Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:22 am

kei17 wrote:Mine has been shipped! As soon as I get it, I'll make a Kikuchi score version. :mrgreen:
Oooh, can't wait to see that! :D

Man, I wish I had the funds to buy the DVD right now. X_x; Guess I'm going to have to wait for the eventual English release.

User avatar
Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 am

kei17 wrote:Mine has been shipped! As soon as I get it, I'll make a Kikuchi score version. :mrgreen:
Speaking as someone who was less than impressed by the actual score to Battle of Gods, I find this idea quite appealing.

So anyway, as my copy still appears to be stuck in a warehouse on the other side of the country... or alternately is in the process of being brought to Akita, I dunno... but anyway, did anyone catch whether the BluRay is region-locked or not? I didn't immediately see any region-coding info in that unboxing video, but that might have just been due to the blurriness of the picture.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15306
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:35 am

Very cool videos/photos and thank you for sharing!
Julian, which of those discs has the movie on it? I'd guess either base form Goku or ssjg Goku's disc.
On hiatus.

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:41 am

My copy finally shipped, anyone knows if DHL transfers over to Fedex? As DHL isn't available in my area and I really hope to god it skips usps... they suck.

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:47 am

Sorry to take everyone's focus off the home release, but here's a couple of print ads for the figures:
http://blog.yimg.com/3/KU30HdR7s591rrb7 ... L20vyA.jpg
http://blog.yimg.com/3/KU30HdR7s591rrb7 ... LGip5Q.jpg

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:50 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Julian died a little when he saw yet another Toriyama message in that little booklet. :lol:
Well, I'll just add it to the pile… but I've got quite a large one remaining. They're kind of the things I go to in between my other translations, because if I try to tackle all the BoG stuff at once, it gets too monotonous and I have to stop.

Still, I do think it's kind of funny how Toriyama, known for his reticence with interviews and public appearances, seems like he can't shut up about this movie. Part of it is the publicity aspect, I'm sure, but he seems to have genuinely enjoyed the experience.
Chuquita wrote:Very cool videos/photos and thank you for sharing!
Julian, which of those discs has the movie on it? I'd guess either base form Goku or ssjg Goku's disc.
No problem. :)

The first disc is the one with Goku on it, while the bonus DVD is the Vegeta one.

I enjoyed some of the little filler flyers that came inside the digipack. One of them was for Dragon Ball Z hair wax, and another was advertising the film anime comics (including the re-release of the first Broli movie comic in October).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:00 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Julian died a little when he saw yet another Toriyama message in that little booklet. :lol:
Well, I'll just add it to the pile… but I've got quite a large one remaining. They're kind of the things I go to in between my other translations, because if I try to tackle all the BoG stuff at once, it gets too monotonous and I have to stop.
No rush! It's not like there's anyone else on the internet that can beat you to it. :P

Thanks for the videos too. Were they filmed in your school's computer lab?

It looks as though they've been trucking off some of the bonuses that were given out in theatres. I've seen a few pictures on Twitter of people with the DVD as well as one of the Dragon Radar cases with the pens. By the way, anyone got an idea of what the white thing is? Is it one of those clear files?
http://t.co/9qHDJyL4oK

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Sorry to take everyone's focus off the home release, but here's a couple of print ads for the figures:
http://blog.yimg.com/3/KU30HdR7s591rrb7 ... L20vyA.jpg
http://blog.yimg.com/3/KU30HdR7s591rrb7 ... LGip5Q.jpg
I really like the Chbi ones!

User avatar
worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:33 am
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 am

I know this is pretty much a given, but I really need to know for sure... are there maybe possibly English subtitles? And if so, are they any good?

User avatar
omegalucas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by omegalucas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 am

I saw from the video that the bonus DVD was region 2 (obviously), but what about the Blu-ray? Couldn't spot any logo on the video... is it Region A or Region-free?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

User avatar
Scarz
I Live Here
Posts: 3382
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 am
Location: New York

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Scarz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 am

I've stopped buying DVDs and Blu-rays about a couple of years ago. Now I prefer to either download, stream, or rent movies or tv shows. I don't see a point in owning physical copies of certain things like games, movies, music, etc. But I must admit, I'm a tad bit jealous of those who are getting their BoG copies this month.

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:44 am

worldmonsters wrote:I know this is pretty much a given, but I really need to know for sure... are there maybe possibly English subtitles? And if so, are they any good?
Packaging says there are Japanese subtitles, but nothing about English. Haven't had a chance to actually watch the thing yet. You know how it is with small children at home.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:46 am

Scarz wrote:I've stopped buying DVDs and Blu-rays about a couple of years ago. Now I prefer to either download, stream, or rent movies or tv shows. I don't see a point in owning physical copies of certain things like games, movies, music, etc. But I must admit, I'm a tad bit jealous of those who are getting their BoG copies this month.
For me, physical media just seems alive. I don't know how else to put it. Having an actual movie or game placed inside a case with art from that movie or game is something I love. Displaying it, reading the titles on the side of the case when they're all lined up on a shelf, the synopsis on the back... I love all of this. Also, if your computer or gaming system dies, at least you'll have a back up! :D

User avatar
Scarz
I Live Here
Posts: 3382
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 am
Location: New York

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Scarz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:For me, physical media just seems alive. I don't know how else to put it. Having an actual movie or game placed inside a case with art from that movie or game is something I love. Displaying it, reading the titles on the side of the case when they're all lined up on a shelf, the synopsis on the back... I love all of this. Also, if your computer or gaming system dies, at least you'll have a back up! :D
Funny, because I see physical media as something that will die out. I used to love owning copies of my favorite shows and movies on VHS and DVDs but eventually, in almost less than a decade, it became obsolete. I had to toss them out or sell them to make room for the better, more Hi-Def copies. Eventually I realized that not even Blu-Rays will last that long and buying them just seemed like a waste of time, space, and money. But that's not saying that owning digital copies is the perfect option, It has its downsides. Most people love the feeling of actually owning physical copies of whatever it is that they love. Personally, I love owning art books. But as my bookshelf, work room, and desk are being filled to the brim with books, I know that eventually that feeling of owning physical copies when I don't need to will pass. I'll probably move on to owning the digital copy of those books too eventually.

Digital copies are cheaper, easier to store, and with cloud services you can hold own to your copy for a very, very long time. Even if your computer crashes or if you need a newer model, you'll still have access to most (if not all) of your downloads.

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5563
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by B » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm with Tanooki on that one. Cloud services are just that; services. They could be gone, for whatever reason, tomorrow. With a physical item in my hands, I know that I truly have it forever. Of course, I don't just buy things willy-nilly; if you're going to make the permanent investment of things like long-running TV shows, they better be the ones you love.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18922
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Physical media won't die out, especially for specialty items like Japanese animation which require such high prices to be created in the first place.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:33 pm

My order is now in CINCINNATI OH, and was given a release by customs (at least that's what the website tracking says)
If it's handed over to fedex I'll probably have it on Saturday, if it's UPS it'll be late Monday.

I'm going to be watching the extras first than the movie.

User avatar
BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here
Posts: 2103
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:47 pm

As mood killing to most of us as the prospect is, would anyone importing have the means to screencap the Blus? Just as a sample?
Scarz wrote:Digital copies are cheaper, easier to store, and with cloud services you can hold own to your copy for a very, very long time. Even if your computer crashes or if you need a newer model, you'll still have access to most (if not all) of your downloads.
Or you can rip from physical media and get best of both worlds. Aside from the packrat thing, Blu-Ray ripping being costly, and backing up your back ups being on your shoulders, not the providers. Still worth it.

I know, super dubious territory, but I've been ripping a lot my own purchased DVDs and game discs recently, and the convenience of having both is wonderful; can watch a movie on a computer without a disc, can watch a disc on a television without having to hook up the computer, etc.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

User avatar
Scarz
I Live Here
Posts: 3382
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 am
Location: New York

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Scarz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Physical media won't die out, especially for specialty items like Japanese animation which require such high prices to be created in the first place.
Okay, physical media won't die out completely. I just see a gradual shift in the way people are buying movies, games, and books now. There are plenty of people like I've mentioned before who prefer physical copies of tv shows, games, etc. But we're living in an age where digital copies are so easily accessible and cheap that it sort of makes you question why you need to physical copy in the first place. Especially when there will always be a newer, better version of it out in probably a less then a decade.

Netflix, Steam, and Amazon Instant video are just few places that comes to mind that offers great services without have to blow all your money on the physical copies. My family and I have gradually switched to owning most of our movies digitally or just renting them as opposed to buying blu-rays. We still get the same experience but for less of the cost.
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Or you can rip from physical media and get best of both worlds. Aside from the packrat thing, Blu-Ray ripping being costly, and backing up your back ups being on your shoulders, not the providers. Still worth it.

I know, super dubious territory, but I've been ripping a lot my own purchased DVDs and game discs recently, and the convenience of having both is wonderful; can watch a movie on a computer without a disc, can watch a disc on a television without having to hook up the computer, etc.
Having both a physical and digital copy is obviously the best of both worlds! But I personally don't rip my DVDs or games. Maybe because I'm lazy. Plus, I own devices which allows me to connect my computer to my tv wirelessly, so I can access my media files without having to hook up my computer to my tv.

User avatar
KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6473
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois.

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Scarz wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Physical media won't die out, especially for specialty items like Japanese animation which require such high prices to be created in the first place.
Okay, physical media won't die out completely. I just see a gradual shift in the way people are buying movies, games, and books now. There are plenty of people like I've mentioned before who prefer physical copies of tv shows, games, etc. But we're living in an age where digital copies are so easily accessible and cheap that it sort of makes you question why you need to physical copy in the first place. Especially when there will always be a newer, better version of it out in probably a less then a decade.

Netflix, Steam, and Amazon Instant video are just few places that comes to mind that offers great services without have to blow all your money on the physical copies. My family and I have gradually switched to owning most of our movies digitally or just renting them as opposed to buying blu-rays. We still get the same experience but for less of the cost.
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Or you can rip from physical media and get best of both worlds. Aside from the packrat thing, Blu-Ray ripping being costly, and backing up your back ups being on your shoulders, not the providers. Still worth it.

I know, super dubious territory, but I've been ripping a lot my own purchased DVDs and game discs recently, and the convenience of having both is wonderful; can watch a movie on a computer without a disc, can watch a disc on a television without having to hook up the computer, etc.
Having both a physical and digital copy is obviously the best of both worlds! But I personally don't rip my DVDs or games. Maybe because I'm lazy. Plus, I own devices which allows me to connect my computer to my tv wirelessly, so I can access my media files without having to hook up my computer to my tv.
I enjoy both but prefer physical media if I had to choose. Need;ess to say every anime dvd/bluray I have bought, I rip it to my computer or one of my terabyte hard drives. For physical media a good bookshelf works fine be it for books and/or discs. I've had no issue finding space for my stuff so I cant relate to storage woes. For the real big stuff (think Skyrim and Uncharted 3 collector sets) I turned my closet into one big display piece and can access everything with ease.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Post Reply