Dragon Box FUNimation Survey

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Box FUNimation Survey

Post by G1Ravage » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 pm

FUNimation announced something for next year?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:41 pm

G1Ravage wrote:FUNimation announced something for next year?
Not officially and not yet.

We had word from a rep that they've planned a release for the original Dragon Ball anime for 2013. The Dragon Box survey came out afterwards and we've just made educated guesses at this point.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 am

I wonder how they'll split the Dragon Ball DBOX?

Also, kind of a shame the movies haven't been announced yet, I thought it would have been nice for them to come out this holiday season, so 2013 would be devoted to the first anime.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 am

Insertclevername wrote:I wonder how they'll split the Dragon Ball DBOX?

Also, kind of a shame the movies haven't been announced yet, I thought it would have been nice for them to come out this holiday season, so 2013 would be devoted to the first anime.
I wonder if they will go with 7 boxes like Z?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:56 am

Four boxes with 38-39 episodes a piece seems most logical to me.
-Joey

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:31 am

The series splits evenly into 3 boxes.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 am

OutlawTorn wrote:The series splits evenly into 3 boxes.
Yeah, but that would mean eight discs per set, meaning they'd be more expensive than the DBZ boxes were at launch date, and since they'd be a limited release (possibly even more so than the DBZ boxes due to lesser popularity), I'd want to be able to get them as soon as possible, and not wait until their prices drop.
-Joey

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
OutlawTorn wrote:The series splits evenly into 3 boxes.
Yeah, but that would mean eight discs per set, meaning they'd be more expensive than the DBZ boxes were at launch date, and since they'd be a limited release (possibly even more so than the DBZ boxes due to lesser popularity), I'd want to be able to get them as soon as possible, and not wait until their prices drop.
I agree 100%! I won't be screwing around this time if Funimation releases them.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:05 am

True, but even if they were more expensive per set as a result, it's a difference between seven purchases and three. The overall cost shouldn't be too much of an issue, at least from my point of view, since if I were to put some extra money aside it should cover the cost of such a set when it comes out. Or, should it be arranged differently, and therefore cheaper, I'd be set either way.

All in all, there's no other way to even distribute the episodes across multiple sets until you get all the way up to 9 sets, it's also the only way to utilize as much of the original art for the DVD books. If it was set up like the DBZ boxes, each set would have two DVD books. Whereas with the DBZ books, the only thing that really changed with each book was the spine mural (and the character depicted on the back), as there's no spine mural on the Dragon Ball box, each book features a different character and arrangement on the back.

Plus, FUNimation had no issues putting out a complete GT set and 51 episodes is less than 64 episodes and a special.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:43 am

OutlawTorn wrote:Plus, FUNimation had no issues putting out a complete GT set and 51 episodes is less than 64 episodes and a special.
That's different. The Dragon Boxes are a more premium product aimed at a more niche audience, therefore having a slightly higher than normal price point, whereas the GT complete series box is a repackaging of the green bricks, which are a more mainstream release, not to mention they're basically a rehash of the old 2003-2005 singles source-wise.
-Joey

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:28 am

True, but it illustrates FUNimation isn't opposed to releasing that many episodes in a single set. Yes, a Dragon Box release would be more expensive, but I would think people would be willing to pay, say... $60 for three boxes ($180 total) than $40 for five ($200 total). I'm just pulling numbers from nowhere as I have no idea what the actual retail prices would be.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Any word on when the DragonBall Dragon Boxes will materialize?
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Gokuden wrote:Any word on when the DragonBall Dragon Boxes will materialize?
If there is, it will be reported and posted here.

Secondly, we don't have any sort of confirmation yet that it actually will indeed be a Dragon Box release.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:13 pm

I haven't checked on the status of the DBoxes since that survey got released ages ago, and I came back in hopes that Funi would be close to releasing them. And here I'm finding out that there haven't even been release dates or any kind of confirmation yet? I swear if Funi keeps this up I'm going to lose interest completely. I mean come on it's been almost a year since that survey. Looks like it's back to my cave.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

The survey never came with any kind of promise to act. Any assumptions to the contrary are entirely on us. While it's clear the survey was put out to gauge interest in something we don't know what the results were nor what exactly FUNimation was hoping to see or do with the information, let alone the many other issues that could exist behind the scenes. It's true that as time passes I've become increasingly doubtful of any future Dragon Boxes (DVD being less and less viable each day) but given the rumblings, we might hear something this year. Let's hope.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Funimation said that there would be a big Dragon Ball Z panel at Anime Expo in July this year. They also said the next release of the Dragon Ball anime would be in 2013. My money's on them announcing them then.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 pm

NessMudkip wrote: Funimation said that there would be a big Dragon Ball Z panel at Anime Expo in July this year. They also said the next release of the Dragon Ball anime would be in 2013. My money's on them announcing them then.
Source? :o
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 pm

ME IS ANGRY!

Terribly, what if FUNi doing? Good question. I'm raging behind my keyboard, I might accidentally turn into a Super Saiyan. :roll:
Come on Blu-ray DragonBall Levels!
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 am

CashmanX wrote:
NessMudkip wrote: Funimation said that there would be a big Dragon Ball Z panel at Anime Expo in July this year. They also said the next release of the Dragon Ball anime would be in 2013. My money's on them announcing them then.
Source? :o
Yes, what is your source, if you please.

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 am

What all is there left for them to release/re-release?