Kenji Utsumi, passed at 75...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kenji Utsumi, passed at 75...

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 pm

How was his Armstrong voice? (Only saw FMA on tv). Never saw Fist of the North Star, (Yes, I'm bad for not doing so) but liked his Shenron voice as well as some of the others. RIP.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Super Sonic wrote:How was his Armstrong voice? (Only saw FMA on tv). Never saw Fist of the North Star, (Yes, I'm bad for not doing so) but liked his Shenron voice as well as some of the others. RIP.
Friggin' hilarious and dignified, as to be expected. The entire cast for the second series was great. Humorously, Sasaki Seiji (who took over ReaCoom in 2009) voices his new friend in that clip.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 pm

He will be missed.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:10 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:Wow, right after Discotek's Dr. Slump movie boxset was announced :(
I know, right? :( I already feel like I'm going to get an even better feel for his talent with Senbei than I did with Shenron or Recoome (not saying he did bad for either of those, at all - just Senbei is more the kind of character I love, thus I'd get even more out of the performance), so it's sad to think he's gone now that I'll get to enjoy it.

Rest in peace, Mr. Utsumi. You lived a long, full life, and you'll be remembered by anime fans the world over forever more.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:38 pm

This is truly sad news.... May he rest in peace. :cry:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:03 pm

I am deeply saddened by this news... The ironic thing in my case is that I just recently finished rewatching the Red Ribbon Army Arc. We'll miss you, Utsumi-san.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: I know, right? :( I already feel like I'm going to get an even better feel for his talent with Senbei than I did with Shenron or Recoome (not saying he did bad for either of those, at all - just Senbei is more the kind of character I love, thus I'd get even more out of the performance), so it's sad to think he's gone now that I'll get to enjoy it.
From Senbei to Shenlong, it shows what a great range he had.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Buy those Discotek Dr. Slump DVDs and Viz's manga release as a sign of respect and tribute, people!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:19 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:Buy those Discotek Dr. Slump DVDs and Viz's manga release as a sign of respect and tribute, people!
Speaking of which, a couple previously out-of-print Dr. Slump volumes are now back in stock at RightStuf http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/ne ... To=Archive

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:Buy those Discotek Dr. Slump DVDs and Viz's manga release as a sign of respect and tribute, people!
I'm pretty sure volume 9's out of print. But there's still the digital release!
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm definitely hoping to pick up a few more of those Slump volumes when I get to do an RS order soon, since I still only have 1-3.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:28 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Fairly certain I saw recently that Viz was doing another print of certain mid-numbered Dr. Slump volumes, and #9 was specifically noted. I'd just keep an eye on all the retailer listings out there for it to pop up again.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Fairly certain I saw recently that Viz was doing another print of certain mid-numbered Dr. Slump volumes, and #9 was specifically noted. I'd just keep an eye on all the retailer listings out there for it to pop up again.
Well that's great to hear. I prefer physical manga, and I have volumes 1-8, so that's good news. Thanks for telling me! :)

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Guys, Vol 9 is listed in that link I posted above 8)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Bought all of Dr. Slump when it came out. Don't know if I'll get the Discotek movies. (Don't care for sub-only releases outside certain exceptions).

tysonwritesel

Post by tysonwritesel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:07 pm

R.I.P.
tysonwritesel, @Kanzenshuu member for 9 years, 2 months, 29 days! ***3-18-2004***