Funi's discs regions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kevin449

Funi's discs regions

Post by kevin449 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:11 pm

Why does funimations discs have regions set for 1,2 and 4 if there only supposed to distribute them only in the US and Canada? Madman releases there stuff in australia and Toei releases there own version on japan?
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:22 pm

Region 2 is for europe. I was under the impression that they had worldwide distribution rights, excluding asia, so that's why they could do what they do.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Funi's discs regions

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:09 pm

kevin449 wrote:Why does funimations discs have regions set for 1,2 and 4 if there only supposed to distribute them only in the US and Canada? Madman releases there stuff in australia and Toei releases there own version on japan?
Last warning. Please re-read the forum rules. There's absolutely no excuse for not capitalizing country names, mixing up "there"/"their", using entirely wrong words, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:09 pm

I think it's pretty cool that FUNi multi-regions their DVD releases of DB/Z/GT. Especially considering fans in Australia got royally screwed with the Ginyu - Great Saiyaman DVDs. Also, those outside North America who have to wait till summer for Fusion Reborn can simply enough import it without worries of having a regionless player (though those with a region 3 player won't be able to play it).
14 years later

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:19 am

Madman releases the DVD's in Australia because US uses NTSC and Australian uses PAL. That is why. The region 2 was mainly for the UK I believe, although before the DragonBox sets, many Japanese imported our American DVD's.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:39 am

SonGokuGT wrote:Madman releases the DVD's in Australia because US uses NTSC and Australian uses PAL. That is why. The region 2 was mainly for the UK I believe, although before the DragonBox sets, many Japanese imported our American DVD's.
From what I could tell, it wasn't "many" that imported them, but some did, as you'd see discs on yahoo! auctions.

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:59 am

FUNimation don't have UK rights we have the 'pleasure' of the Warner Versions. I assume it's an oddity of their contract that they are not allowed to put region 3 on otherwise it'd be easier to make them region '0'.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:18 am

I checked in Wikipedia and found out that region 4 is also for Mexico,The Carribean and South America. Still its odd since there are diferent right holders on those countries. It's good for them and the japanese who ordered from Funimation but it's bad for us that have nothing but Funimation. Let's face facts: those that have region 4 and NTSC can import from Funimation, Japan can buy either the dragonbox or Funi's discs but we in the US can only buy funi's discs no questions aks. And, VegettoEX sorry for my faults(kinda got lazy :? ).
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:48 pm

Actually, quite a few Americans (on this board) have imported Japanese DVD's online. The Japanese probably have to go through as much hassle to watch our DVD's as we have to go through for theirs - which isn't really that much thanks to the internet.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:04 pm

kevin449 wrote:I checked in Wikipedia and found out that region 4 is also for Mexico,The Carribean and South America. Still its odd since there are diferent right holders on those countries. It's good for them and the japanese who ordered from Funimation but it's bad for us that have nothing but Funimation. Let's face facts: those that have region 4 and NTSC can import from Funimation, Japan can buy either the dragonbox or Funi's discs but we in the US can only buy funi's discs no questions aks. And, VegettoEX sorry for my faults(kinda got lazy :? ).
All you need to do is change the code on your DVD player or get a region free one.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."