Is it "Boo" or "Buu"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is it "Boo" or "Buu"?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:45 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:It's similar to the whole Blooma, Bulma thing. While one is the direct pun the other is the Romanization.
Well, strictly speaking, the romanization is "Buruma". "Blooma" and "Bulma" are both attempts at anglicizing the name, one of which retains the pun, and the other that doesn't.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:It's similar to the whole Blooma, Bulma thing. While one is the direct pun the other is the Romanization.
Well, strictly speaking, the romanization is "Buruma". "Blooma" and "Bulma" are both attempts at anglicizing the name, one of which retains the pun, and the other that doesn't.
Well, one of my reasons for using "Bulma" is because of her first outfit:

I mean... I guess there is the "Kulilin" hat, but that's just way too ridiculous. "Kuririn" is bad enough...
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanos wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Well, one of my reasons for using "Bulma" is because of her first outfit:

I mean... I guess there is the "Kulilin" hat, but that's just way too ridiculous. "Kuririn" is bad enough...
The thing with romanizations that are featured in art is that they may not always be accurate. Not every manga artist is well-versed in English, and even if some are, I don't think Toriyama is one of them. I've always just assumed that name romanizations that miss the pun (Bulma, Kulilin) are the result of mistakes in the romanization. I believe in Movie 9, there is even a news photographer with an armband that spells "Daily" as "Dayley."
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

tysonwritesel

Post by tysonwritesel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:10 am

Both.
tysonwritesel, @Kanzenshuu member for 9 years, 2 months, 29 days! ***3-18-2004***

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:02 am

Ryuman wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Oh, damn it. I never realized the name was tweaked from ブー to ブウ. Now I might have to change my use. >_<
Yeah, I was thinking of going with Boo at one point, bit I searched and found out this fact. Whether Toriyama meant for the difference or not doesn't really matter in my opinion. It is what it is.
Ah, bugger. I much prefer Boo, but now I feel that it's not as accurate as Buu is.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:11 am

I have Buu and Bulma...
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88