BOG inconsistencies/changes

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: BOG inconsistencies/changes

Post by bleed0range » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Gohan was drunk, even if he was more powerful... it's not enough to fight off Beers/bills and considering he was out of it in the first place because he was drunk, it probably affected his fighting and power even more so.

I am confident Beers is only hit by Vegeta because he is surprised by his sudden outburst regarding Bulma and there IS a good side to Beers, so he probably let him have a few blows before saying "nope... you're still nothing."

Beers toys with how powerful he is or isn't constantly. SSJ God was the only actual form that gave him any real challenge and the only time he put up a true fight.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:If Goku requires to use a ki as an anchor, then I wonder if it's possible he can just use his OWN ki as an anchor, thus allowing him to move shorter distances.
That might actually be what he does when he teleports away from one of Pure Boo's attacks, but remains in the same place (charging the Genki Dama).
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:15 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote: High Speed Combat

Image.
Slightly offtopic, but I dearly miss the sense of speed the characters had back then. They seem so slow now....

Anyway, one of the things I would change is some of the characters appearances. Why doesn't Gyumao have any grey hair? Shouldn't he be at least 60-70 years old by now? :lol:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:06 am

CashmanX wrote:

Image.
Slightly offtopic, but I dearly miss the sense of speed the characters had back then. They seem so slow now....
I agree with you! That's one of the main reasons that Perfect Cell vs FPSSJ Kakarotto fight is my favorite! Pure Boo vs SSJ3 Goku is sometimes fast too!

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 pm

CashmanX wrote:

Image.

Anyway, one of the things I would change is some of the characters appearances. Why doesn't Gyumao have any grey hair? Shouldn't he be at least 60-70 years old by now? :lol:

Videl has visibly aged as far as "anime aging" is concerned. Goten and Trunks will likely remain at the same height and go through a growth spurt some time between 15 and 18 just like Goku and Gohan did. But honestly I'm not too worried about aging characters every time they have a 3-5 year time skip...its a lot of micromanaging.

As far as actual inconsistencies are concerned, I am a bit concerned at the inclusion of a reference to Vegeta's brother because if the special is canon then all of the glaring plot holes from THAT special taint THIS movie as far as canon goes (not the least of which was Vegeta's certainty that only 4 pure-blooded Saiya-jin survived the destruction of Vegetasei, and the apparant age gap that suggests that Table was born after the planet was blown up. I mean they had to resort to a low class warrior's wayward son to get reinforcements, when there was a perfectly good royal blooded one running around? This is the kind of stuff that continuity editors need to be cognizant of)

That having been said, its possible that the reference to a brother could refer to a completely different character altogether. If that is the case, then it's kosher as far as I'm concerned.
"You dont need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:18 pm

aarondirebear wrote:As far as actual inconsistencies are concerned, I am a bit concerned at the inclusion of a reference to Vegeta's brother because if the special is canon then all of the glaring plot holes from THAT special taint THIS movie as far as canon goes (not the least of which was Vegeta's certainty that only 4 pure-blooded Saiya-jin survived the destruction of Vegetasei, and the apparant age gap that suggests that Table was born after the planet was blown up. I mean they had to resort to a low class warrior's wayward son to get reinforcements, when there was a perfectly good royal blooded one running around? This is the kind of stuff that continuity editors need to be cognizant of).
None of those are a problem unless you want to get super nitpicky.

-Tarble was exiled from planet Vegeta. Vegeta being as proud as he was when he first appeared, it's not a stretch to assume something like this was running through his mind: "Tarble isn't fit to share my royal blood. I have no brother. He's not even worthy to be called a Saiyan. Weak as he was, he probably didn't last a day on whatever rock they sent him to anyway."

-As for Tarble's age, what suggests anything about him being born post destruction? It's not like he's an actual kid, as we know, Saiyans retain their youth for an extremely extended period of time. He's just happens to be extremely short.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Basically when it comes to Saiyans, Tarble is the race's Krillin.

Also, 1,000th post baby!
Last edited by KentalSSJ6 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Krillin was actually competent as a fighter up until the fight with Freeza where every villain at that point and forward on into the story was dimensions above the hopeless romantic which thus deemed him "useless".

Tarble however, was a whus from birth.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:45 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Basically when it comes to Saiyans, Tarble is the race's Krillin.
So Tarble is actually pretty badass and just doesn't get the respect he deserves because he's outshined by everyone else around him so often? Huh, you think you know a guy, but...

:P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:36 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Basically when it comes to Saiyans, Tarble is the race's Krillin.
Wait, Tarble is the strongest Saiyan?! :wtf:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:39 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
aarondirebear wrote:As far as actual inconsistencies are concerned, I am a bit concerned at the inclusion of a reference to Vegeta's brother because if the special is canon then all of the glaring plot holes from THAT special taint THIS movie as far as canon goes (not the least of which was Vegeta's certainty that only 4 pure-blooded Saiya-jin survived the destruction of Vegetasei, and the apparant age gap that suggests that Table was born after the planet was blown up. I mean they had to resort to a low class warrior's wayward son to get reinforcements, when there was a perfectly good royal blooded one running around? This is the kind of stuff that continuity editors need to be cognizant of).
None of those are a problem unless you want to get super nitpicky.

-Tarble was exiled from planet Vegeta. Vegeta being as proud as he was when he first appeared, it's not a stretch to assume something like this was running through his mind: "Tarble isn't fit to share my royal blood. I have no brother. He's not even worthy to be called a Saiyan. Weak as he was, he probably didn't last a day on whatever rock they sent him to anyway."

-As for Tarble's age, what suggests anything about him being born post destruction? It's not like he's an actual kid, as we know, Saiyans retain their youth for an extremely extended period of time. He's just happens to be extremely short.
They stay at their PRIMES for an extended period of time.
"You dont need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:49 pm

You mean Tarble is stronger than Goku, and can totally wipe the floor with all the saiyans at once, yet fanboys insist he isn't and that Toriyama is senile?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:54 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
You mean Tarble is stronger than Goku, and can totally wipe the floor with all the saiyans at once, yet fanboys insist he isn't and that Toriyama is senile?
Sure, lets go with that.
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:52 pm

aarondirebear wrote:They stay at their PRIMES for an extended period of time.
You're arguing semantics here, but if that's the point you're picking to debate out of the whole post, then most information chooses to use "youth" (below). This seems like the better choice because they also tend to remain fairly young looking in their early years for an extended period of time as well; Goku remained almost the size of Oolong until he was at least 15.
Daizenshuu 4 wrote:Growth
In order to fight, their youth is long.
In order to win in battle, they have evolved to have a long youth, when physical strength is greatest. Their lifespan is about the same as that of an Earthling.
Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume wrote:Saiyan aging
Next Toriyama is asked whether Saiyans are always young. As a fighting race they stay young for a long time in order to maintain their power, but Toriyama explains that their actual lifespan isn’t much different than Earthlings, and they quickly deteriorate after a certain age. Toriyama adds that Saiyan hair style still changes with age, and that Nappa went bald. Like with Earthlings, hair composition various from person to person.
Once they hit adulthood, in-universe, their physical appearance never changes over the course of the story that we see (without a transformation) and they do remain in their prime for most of the rest of their life. We know this because there are plenty of times where Bluma and Chi Chi complain about it seeming like Goku and Vegeta never age in comparison to them. That said, Tarble is not like the other Saiyans. He is a scrawny runt not suited for fighting. It's honestly not that hard to believe he's an adult; especially when looking at Kuririn, who I think is actually shorter than Tarble in the special.

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:33 am

I watched BoG last night. One thing that stood out to me is Bulma saying she as 38. She should 45 if this takes place five years after Kid Buu died. Of course that could easily be explained by Bulma lying about her true age since some women do that.
Last edited by Karrit on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:30 am

Karrit wrote:I watched BoG last night. One thing that stood out to me is Bulma saying she as 38. She should 45 if this takes place five years after Kid Buu died. Of course that could eadilly be explained by Bulma lying about her true age since some women do that.
Or she asked Shenron-Shenlong to be younger :lol:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:27 pm

I found another error from Toei's part. Toriyama drew both base & God Goku with red ribbons in his boots.

But while Toei kept the red ribbons for Super Saiyan God, they didn't keep them for Goku's other forms...

James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:35 pm

bleed0range wrote:Gohan was drunk, even if he was more powerful... it's not enough to fight off Beers/bills and considering he was out of it in the first place because he was drunk, it probably affected his fighting and power even more so.

Wow, I never even considered the fact that Gohan was intoxicated :wtf: . That actually makes things fit a lot better.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:40 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
bleed0range wrote:Gohan was drunk, even if he was more powerful... it's not enough to fight off Beers/bills and considering he was out of it in the first place because he was drunk, it probably affected his fighting and power even more so.

Wow, I never even considered the fact that Gohan was intoxicated :wtf: . That actually makes things fit a lot better.
I think we all know how Gohan is when hes drunk if you take Dead Zone into account.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:42 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:

I think we all know how Gohan is when hes drunk if you take Dead Zone into account.
Kuririn's lucky he didn't get peed on again.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)