Need Japanese Boys names

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Need Japanese Boys names

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:41 pm

Working on a short story for school that takes place from August 2-8, 1945 (August 6 was when A-Bomb was dropped). It stars a kid getting beaten up and I need more names for boys (bullies hardly ever act alone). I don't want freaky names with super special meanings (which is what I find on the net) so so far I've been taking the names of mangaka, but Akira and Masashi can only go so far. Any suggestions?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:50 pm

How about Shinji, Taro, Jun, Kojiro? These last three are really common, typical ones Satoshi, Ryu, and Takeshi.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:56 pm

Can't use Satoshi (long story) but the others are a good help, thanks. And Sakura LITTERALLY means cherry blossom (Card Captor "Cherry Blossom"! Damn!)! I thought it was also a girl's name! What are the odds that my teacher knew that and I didn't?!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:02 pm

I thought it was also a girl's name!
Don't you mean you thought it was a boy's name? :? Otherwise, it is actually a girl's name. Oh, and your welcome. If you need more names, ask me again, I'm kind of obsessed with studying Japanese culture.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:06 pm

I'm trying to veer away from names taken from anime and manga if possible because of the whole Sakura thing and name-puns mangaka use. In fact that's why I took the mangakas real names. :D

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Good idea. Ya, when I gave the suggestions to you, I made sure to make sure they were actual Japanese names that you see in real life for the same reason. Just thinking up anime names to me is kind of small-minded, as well as often ending up being really inaccurate. Silly fan person: "I think I'll name my character Naruto, that's a good Japanese name!" That's actually the little swirly fishcakes that float in ramen you silly, silly dope! You just named your character "Fishcake"!:lol:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:22 pm

Silly fan person: "I think I'll name my character Naruto, that's a good Japanese name!" That's actually the little swirly fishcakes that float in ramen you silly, silly dope! You just named your character "Fishcake"!
:shock:

**Deletes whole text in a fit of rage** :evil:

:D

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:29 pm

Hee hee. :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:17 pm

It sounds like you're writing about a very specific event, which means that writing about an "everyday" kinda person would be pretty important. As such, I'd go with "Taro," as it's such a common, non-important name... which would lead it to speak volumes.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:42 pm

Very true.