Kenji Utsumi, passed at 75...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Kenji Utsumi, passed at 75...

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:25 am

Unfortunately, another great Seiyuu has passed on.

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/entertainments ... 011-n1.htm

I found out via Kei17 mentioning it on Twitter and checked it out for myself.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kenji Utsumi, passed at 75...

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:27 am

Wasn't he the announcer for the Tenkaichi Budokai? Which one, the first or second?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 am

ABED wrote:Wasn't he the announcer for the Tenkaichi Budokai? Which one, the first or second?
The first one, he was also Shen Long, Recoome, Commander Red, Mutaito and Senbei Norimaki (at least in terms of Dragon Ball).
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:58 am

And also the original Alex Luis Armstrong in FMA. Thankfully, it sounds like he lived a long and fruitful life. Still, may he rest in peace.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 am

Big bucket of win - he will be missed :)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

Aw man, that's sad. Just yesterday I was watching DBZ Episode #66 and I was thinking about how much I miss hearing his voice in Kai and the lastest line of games.

The new guy in Kai is probably the only 'new' voice I can't get used to. It's not that the other guy's bad, it's just when I see Recoome I expect to hear (more or less) Senbei Norimaki's voice.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 am

What a major loss. A hella-awesome talent. My favorite role of his: Coach Kamogawa from Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit... Raoh from Fist of the North Star as a close second.

He will be greatly missed,
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:36 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
ABED wrote:Wasn't he the announcer for the Tenkaichi Budokai? Which one, the first or second?
The first one, he was also Shen Long, Recoome, Commander Red and Senbei Norimaki (at least in terms of Dragon Ball).
To add to that list of notable roles outside of DB, he also played Daimaō (AKA the witch King) in Maho Tsukai Sally, Raoh and Kaioh in Fist of the North Star, as well as Tokugawa in Astro Boy, Kenji Utsumi's passing is truly a loss of some of the most amazing talent in the world of Japanese Seiyuu, RIP Utsumi-san you shall be missed.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:43 am

Oh, God no. :(
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:46 am

I really wanted to hear his Reacoom again in Kai. I curse the audio director.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:11 am

kei17 wrote:I really wanted to hear his Reacoom again in Kai. I curse the audio director.
I agree. Utsumi's range in that role was so superb it's hard not to hear his voice when ReaCoom says "Hi~!" or "Speed up!!" Don't even get me started on that charisma when ReaCoom would say "Vegeta-chan." :(

Now I have to tell my mom Coach Kamogawa passed away. Damn, I don't think I can take a recast for when Hajime no Ippo starts up another animated project.
She/Her

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

Wow, right after Discotek's Dr. Slump movie boxset was announced :(

Well, on the bright side, it's nice that he got to perform in Battle of Gods. If that was in fact his final performance, a DB reunion movie seems appropriate.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:What a major loss. A hella-awesome talent. My favorite role of his: Coach Kamogawa from Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit... Raoh from Fist of the North Star as a close second.

Oh dammit. Was he Raoh too? :(

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:30 am

sangofe wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:What a major loss. A hella-awesome talent. My favorite role of his: Coach Kamogawa from Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit... Raoh from Fist of the North Star as a close second.

Oh dammit. Was he Raoh too? :(
Yes. :( Here's a clip of Raou versus Shuuren, voiced by Wakamoto Norio. So much awesome the sky cracks.
She/Her

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am

There goes another one.

RIP Kenji Utsumi.

:(
-Joey

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Shen Long is dead? This is a sad day...

RIP Kenji Utsumi

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Rip

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:47 pm

His voice stylings were as those as passed down the Armstrong bloodline for centuries!

Farewell, Shenlong. You've ascended to the realm of dragons.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Damn... He was awesome as Norimaki Senbei... R.I.P.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Dewa sarabada... :(
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.