Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:What ever happened to the "Gohan Hair" thread. :?
It's still moderately active, last post was 2 days ago. Maybe it's best to keep all Gohan related debates there instead of clogging up this thread?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:14 am

What does everyone think the "Bingo Tournament" is like/about?
I feel like it's not going to be bingo in the sense of lottery-drawings and play cards, but something far wackier and dangerous than that; that "Bingo" is just a catchy name for it. Thoughts?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:19 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:That ultimately contradicts Goku's character which is to be able to break any limit.
The theme of Dragon Ball was always to get stronger & stronger, not break limits.
TheMightyOzaru wrote:I think you can expand your potential or dormant power, if you will, by training.
That's just your opinion, not a fact.
He literally said "I think", making it pretty obvious he was NOT stating it as a fact ._.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:28 am

See, what you all don't realize is that the new God form is actually going to be unlocked by the fusion of Goku and Vegeta

God, I would love to see the fanboys go nuts if that actually happened

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 am

Just had a thought; wouldn't it be the ultimate coincidence if Julian's Battle of Gods review was on episode 330?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just had a thought; wouldn't it be the ultimate coincidence if Julian's Battle of Gods review was on episode 330?
If they do a podcast episode every weekend in March, the one that coincides with the movie's nationwide release date will be episode 330. :shock:
I never noticed that before. X3

EDIT: The following reads kinda scavenger-hunt-like where you earn prizes, but I could be wrong.
http://www.asahi.com/and_M/information/ ... 10041.html
http://www.ponta.jp/c/dbz/
Also, wallpapers: http://www.ponta.jp/c/dbz/tenkaichi/wallpaper.htm

*Hopes the 4/12 one will have ssjg Goku on it, since it's after the movie's nationwide release date* >_>
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Master Turbo

Post by Master Turbo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:20 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote: A lot of you people on Kanzenshuu underpower Goku inconsistently, even putting him below Gotenks and claiming the gap in their powers is too massive. So how is it that you come to the conclusion that Goku got that much stronger in that short amount of time. Why is it so hard for people to believe that Goku being stronger than Gohan in the Buu saga to begin with is actually highly possible/likely. I mean Vegeta did confirm that the battle between Goku/Kid buu would determine the fate of the universe and concluded that Goku was #1 and the only one capable of going up against him. Nobody actually stated that Gohan surpassed Goku during that time. Even the Kai's who were obsessively impressed with Gohan's ki in the beginning of the saga, yet once Goku is restored to life, the kai's all rely on Goku to save the day and forget about Gohan not giving one mention if he would be able to fight Kid buu like Goku did. Infact, Goku never even goes all out until the Kid buu fight.

The Japanese animated title of the episode when Buu is killed is even called : Son Goku is the strongest afterall!"
Gohan and co. were all dead at the time when Vegeta made those statements... I don't think an episode title is proof of anything either.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:44 am

Master Turbo wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote: A lot of you people on Kanzenshuu underpower Goku inconsistently, even putting him below Gotenks and claiming the gap in their powers is too massive. So how is it that you come to the conclusion that Goku got that much stronger in that short amount of time. Why is it so hard for people to believe that Goku being stronger than Gohan in the Buu saga to begin with is actually highly possible/likely. I mean Vegeta did confirm that the battle between Goku/Kid buu would determine the fate of the universe and concluded that Goku was #1 and the only one capable of going up against him. Nobody actually stated that Gohan surpassed Goku during that time. Even the Kai's who were obsessively impressed with Gohan's ki in the beginning of the saga, yet once Goku is restored to life, the kai's all rely on Goku to save the day and forget about Gohan not giving one mention if he would be able to fight Kid buu like Goku did. Infact, Goku never even goes all out until the Kid buu fight.

The Japanese animated title of the episode when Buu is killed is even called : Son Goku is the strongest afterall!"
Gohan and co. were all dead at the time when Vegeta made those statements... I don't think an episode title is proof of anything either.
The title is just saying that Goku is stronger than Buu in the end, i.e. he wins the fight and defeats him.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 am

Can we please stop with the strength debates? Even as a kid, I always knew that in DB whoever the spotlight is currently on is the "strongest." When Piccolo was giving 17 a run for his money he was the strongest, when Gotenks was giving Boo that work, he was the strongest, and so on. Dragon Ball pretty much bases it's "strongest character" on whoever can beat the opponent that no one else can. So, since no one else can touch Mr. Cat Wabbit here there's really no point arguing as we all know Goku is going to become a SSJG in this movie; he'll undeniably be the strongest guy.

Anyway, moving to something more relevant, has it really hit anyone that this movie's gonna be over an hour long? Thinking about it as of late, Toriyama and Toei practically treating this movie as it's own arc. The other movies were just "Bad guys come, shit happens, fight till the end, good guys win," but this one will probably be "Bad guys come, shit happens, training, search for Dragon Balls or something, plot twists, fight till the end, good guys win," or similar.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 am

NeoKING wrote:Can we please stop with the strength debates? Even as a kid, I always knew that in DB whoever the spotlight is currently on is the "strongest." When Piccolo was giving 17 a run for his money he was the strongest, when Gotenks was giving Boo that work, he was the strongest, and so on. Dragon Ball pretty much bases it's "strongest character" on whoever can beat the opponent that no one else can. So, since no one else can touch Mr. Cat Wabbit here there's really no point arguing as we all know Goku is going to become a SSJG in this movie; he'll undeniably be the strongest guy.

Anyway, moving to something more relevant, has it really hit anyone that this movie's gonna be over an hour long? Thinking about it as of late, Toriyama and Toei practically treating this movie as it's own arc. The other movies were just "Bad guys come, shit happens, fight till the end, good guys win," but this one will probably be "Bad guys come, shit happens, training, search for Dragon Balls or something, plot twists, fight till the end, good guys win," or similar.
It has hit me and it's one of the main reasons I'm so excited. It's like getting a new mini arc... it's the equivalent in length to something like the Other World Tournament or Garlic Jr sagas (even though they're filler)... I think it is around 4 episodes or so in length. Plenty could happen in 4 episodes. Of course if this were actually a new arc 4 episodes would just be one of those fights... so if Goku fights, then I guess the whole gang, then vegeta... then goku again... add in all the in-between action if this were a real arc it'd be like 50 episodes long or something haha.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:39 am

NeoKING wrote:Anyway, moving to something more relevant, has it really hit anyone that this movie's gonna be over an hour long?
Hate to sound like an ass, but from the moment the movie was announced I knew it would be longer than the others; simply because of the fact that it wasn't part of one of those Toei Anime Fairs. :P

Anyway, I hate to re-post things but it kinda got buried in the strength & Gohan discussions. :roll:
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/movie/2013_d ... max/<<<<Is there anything interesting in here? From what I can tell, it's mostly talking about the IMAX technology but I just wanna make sure. :wink:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:54 am

does it look like Vegeta asked the dragon to grant him the ability to go ssj3 ? cause it looks like he is powering up to it at the same time the dragon is summoned
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:13 am

I just remembered time-zone-wise, with Japan 12hrs ahead, technically EST means only a 10 day wait until huge spoilers appear. O_O
Considering how long I feel like it's been since last July, that fact is mind-blowing.
10 days left.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 am

Chuquita wrote:I just remembered time-zone-wise, with Japan 12hrs ahead, technically EST means only a 10 day wait until huge spoilers appear. O_O
Considering how long I feel like it's been since last July, that fact is mind-blowing.
10 days left.
Which brings up the "should there be a spoilers thread" thread. And will people follow it :| lol

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 am

Vegeta wishing for Super Saiyan 3 would be weird... not only for that to even be possible, but he's not the one summoning Shenron. He's up the back there, Goku's the closest to Shenron.

Although it did make me think about that theory of the original SSG possessing someone, and maybe once they wish for his spirit or whatever he possesses Vegeta?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
"should there be a spoilers thread"
that's a good idea

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 am

I'd follow a spoilers thread if there is one. I'm being driven purely by curiosity, I have no expectations of this being enjoyable so I won't be avoiding spoilers. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:24 am

Saiga wrote:I have no expectations of this being enjoyable
why ???

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:32 am

sintzu wrote:
why ???
It's shaping up to look like one of those movies where Goku has to be the best at the expense of everybody else, and I really dislike the idea of Super Saiyan God. Seems way too much like something out of a fanfic. There's also the minor inconsistencies in this movie which bother me, although at least they fixed the one with Gohan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 am

Saiga wrote:
sintzu wrote:
why ???
It's shaping up to look like one of those movies where Goku has to be the best at the expense of everybody else, and I really dislike the idea of Super Saiyan God. Seems way too much like something out of a fanfic. There's also the minor inconsistencies in this movie which bother me, although at least they fixed the one with Gohan.
i agree about the ssjg name but the form itself could look really good with good moves

what are the other inconsistencies your talking about ?