design has lips. Most of Viz's changes are like that, you wouldn't even notice if you weren't aware.

Doesn't bother me at all personally. It doesn't look weird (IMO) and it doesn't change anything in the manga.

Original:

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks for the screenshot, rereboy, a picture is always worth a thousand words :)

Hmm, i thought it was worse. I thought it completely ruined Mr. Popo. It's still completely needless, but bearable.

(Well, at least he's not fluorescent blue!)
Last edited by jrdemr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:15 pm

jrdemr wrote:"Mr. Satã" instead of the correct "Mr. Satan"
What's the issue with Mr. Satã than Mr. Satan?

It's a correct translation because this is what Satan means in Portuguese not stupid Hercules.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:55 pm

It's not exactly a bad translation per se, it's just that I was taught that proper nouns are never translated (with a few exceptions, such as the names of kings). I know that Mr. Satan is not exactly his real name, but nonetheless, it was in english in the original, so it should have been kept as is.

Not to mention it's incoherent, because it leaves part of the name in english and translates the other part to portuguese.

I know what you're trying to say, I know it's not exactly the worse translation ever and I know it's no "Hércules", but it's just bad translation practice.

I wouldn't exactly mind if they translated a genuine japanese word, like Kami-sama. And it would make perfect sense to translate this one, actually - funnily enough, that's the one word that's usually kept in japanese. I guess they're trying to avoid religious controversy and stuff, but when I first saw that word in DeAgostini's edition, back when I was about 11, I thought that Kami-sama was just his name. Only after I actually dived into the anime world did I realize it means God.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:57 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
jrdemr wrote:"Mr. Satã" instead of the correct "Mr. Satan"
What's the issue with Mr. Satã than Mr. Satan?

It's a correct translation because this is what Satan means in Portuguese not stupid Hercules.
Satan (as in the devil) in Portuguese is Satanás. Mr. Satã is just idiotic.
"Monstro Bu" instead of "Majin Buu" (though it's still better than the dub's "Bubu" and solves the "M" issue).
That actually comes from the spanish manga, which uses Monstruo Bu. The other ones are pt-exclusive though.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:07 am

Puto wrote: Satan (as in the devil) in Portuguese is Satanás. Mr. Satã is just idiotic.
"Satã" is actually an alternative way of saying "Satanás" (http://www.infopedia.pt/lingua-portuguesa-aao/Sat%C3%A3); a more informal way, but a correct way, nonetheless. Though I agree with that second sentence :D

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm

jrdemr wrote:Thanks, but reading manga in spanish would give me the impression I'm watching Dragon Ball on Canal Panda :D
Just because it's in Spanish? Odd reason.

The Spanish version that I've heard also uses "Bolas de Cristal" and "Bolas Mágicas", plus there's some actual swearing for example "mierda".

I for one love Spanish dubbed anime one that I'd like to watch all from commence to end would be Dr. Slump and Arale-chan but right now it's not possible (they've been released in sets - 12 eps per box) due to the prices, maybe sometime in the future.

By the way, the Spanish usually do a much better job at anime than the Portuguese so avoiding the Spanish mangas for being, well, in Spanish, isn't a good excuse.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm

The spanish manga doesn't have any of those stupid dubisms. It uses Bolas del Dragón.