Anybody else picking up the Cell Games Starter set?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ramenman

Anybody else picking up the Cell Games Starter set?

Post by Ramenman » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:29 am

I just pre-ordered it at DeepDiscountDVD.com. For $25 with free shipping, it seems like a good deal. And apparently, the next Cell Games disc is $15 there...$15! Now this is a box set deal I can keep up with (unlike RahXephon...-_-).

Well, discuss. 8)
"It's 3am in Wisconsin. I want a camel. Go get me it."
"Prince...it's 3am in Wisconsin. It's the middle of January. You want a camel. That is neither physically or psychologically possible.”

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:51 pm

Ah yes, anime is soo expensive. What's a poor student who lives on anime and manga to do? :cry:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:04 pm

I'll probably pick them up as we get closer to SSJ2 Gohan... I don't care for the filler stuff before hand (with T'ao Paipai and Gohan's birthday; I mean, I like it... but not enough to have it on DVD. I don't own it fansubbed, either, so I feel no obligation to purchase it :P).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:24 pm

I sold my previous copy of Ultimatum just so I could preorder this. I'm hoping FUNimation will put out more empty boxes for the other sagas. I've been buying all the individual volumes for the past three years or so, and I think it would be a cool thing for anyone like me who didn't wait until the recent boxsets.

I've emailed Zstore about empty boxes at least once, and they said they will have them, eventually. Maybe I should bug them some more...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:51 pm

I don't care for the filler stuff before hand (with T'ao Paipai
The reason why I read the manga instead of watching the anime was because I hated almost all the filler stuff. I'll admit though, I am now intrigued at hearing that Tao Paipai is in the Cell Saga. Details please! :shock:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:24 pm

Isn't Taopaipai in two Cell filler episodes? There's the one where he gives Gokuu some puzzles and tries to run off with his Dragon Balls, and I think another where he's terrorizing a village and has to deal with Gohan.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:34 pm

Lol @ the first one. That' so like Goku.

"You're nowhere near my strength now, Tao Paipai, so don't even bother trying to steal the Drag- PUZZLES!!!!"

"Where'd you get the puzzle, dad? And where'd you put the Dragonballs?"

"The Dragonwha? Oh, for Kami's sake!"

"FUCK, DAD! I can't leave you with the Dragonballs for two minutes and you- and- and why are you smacking the table?!"

"I'm not! I'm making the puzzle pieces fit!"

"No wonder mom makes me study so damn much. She's probably worried I got my brains from your side of the family."

"You won't beat me, puzzle! KA ME...!!"

What REALLY goes on at the Son family household. :mrgreen:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:13 pm

The idea of Goku working on a puzzle is funny enough, as it is... but when it's T'ao Paipai making him DO the puzzle, it's even funnier.

Maybe I do want it on DVD, now...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:03 pm

Actually, it is quite a humourous episode. I remember that T'ao Paipai tells him if he can solve the puzzles he'll give him the dragonballs. So poor Goku starts trying to solve them while T'ao of course, sneaks off. So he and the gang who he is working for think they've gotten away. When Goku suddenly shows up,and also(make a note of this Dayspring), throws down the puzzles all solved perfectly! :P You should see T'ao and the other guys' faces! :lol: They just let him take the dragonballs! :lol: As for the encounter Gohan has with T'ao Paipai, once he finds out whose son he is, he runs away! :lol: I'm sure T'ao is now in a mental hospital by now hugging his knees, rocking back and forth, and constantly muttering, "Just want to get away from him, away from him." Actually, I think Freeza, Pilaf,and "Ginyu-frog" are patients there too.

Ramenman

Post by Ramenman » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:10 pm

Yea, I got a kick out of the Tao Pai Pai episodes. Actually I just get a kick out of Tao Pai Pai himself...when a guy can kill someone with his tounge, you know you don't want to screw around with him.
Actually, I think Freeza, Pilaf,and "Ginyu-frog" are patients there too.
Heh...I could just picture the poor bastard in a rocking chair muttering incoherently to himself, with the "Kill You!" on his back replaced with "Kill Me!" :lol:
"It's 3am in Wisconsin. I want a camel. Go get me it."
"Prince...it's 3am in Wisconsin. It's the middle of January. You want a camel. That is neither physically or psychologically possible.”

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:31 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:I'm sure T'ao is now in a mental hospital by now hugging his knees, rocking back and forth, and constantly muttering, "Just want to get away from him, away from him." Actually, I think Freeza, Pilaf,and "Ginyu-frog" are patients there too.
Hehe, a Dragon Ball version of Arkham Asylum?

I like those Taopaipai filler episodes. Too bad Pilaf never made an appearance in DBZ like that. :(

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:38 pm

I can't wait until the Cell Games boxed set is available. And I know some people are going to say I'm crazy, or DB obsessed (btw, it's both) but I'm looking forward to the Great Saiyaman saga.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:19 pm

When "Sacrifice" and "Nightmare's End" come out on DVD, I'm definately picking those up as soon as possiblie. I have a feeling they'll be a hot seller.

admin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by admin » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:28 pm

I got quite the collection of DBZ DVDs so I'm sure I'll be picking these up sooner or later when my money is right, especially since this saga is one of the best I'll say; story-wise, emotion-wise, everything is brilliantly done.
[size=200][b][color=red]TKE[/color] [color=gray]4[/color] [color=red]LIFE[/color][/size][/b]