Chris Sabat announces Buu saga licensed by Funimation

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fennekin
Not Banned

Re: Chris Sabat announces Buu saga licensed by Funimation

Post by Fennekin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 am

Do we have video confirmation on Sabat talking about the Buu Saga yet?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Fennekin wrote:Do we have video confirmation on Sabat talking about the Buu Saga yet?
Go back to the previous page.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Post by seansmith9322 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 pm

I personally like Kai. For someone who has already saw every episode and all of the fillers, cutting them out and getting straight to the action is not a problem with me. And also I like the Buu saga. mainly because from when I was a kid that is the Saga I remember the most. But I can totally see where people come from where they say its too long. But since this saga is only supposed to be 66 episodes on kai (still quite lengthy) I can see Funimation making it three seasons and trying to get as much money as possible out of it.
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Oh man.. I hope they get BOG first before Buu! Imagine that wait...

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 am

It would not surprise me to see BOG air on Nick-toons after the Boo arc but that's just my guess.
Glad to hear some confirmation on this^^

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:03 am

If they can't get some of the voices to return here a some ideas I have for recasts.

Fat Buu: Greg Ayers of corse.

Gohan: Robert McCollum. Though it would be cool if Dameon Clarke could return.

Babidi: Bill Townsley.

Videl: Cherami Leigh.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:16 am

Hebert was Gohan in the Buu Saga though. Clarke only did an older Gohan in the History of Trunks Special I thought.
He did alright from what I remember but I don't see why they'd have him be Gohan.

Does Dabura's voice actor still work for Funi? He was the best.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 am

Nikkolas wrote:Does Dabura's voice actor still work for Funi? He was the best.
He hasn't done anything other than DBZ and Blue Gender, so it's not really known.

If he's been coming back for the games, he's probably gonna come back for Kai.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:03 am

Isn't Hebert still playing Ox King in Kai? He's almost definitely going to continue playing Gohan. I don't have anyone in mind I'd like to see replace him if it were to come to that. Maybe keep Colleen Cllinkenbeard just so Z dub fans lose their shit.

If they can't get the original actor for Babidi back, I'd like at least one Jouji Yanami character to carry over in the dub, so let Doc Morgan have a swing at that one.

I don't expect Goten, Trunks, or Videl to be recast; both actresses maintain strong relationships with FUNimation. Though after hearing Laura Bailey's natural speaking voice in so many other roles, I think she'd be a great Videl.

According to [shudder] DB Wikia, Rick Robertson is still Dabra in Raging Blast 2, but the original FUNimation cast made it to the first Raging Blast and look what happened after that, so who knows.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 am

Laura Bailey is in too many things... She's Harribel, Mashiro AND Hiyori. Who approved that one.
I do not want my Hiyori sounding like friggin' Kid Trunks.

Maybe a recast of the twerps would make me like them more.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 am

She's not Hiyori... at least, not during the beginning of the Arrancar arc. I haven't watched the dub in awhile, did she take on that role?

Uhm, Dragon Ball. A good episode count for the Buu arc is about 30 episodes, but you'll probably have to account for a lot of filler that can't be cut.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 am

Another idea I have for Fat Buu is Chris Cason using something similar to his Gluttony voice.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 am

Yeah she took over the role during The Past/Turn Back the Pendulum Arc. I liked Hiyori's original dub voice but a lot of side-characters got replaced. Hebert took over for Tousen in addition to Aizen and that was most unfortunate considering he took over just for Tousen's final handful of episodes.

Anyway, I've been wondering, Fat Buu talks normal in the Japanese version doesn't he? So Kai Fat Buu will not be saying things like "ME EAT YOU UP"? That should be interesting.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 am

Didn't Kei17 confirm that Fat Buu still speaks with somewhat broken speech in the Japanese version it's just that it doesn't show in Steve Simons subs?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:34 am

Steve's subtitles do a pretty damn good job of showing nuances in the characters speech.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:It would not surprise me to see BOG air on Nick-toons after the Boo arc but that's just my guess.
Glad to hear some confirmation on this^^
A Dragon Ball film air on a TV broadcast channel? FOX and FUNimation can make much more money off of it by selling it on Blu-ray, DVD, Ultra Violet (Cloud Streaming), Digital (PC) and whatever they can think of so maybe a few years after.

I really want Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods on Blu-ray but "Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Buu Collection"? I'll have to wait and see if it doesn't look crap in HD, as for the soundtrack since there's no more Kikuchi replacement music (thank god!) that's a relief, so just focused on the amount of episodes it'll have and picture quality.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 pm

I'd really like Colleen Clinkenbeard to voice Gohan in the Boo Arc, actually.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:49 pm

As far as recasts go, the only person that I actually WANT to be recast is Goten. I think Colleen Clinkenbeard should play him so that way the same actress plays all of the young Son family (besides Chi-Chi, of course). It still bothers me to this day that they didn't have Stephanie Nadolny play Goten after she played Kid Goku AND Kid Gohan. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Kara Edwards as Videl, but I like having that consistency between the Son family. I wouldn't mind seeing Fat Boo getting a recast, however. I don't dislike his Funi voice, but I can see why some don't like it so a recast wouldn't bother me. Besides them, I really can't think of anyone else I'd like to see recast. I probably wouldn't mind if they did, though; they've generally made good choices with their recasts. The only recast I actually didn't like so much was #18's. But hey, with a cast as big as Dragonball you can't expect to get every single actor to return for a redub after ten years.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:25 pm

batistabus wrote:I'd really like Colleen Clinkenbeard to voice Gohan in the Boo Arc, actually.
It would be interesting, in fact I've always wondered how she would handle Adult Goku but I don't think it would really be necessary IF it even worked. And if it did happen A LOT of people would be angry, WAAAAAAAY more then any of the other recasts.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:06 pm

As a fan of Nadolny's Kid Goku, hearing other people's opinions and the search function, I've read a ton of topics on here about Goku's various VAs. There doesn't seem like there will ever be a consensus on whether or not a woman should voice Adult Goku. I mean, women can portray men well, even in dubs, but they tend to voice the bishounen types. Goku is far from feminine.

But really...for me, it just doesn't work and it has nothing to do with a woman voicing Goku. It has to do with the fact young Goku and adult Goku might as well be different characters. I don't know where people hear Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku (video games maybe?) but I don't think she could pull it off. She already keeps mixing her Gohan and her Luffy. Could she really pull off a substantially different voice for an older Goku?