Worst Dragon Ball game of all time?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Re: Worst Dragon Ball game of all time?

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:15 am

Roland_ELoG wrote:Put on your best commercial announcer voice and scream out:

"Coming soon to Dragon Ball Heroes..... SUPER SAIYAN FOURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MISTER SAAAAAAAAAAAATANNNNNNNNNN!"

It's just wacky weirdness. Could be much better if it furthered the story a bit, or followed alongside Dragon Ball Online (!).
There wouldn't be much of a difference in chest hair.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:03 am

I see Heroes as its own separate thing, nothing thats really supposed to continue the story or even be closely linked. Its just.. there. So the wonky ideas don't really bother me. Except if I dont like the design or something.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Mmm I dont even play 50% of Dragon Ball's games, but personaly I liked Final Bout, It was my reason for buy the PSOne. There was three DBZ games in that CD: Final Bout, Legends and UB22, the last one was very bad, at least FB have 3D graphics.

I also play one for dress a guy with Dragon Ball's custom (Yeah, I was a little boring that day), does it count?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:SSj3 is the most popular transformation
Really? I thought SSJ was the most popular transformation.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:44 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:SSj3 is the most popular transformation
Really? I thought SSJ was the most popular transformation.
I always thought it went:
SSJ
SSJ 2(ONLY FOR KID GOHAN)
SSJ3
USSJ
ASSJ
SSj4
SS God
SSj2(Anyone not named Gohan)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 pm

I remember SSj3 being a fan favorite for having the cool long hair. It seems like it's the most popular which is why DBH has milk that form so much. So far, they never milked SSj4 yet or the past SSj forms.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember SSj3 being a fan favorite for having the cool long hair. It seems like it's the most popular which is why DBH has milk that form so much. So far, they never milked SSj4 yet or the past SSj forms.
DBH has to milk SSj3 because everyone is already a SSJ and no one loves SSj2. So SSj is more popular but SSj3 got a HUGE fanbase.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:59 pm

It's just that Dragon Ball Heroes is a perfect example of cynical company executives thinking the masses will eat anything up. It's using assets from 10+ years ago, and has the most creatively bankrupt "original" ideas the franchise has probably ever seen. The worst part is that they've been justified in doing this.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:15 pm

I think some people take DBH way too seriously. It's just a simple arcade game with no story and none of these character expect for SSj Bardock appear outside the video games.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think some people take DBH way too seriously. It's just a simple arcade game with no story and none of these character expect for SSj Bardock appear outside the video games.
You are wrong. It currently has 2 manga series based on the game, and it also has a story that just started getting interesting.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:27 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I think some people take DBH way too seriously. It's just a simple arcade game with no story and none of these character expect for SSj Bardock appear outside the video games.
You are wrong. It currently has 2 manga series based on the game, and it also has a story that just started getting interesting.
2 manga series?! Whats the second one. I know victoty road...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:36 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
2 manga series?! Whats the second one. I know victoty road...
Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission, and Dragon Ball Heroes: Rookie Charisma Mission. We only have one chapter so far from the 2nd manga, and I'm not sure every when or in which magazine we get that (Episode 0 came as an extra in last months Saikyo Jump), but DBH:VM comes every month with V-Jump.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:44 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Well yeah, those manga have hardly any plot to them from what I can remember.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Well yeah, those manga have hardly any plot to them from what I can remember.
The first 3 chapter, yes. But now it does have a normal, on-going plot.

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Is it more involved than:

"Hey, I collect Dragon Ball cards."
"I also collect Dragon Ball cards."
"Awesome let's fight!"
*out of context fight scene ensues*

Because you can replicate that effect with any of the Sparking games. Two random characters, walking down that one road where everything near a road seems to happen... drawn together by fate.
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:17 am

Roland_ELoG wrote:Is it more involved than:

"Awesome let's fight!"

Because you can replicate that effect with any of the Sparking games. Two random characters, walking down that one road where everything near a road seems to happen... drawn together by fate.
I begun introducing the main characters, then it had a tournament arc, and now, during a 2nd tournament arc, a doctor tried to gather the Dragon Balls inside the game (which sends the players back in time) because the Dragon Balls disappeared a long time ago in the real-world (most likely because Goku left with them), but he accidentally gathered the Dragon Balls during the time of GT, meaning the cracked Dragon Balls, and he summoned the Evil Dragons, who have now polluted every Age that the game has covered with minus energy. So, the main characters must now defeat the Evil Dragons, because if they don't, the minus energy will eventually reach the real-world, and the Evil Dragons will escape, which would mean the end of the universe.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Roland_ELoG wrote:Is it more involved than:

"Awesome let's fight!"

I begun introducing the main characters, then it had a tournament arc, and now, during a 2nd tournament arc, a doctor tried to gather the Dragon Balls inside the game (which sends the players back in time) because the Dragon Balls disappeared a long time ago in the real-world (most likely because Goku left with them), but he accidentally gathered the Dragon Balls during the time of GT, meaning the cracked Dragon Balls, and he summoned the Evil Dragons, who have now polluted every Age that the game has covered with minus energy. So, the main characters must now defeat the Evil Dragons, because if they don't, the minus energy will eventually reach the real-world, and the Evil Dragons will escape, which would mean the end of the universe.
Ugh. I hate when video game manga-anime connects to the real world. "Oh gosh! If we don't destroy this then the real world is destroyed!". So not original and so over dramatic. That killed any enjoyment I had for the manga.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:26 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Ugh. I hate when video game manga-anime connects to the real world. "Oh gosh! If we don't destroy this then the real world is destroyed!". So not original and so over dramatic. That killed any enjoyment I had for the manga.
I should mention that the "real-world" is not our real-world, it's the Dragon World we saw in the manga/anime (there is Capsule Corp., a Mr. Satan statue, and the DBH video game world seems to be a copy of the real-world past (since they time-travel to fight in a specific mission, and there are even real Dragon Balls inside the game), but altered for the purposes of the game.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Ugh. I hate when video game manga-anime connects to the real world. "Oh gosh! If we don't destroy this then the real world is destroyed!". So not original and so over dramatic. That killed any enjoyment I had for the manga.
I should mention that the "real-world" is not our real-world, it's the Dragon World we saw in the manga/anime (there is Capsule Corp., a Mr. Satan statue, and the DBH video game world seems to be a copy of the real-world past (since they time-travel to fight in a specific mission, and there are even real Dragon Balls inside the game), but altered for the purposes of the game.
Of course it's not our real world. I think it's pretty damn obvious that it's the DragonWorld. No need to explain :roll: . I'm saying that it's a cheap plot element in almost EVERY Videogame-manga-anime.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:23 pm

I view DBH as a AU. It would be impossible for anyone to make a video game based on the past events in the DB universe into a video game where the general public had no idea what was going on. Piccolo Daimo, Piccolo during the 23rd TB, Cell and Buu were the only villains that the General Public remembers and knows about. In the anime, the news reporters did saw Nappa and Vegeta, but that was never brought up ever again in the show otherwise people at the Cell Games would have remember Vegeta as the evil Alien Invader from a few years back.
She/Her