Which DBZ2 to buy…?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaqibSaab

Which DBZ2 to buy…?

Post by SaqibSaab » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:29 am

I've had a recent "respark" in my DragonBall interest lately, especially with the release of DragonBall Z 2 V. I've played "DragonBall Z: Budokai" a little less than a year ago and was somewhat impressed. However to me, DBZ Legends and those old school Super Famicom titles (Hyper Dimension was intense) come to mind and without original seiyuu, I just can't do DragonBall, I'm sorry. Which leaves me with some things I need to find out before I make a purchase. At one point I was about to buy the Japanese version of DragonBall Z for Playstation 2. This point in time was when there was news of "Budokai 2". Seeing as to how it got a 7.4 from IGN (which is good for a DBZ game in my opinion) I'm very interested in grabbing a Japanese version for my modded PS2. After all, as IGN gave it a 7.5 for Sound and said Musically DBZ2 is a champion over its predecessor and boasts more voices, funnier dialogue, and crisper audio. Still no Japanese language track, though.

So before asking an already asked question, I did my homework and all I can find is that for the first Budokai game, there were three worldwide "versions" in respect to the languages. There's the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) release with the original seiyuu without subtitles. There's the US adaptation with FUNimation's voice-overs, and the UK market release that has the Japanese seiyuu with English subtitles. So the question I have is, is it the same for DragonBall Z 2? I know that the V-Jump add-on or whatever just came out, so maybe all the details are a little unclear.

- Is there a UK release with Japanese voices and English subtitles?
- If anyone has played the Japanese version, how much Japanese is in it and how much does it affect the game play?
- Why in God's name is there no Japanese track on "Budokai 2", dammit?!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

- Saqib Shafi

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:12 pm

Th EU release of B2 is not with Japanese voices, but with the FUNi voices.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:30 pm

Which is quite odd actually, since out of DB, DBZ, and DBGT, we only have the "new" FUNi voices for about 40 episodes.

SaqibSaab

Post by SaqibSaab » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:56 pm

Noooooooo. Damn, that sucks, that've been NICE is UK version was subbed. Anyone been able to check out the Japanese version?

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:48 am

Though I prefer the Japanese voices myself, I've heard that the UK subs on the first Budokai were less than accurate at some points. Some seemed really deplorable, actually. It's reasonable to believe if Budokai 2 had been subbed again in for a European release, it would have been of the same quality. That being said, if you can't possibly bear the Funimation voices (I know, it's hard) and there happens to be Japanese domestic release that uses it's own voice audio, take comfort in knowing that you really aren't missing out on that much w/o subtitles.