The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Re: The mysteries that still surround HG's dub of DB

Post by atm5508 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 am

Nice find superrayman3!

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Yeah, good find. Now all the trivia buffs out there will know the complete list. If I remember correctly, Tommy is the one that provided the list, so even he didn't know who Myron Mensah was.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:08 pm

DerekPadula wrote:Yeah, good find. Now all the trivia buffs out there will know the complete list.
Thanks Derek i'm glad I was able to fill in the remaining gap in the VA cast list, now we can say another interesting mystery about the HG dub has been solved ;).
DerekPadula wrote:If I remember correctly, Tommy is the one that provided the list, so even he didn't know who Myron Mensah was.
Well considering the HG dub was probably worked on before Tommy started working with Harmony Gold, and the fact that Robert Alexrod didn't seem to use the Myron Mensah name a whole lot (in fact the HG dub seems be one of the only times he's actually credited under that name although I could be wrong) it's pretty understandable why Tommy might not have known who Myron Mensah was.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Hey found http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... ngamXVc17M it's a clip from episode 8 of the Spanish dub of Dragon Ball (zero y el dragon magico unless the name was changed back to dragon ball for the show) where Leena is trying to talk Mao Mao to posing as her for Master Roshi, what's interesting in this clip is all SFX are present without any noticable editing the best example is when Master Roshi hits his cane on the ground while talking the original SFX is left intact instead of just having just a voice overlapping the scene like they did in the earlier Zero Y el Dragon Magico movie, from this I assume that since from what I heard the original ME/SFX track is present that Harmony Gold stoped dubbing before episode 8.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Hey I have an update, I just managed to find episodes 2-4 of the Zero Y el Dragon Magico dub, and after watching and checking the audio for the weird audio anomalies that plague the movie dub (namely the poor SFX/synth music and abrupt stops in the original ME/SFX) I can safely say that Harmony Gold did at least the first 4 episodes of the series I can't find the dub for episode's 5-7 so I still don't know when exactly HG stopped but this should help narrow down the possibilities.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Great job, superrayman3.

I also have an update. Not about the Harmony Gold Dub, but about Kei17's higher quality Japanese audio of DBZ on Betamax.

I finally got someone at FUNimation who gives a damn. She's in the licensing department and said they are willing to accept Kei17's tapes if he wants to send them. They are not committing in any way, shape or form to doing anything with those tapes, and there are a lot of legalities involved with TOEI if they want to, but they'll be able to store them in a proper location where they won't degrade as quickly.

I sent Kei17 the address, so it's up to him now. I'll continue to help wherever I can.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:44 pm

DerekPadula wrote:Great job, superrayman3.

I also have an update. Not about the Harmony Gold Dub, but about Kei17's higher quality Japanese audio of DBZ on Betamax.

I finally got someone at FUNimation who gives a damn. She's in the licensing department and said they are willing to accept Kei17's tapes if he wants to send them. They are not committing in any way, shape or form to doing anything with those tapes, and there are a lot of legalities involved with TOEI if they want to, but they'll be able to store them in a proper location where they won't degrade as quickly.

I sent Kei17 the address, so it's up to him now. I'll continue to help wherever I can.
Thanks for the update Derek even though it's not Harmony gold related it's still interesting nonetheless and I hope that something good can come of it in the future, heck who knows if FUNimation can actually manage to get it through Toei's thick head that there's a better audio source for the DB/Z/GT series out there and they should be using it for future releases I'm all for it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Sorry for necroposting, but it's better than creating a whole new thread just for a small find. I was watching episode 3 of Zero y el dragón and noticed that a censored scene seemed to be crossfaded in 29.97fps, which means that it was done with some kind of videotape editing equipment. Probably, they made the edited videotape masters of the first five episodes and disposed of the original materials such as films and ME tapes after that, which forced the Mexican dubbing company to mute whole audio every time when characters speak and throw in some generic music in such moments rather than using the MEs. They didn't edit episode 6 onwards, so they must have provided Mexico with films and MEs since then, and the dub became uncensored.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 pm

kei17 wrote:Sorry for necroposting, but it's better than creating a whole new thread just for a small find. I was watching episode 3 of Zero y el dragón and noticed that a censored scene seemed to be crossfaded in 29.97fps, which means that it was done with some kind of videotape editing equipment. Probably, they made the edited videotape masters of the first five episodes and disposed of the original materials such as films and ME tapes after that, which forced the Mexican dubbing company to mute whole audio every time when characters speak and throw in some generic music in such moments rather than using the MEs. They didn't edit episode 6 onwards, so they must have provided Mexico with films and MEs since then, and the dub became uncensored.
If you think about it, in a way, if Harmony Gold really did trash the ME/SFX after they finished dubbing those episodes, that would provide us with a reasonable and plausible explanation as to why the first few episodes of Zero y el Dragon Magico have so many audio oddities in them while the later episodes use the original ME/SFX tracks, interesting find kei you may have solved the mystery as to why there are so many audio oddities in Zero y el Dragon Magico.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Kei saves the world; finally someone finds high quality DB audio that doesn't make your ears bleed.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:32 pm

I meant to post about this a while back; I haven't been able to do any more work on remastering the film lately because, well, uh, the game I'm staff on got crowdfunded. This is unfortunately like working two full-time jobs for me, since I still have a day job. I've also gotten a lot of PMs about color correction as well, and I apologize if I haven't been able to answer in a timely manner or be extremely helpful on that front.

I don't have time to read this whole thread, but at the time I left this, we had secured enough versions of the HG movie dub to have a 99% complete audio track for the movie I think. Derek should have all the sources I have, too. I'm hoping I'll have time to work on this more around August since I would like to complete it.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Gokuden wrote:Kei saves the world; finally someone finds high quality DB audio that doesn't make your ears bleed.
Weelll... Nothing's set in stone yet. And frankly, I don't think I'd send the tapes over mail like that. Heck, if I'd have to give them to FUNimation, I'd taken a flight to meet up with them personally. The mail services can't be trusted in a case like this.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:00 am

I'm pretty sure if Kei sent anything it would be digital at this point.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:34 pm

I think my last chance at this point is to reach out to Christopher Sabat directly. I have his email and phone, but he's at Anime Expo right now, so I'll wait until that's over. Plus they may make a Dragon Ball related announcement there that I can use as leverage to deliver the high quality Japanese audio. We'll see.

If that doesn't work, then heck, maybe try and reach out to the Mexican dubbing company? Or Canadian? Somebody out there must want them.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Hello dragon ball fans if it someone interested i managed to find the dragon ball movie 1 and dragon ball movie 3 in Harmony gold dub version

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:01 am

I'm not interested in the tapes, but someone else may be. Good find in any case. Where'd you dig them up?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:43 am

DerekPadula wrote:I'm not interested in the tapes, but someone else may be. Good find in any case. Where'd you dig them up?
I think he means the footage that was recorded off TV that was found last year.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:24 am

Gonstead wrote:
DerekPadula wrote:I'm not interested in the tapes, but someone else may be. Good find in any case. Where'd you dig them up?
I think he means the footage that was recorded off TV that was found last year.
Indeed i just have the footage recorded off tape splitted in 2 mi think originally it was a whole 80 minutes one.

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:33 am

諸行無常・・・・・・・
Last edited by takarajima on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 am

I've seen the first episode thanks to takarajima, and am very surprised by the accuracy of the script. Sexual humors and nudity are censored, but Lena, I mean Bulma makes a reference to death. It's a shame that they produced only five episodes.