Kai Continues Outside Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:37 am

Gonstead wrote:I hope Eric Vale will reprise his roll as the Tournament Announcer.

I absolutely love his performance as him and the Announcer has made his way up into my favorite characters recently.
Yeah I liked the announcer voice a lot.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 pm

^Second. You can question his new Trunks but the Announcer voice he did was great.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:47 pm

C'mon guyyyys. OF COURSE there will be a FUNi dub. If overseas success is what's brought it back from the dead, a ton of that success is from the show's immense popularity on Nicktoons. Hope it'll be as consistent as possible this time around. Truly a wish come true. SO thrilled about this... For rillz.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:19 pm

I hope these episodes look as good as the the Ginyu-Freeza arc. After that Quality wise with footage, it looked bad.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:35 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:I hope these episodes look as good as the the Ginyu-Freeza arc. After that Quality wise with footage, it looked bad.
It wasn't awful for me but certainly not up to par.

Say, anything that'd be censored from the Z version. I dunno about the Anime but when Boo blasted Bobbidi head off in the Manga it was pretty graphic. And I think one farmer near Bobbidi's spaceship was cut in half.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I wonder if they will have Vegito start off as a SSj like he did in the manga or keep the fight scenes with him in his base form?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 am

Was thinking if Funimation did like they did with the other volumes, who would you guys want singing the theme songs? I can see maybe Laura Bailey, as she does have a nice singing voice. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxktEhOxzc

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:12 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:I hope these episodes look as good as the the Ginyu-Freeza arc. After that Quality wise with footage, it looked bad.
They won't.

Toei had 35mm film for those episodes, which is why they looked the best. I also don't see the complaint with the quality after that. It all looks the same as the rest of Kai's footage to me.

Also, if Laura Bailey returns as Trunks, I really hope she voices him like she did kid Vegeta in Goku's hallucination during the fight with Freeza. That was much less raspy than her Z Trunks voice, and would be much more desirable.

Though it's also possible that she'll up the rasp to match Vale's Kai performance. :x
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:14 am

If there is a new opening and ending with one of them being slightly lower then usual then I would want to here Chris Sabat sing.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Also, if Laura Bailey returns as Trunks, I really hope she voices him like she did kid Vegeta in Goku's hallucination during the fight with Freeza. That was much less raspy than her Z Trunks voice, and would be much more desirable.
I definitely agree with you here. That was actually an impressive little stint.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:09 pm

ringworm128 wrote:If there is a new opening and ending with one of them being slightly lower then usual then I would want to here Chris Sabat sing.
Would they do that like how We Gotta Power took over for Cha La Head Cha La.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Was thinking if Funimation did like they did with the other volumes, who would you guys want singing the theme songs? I can see maybe Laura Bailey, as she does have a nice singing voice. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxktEhOxzc
Ahh. Good stuff. I could listen to Laura Bailey sing all day long, especially...a...certain part of those lyrics...*clears throat*

A-Anyway! Yeah, I could totally hear her doing a rendition of a song, it'll just depend on what the songs are like though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:23 pm

I can't find a clip, but in the episode where Kid Trunks debuts for the first time, Bailey used a voice that sounds somewhat like the voice she ended up using for Shin in "Shin-Chan." She rather quickly started transferring over to the voice we're familiar with.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:34 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I can't find a clip, but in the episode where Kid Trunks debuts for the first time, Bailey used a voice that sounds somewhat like the voice she ended up using for Shin in "Shin-Chan." She rather quickly started transferring over to the voice we're familiar with.
About an episode or two after that appearance, she more or less settled into the role.

The debut though is off putting, a little too boyish and forced sounding it seemed like.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 pm

If Toei Animation uses Majin Buu DBZ BGM tracks, then fine by me, I adored them. However, if it's composed by the DBZ 2013 film eh, it might work.

What's most important is also the picture quality which will probably look as bad as Androids-Cell did since they never bothered to do a decent remaster job, and keeping the anime Buu episodes faithful to the manga.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If Toei Animation uses Majin Buu DBZ BGM tracks, then fine by me, I adored them. However, if it's composed by the DBZ 2013 film eh, it might work.

What's most important is also the picture quality which will probably look as bad as Androids-Cell did since they never bothered to do a decent remaster job, and keeping the anime Buu episodes faithful to the manga.
You keep mentioning how the Android/Cell stuff looks worse than the first half of the series and to be honest, I never actually noticed this. Would you mind providing some screen caps since my Kai collection is a bit of a mish-mash of both the DVDs and the Blu-Rays?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:29 pm

I can't provide screenshots because I don't have a BDP on the PC, but it should be obvious.

Take this for example, from Blu-ray.com:
For a 2009-2011 production it should've looked a lot better and actually clean, and sharp, but nope.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:43 am

I don't think that sort of thing is specific to the latter half of Kai.
Kai was never a sharp looking show to begin with and I don't think the screen shot you chose was a very good example because the lighting and the colours used there allow the grit on the film to stand out more. If you look at a regular day time scene I'm sure the dirt won't be as apparent and if I recall correctly, there have been shots like that throughout Kai, but it might help to see it in motion.

But then again, I still don't own Parts 7 and 8, so I can't make much of an argument here and I don't know anything about film anyway so I'm just basing my opinions off general observation so...(Runs away and hides) :lol:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:26 am

Toshio Furukawa's official site semi-confirms that Yuji Mitsuya is back as Kaioshin. According to the site, they recorded their lines for a "certain anime" at a voice recording studio in Shinjuku, which obviously is TAVAC (Toei Audio and Visual Art Center.) It also says that they're recording voices separately, which increases the chance that Minagawa returns as Videl.

http://www.topio.jp/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:58 am

kei17 wrote:Toshio Furukawa's official site semi-confirms that Yuji Mitsuya is back as Kaioshin. According to the site, they recorded their lines for a "certain anime" at a voice recording studio in Shinjuku, which obviously is TAVAC (Toei Audio and Visual Art Center.) It also says that they're recording voices separately, which increases the chance that Minagawa returns as Videl.

http://www.topio.jp/

Why does it increase the chance of Minagawa returning as Videl? Because she wouldn't be able to be in the recording studio without her Mr.Satan "papa"?