Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:35 am

The slipcover for the DVD's been changed, and to be honest, I liked the older design a lot more:

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:10 pm

The latin american dub studio confirmed BoG for september 29, this year. No word on voice actors.

Mexico getting a movie way before the US, I'm always bummed when it's the other way around :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Congats! Very cool you get a release so early. I live too far away or else I'd consider going to see it.
The lack of info on a U.S release makes me feel like there's probably some FOX/Funi/Toei issues going on.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 pm

Chuquita wrote:Congats! Very cool you get a release so early. I live too far away or else I'd consider going to see it.
The lack of info on a U.S release makes me feel like there's probably some FOX/Funi/Toei issues going on.
What else is new? :problem:

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:09 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:The slipcover for the DVD's been changed, and to be honest, I liked the older design a lot more:
I agree. I don't like that piece of art. It's a little awkward. Like, what is Goku doing? It looks to me like he's driving an invisible car. And now every time you see this image, that's what you'll think. I'm sorry, it's just how this kinda shit works.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:43 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:The slipcover for the DVD's been changed, and to be honest, I liked the older design a lot more:
I agree. I don't like that piece of art. It's a little awkward. Like, what is Goku doing? It looks to me like he's driving an invisible car. And now every time you see this image, that's what you'll think. I'm sorry, it's just how this kinda shit works.
Argh, what have you done? Can't un-see. :o

In terms of Funimation getting their sweaty little paws on this thing...I really hope they don't for at least another year, now that I emptied the bank for the Japanese release. :thumbup:

EDIT: Thought I'd throw-up the original slipcover again for comparison:
I honestly really liked this design. Nice, simple and very sleek

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:10 am

Funi better get their hands on it by the end of the year.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 am

Yeah, the old slipcover looks way better. Oh well, not like I was getting one anyway. :P

What are the odds that FUNi will change the cover to something different than the teaser poster?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:14 pm

We'll most likely see the movie in English-speaking countries by the holidays (most likely a limited theatrical run.) I wouldn't worry too much; but the longer it takes to get over here, the more it fades from the public's mind.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote: I agree. I don't like that piece of art. It's a little awkward. Like, what is Goku doing? It looks to me like he's driving an invisible car. And now every time you see this image, that's what you'll think. I'm sorry, it's just how this kinda shit works.
Oh damn it! I can't believe I never thought about that before. :P

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I can't unsee it either! Not only that, but I can imagine a basketball hoop just outside Sheron's view, and he's about to dunk that dragon ball.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 pm

WesMan23 wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I can't unsee it either! Not only that, but I can imagine a basketball hoop just outside Sheron's view, and he's about to dunk that dragon ball.
Damn you both. Now that's all I see.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:08 pm

I'd have to say I like the newer designs more than I did the originals. For one, the DVD is following the design of just about everything Battle of Gods-related (the movie booklet uses the same picture of Goku). While, I do not like those pictures of the gang, it's kind of nice to see them sticking with the images first released with the movie's announcement back in summer 2012. The Blu-ray also looks neat with that Super Saiyan God shot of Goku, even if it looks a bit out of place. I was kind of hoping for a Dragon Box GT-esque art with those shots of the characters taking the place of Goku's various forms. It could even be an updated shot of the GT box with it completely disregarding Super Saiyan 4. Either way, I'm really looking forward to the home release!

...But am I really looking forward to that steelbook case? The more and more I look at it, I want to cancel my preorder. It's so ugly.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 am

Maybe I should post this here:
Well, as we all know, Goku's Super Saiyan God form was basically just him skinnier with red hair. IMO, the form was too simple for its own good. It was just him ... skinnier. With red hair.

But I have an idea as to what the Super Saiyan God should have looked like ... its design should have been based off of Sun Wukong, you know the Monkey King! Goku was originally based off of Sun Wukong, so wouldn't be clever if the Super Saiyan God resembled Sun Wukong? Super Saiyan God ... Monkey God?

Would anyone be kind enough to draw it? I'd imagine it as looking Sun Wukong with more of Goku's facial features, hair and height.

And here's a picture of Sun Wukong and Goku together:

The world's greatest.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:09 am

Again, Gokukong already exists:
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:26 am

The extra DVD included in the limited edition has been confirmed to contain "Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!" as a bonus feature.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00D0Z2JT2
amazon wrote:●ボーナスディスク(予定)
DVD
ディスクタイプ:片面1層(予定)
音声:1.主音声:ステレオ
画面:16:9 LB
収録内容:
◆アフレコ取材 ◆「DRAGONBALL オッス! 帰ってきた孫悟空と仲間たち」 ◆インタビュー集 ◆初日舞台挨拶

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:36 am

That's pretty cool. X3
The Jump 08 special's my favorite of the 3 recent "oneshots".
Last edited by Chuquita on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:36 am

kei17 wrote:The extra DVD included in the limited edition has been confirmed to contain "Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!" as a bonus feature.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00D0Z2JT2
amazon wrote:●ボーナスディスク(予定)
DVD
ディスクタイプ:片面1層(予定)
音声:1.主音声:ステレオ
画面:16:9 LB
収録内容:
◆アフレコ取材 ◆「DRAGONBALL オッス! 帰ってきた孫悟空と仲間たち」 ◆インタビュー集 ◆初日舞台挨拶
Badass!! I can't believe that I'm getting this.

So freakin' excited! :D

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:49 am

Ohhhhh! That's awesome! I wonder if that's in the negotiations for the international DVD releases as well!

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 am

Oh shit! That's amazing! The JSATS is my favourite special by far. :D