Dragon Ball is Streaming on Hulu!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball is Streaming on Hulu!

Post by chaosyoshimage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:35 am

The first five episodes of both the original and the dub are now on the streaming service. Previously, they had only been rotating episodes of Z (They have the first 29 right now) and linking Nicktoons uploads of things. I've been really wanting to re-watch the series so I'm pretty excited about this. http://www.hulu.com/dragon-ball

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball is Streaming on Hulu!

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:09 am

Awesome! I might watch them maybe. I dunno actually... The picture is way too zoomed in. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 am

Yay!

Though I have a question, how often do they update with more episodes? o.o

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 am

I think Z has been updating at about five a week for awhile as it cycles through the series. When they were first streaming it, it was only an episode a week though.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Awesome! I might watch them maybe. I dunno actually... The picture is way too zoomed in. :/
What? Is it further zoomed in from the season sets, or are you criticizing the zooming on aforementioned sets? I can't watch it because it keeps crashing my Flash for some reason (I might need to update, but... I kinda can't right now).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm assuming it's zoomed in the same as in the "Season" Sets, but I don't own them, so I don't now for sure. All I know is that it's really obnoxious for someone who owns the "Saga" Sets. Though, the Saga of Goku being English-dub-only, I'm gonna watch the first 13 episodes on Hulu.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm

They're up to episode 8 on the original, but the dub is still at 5. Not sure if this is going to be one of those cases where they just have the first couple of episodes of the dub up, but run the whole series subbed. I figured Funimation would handle it more like they handle Dragon Ball Z as opposed to the rest of their shows.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Is it in 1080p? Have they been working on this HD remaster behind our backs?
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:08 pm

I find it lovely how they are using Japanese title cards for the subtitled version.
So mondo lame.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:I find it lovely how they are using Japanese title cards for the subtitled version.
I figured these would be ripped from the season sets. I can't watch, so can anyone post some screenshots if it looks any different?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I think what FUNimation did was they took their two masters (unedited remastered footage and the edited with English titles cards footage) and created digital files that could fit on Hulu from there. I seriously doubt they took one of their copies of the blue bricks off a shelf, ripped it, then put it on Hulu.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I seriously doubt they took one of their copies of the blue bricks off a shelf, ripped it, then put it on Hulu.
That's what they did with their orange brick footage for Hulu though isn't it?

Anyway, is the grain and stuff intact in the Hulu footage?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:57 pm

The Japanese stream has the original title cards, which the season sets do not. It's not unlikely that they would have a DVD-size copy of the unedited footage available anyway, though. Here is a clip of from the subtitled stream.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The Japanese stream has the original title cards, which the season sets do not.
Talking about the Z sets or the DB sets? I know the latter doesn't, like I mentioned, but the orange bricks did have the Japanese titles cards.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:The Japanese stream has the original title cards, which the season sets do not.
Talking about the Z sets or the DB sets? I know the latter doesn't, like I mentioned, but the orange bricks did have the Japanese titles cards.
The latter, the latter. It's possible they did have a DVD size copy lying around, though.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Also, thanks for that clip. Those colors seem really red, which I don't recall the season set footage being. I'll pull out my set later and take some comparison screenshots.

IIMaxII
Beyond Newbie

Post by IIMaxII » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Is the Z on hulu from the season sets?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:00 pm

IIMaxII wrote:Is the Z on hulu from the season sets?
Correct, they use those wonderful sets.

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Decided to start watching the original DB (subbed) on Hulu. (of non-Z anime I've only got the Piccolo arcs) Only one ep in so far, but definitely going to continue. With the original DB I'm more familiar with Viz's manga and Funi's dub. Happy I chose the subs; it's different than Viz's. Tiny Goku is fun and occasionally random: "Did a snake bite your wiener?" X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!