Characters that don't interact for long stretches.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DefectiveV

Characters that don't interact for long stretches.

Post by DefectiveV » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:27 pm

On a rewatch of Z Kai, I noticed that many characters do not interact, or see each other for the majority of the series.
For example, Goku does not see Tien or Yamcha ALIVE from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Tournament until he returns back from Yardrat!
Anyone have any other examples?

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Characters that don't interact for long stretches.

Post by Angelus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Yeah, Chiaotzu and Goku is never seen talking to each other on screen. Ever. lol

Also, Goku has never seen Bora and Upa ever since after Bora was resurrected although Bora and Upa are right below Korin's Tower. Goku only speaks to them through King Kai in the Buu saga when Goku was asking everyone on Earth for their energy.

Goku also has never spoken or seen Launch since the end of the Saiyan saga. Even on screen, you don't see Goku and Launch interact in the OVA Son Goku and Friends Return! although both are in the party.

And Baba has never spoke to Goku ever since King Piccolo's defeat. Not until Goku was to come back to the living world for 24 hrs in the Buu saga. Which is what, almost 20 years? lol

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Angelus wrote:Also, Goku has never seen Bora and Upa ever since after Bora was resurrected although Bora and Upa are right below Karin's Tower. Goku only speaks to them through King Kai in the Buu saga when Goku was asking everyone on Earth for their energy.
Actually, Goku returns to Karin Tower in the Piccolo arc and talks to both Bora and Upa. Bora even throws Goku and Yajirobe up the tower.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Angelus wrote:Also, Goku has never seen Bora and Upa ever since after Bora was resurrected although Bora and Upa are right below Karin's Tower. Goku only speaks to them through King Kai in the Buu saga when Goku was asking everyone on Earth for their energy.
Actually, Goku returns to Karin Tower in the Piccolo arc and talks to both Bora and Upa. Bora even throws Goku and Yajirobe up the tower.
Oh yeah!!! I forgot that part!!

superkakarrot2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by superkakarrot2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Vegeta never interacts with Yajirobe after the Saiyan arc.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Bulma still never got her wish of interacting with Freeza. Goten never interacted with Vegeta after and Before Majin Vegeta. Mostly did off screen.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Bulma still never got her wish of interacting with Freeza. Goten never interacted with Vegeta.
Goten interacted with Vegeta when Vegeta knocked him and Trunks out.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Bulma still never got her wish of interacting with Freeza. Goten never interacted with Vegeta.
I'm pretty sure Vegeta's the one who carried him out of Buu as well. Although I'm not sure if that qualifies as "interacting."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Bulma still never got her wish of interacting with Freeza. Goten never interacted with Vegeta after and Before Majin Vegeta. Mostly did off screen.

I know. I said post and before Majin Vegeta xD.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm pretty sure Vegeta's the one who carried him out of Buu as well. Although I'm not sure if that qualifies as "interacting."
I took as in the topic starter meant as in talking to each other

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:36 am

Well, Goten does talk to Vegeta. He grabs him and asks why the hell he beat the crap out of Trunks.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, Goten does talk to Vegeta. He grabs him and asks why the hell he beat the crap out of Trunks.
I said POST Majin Vegeta and Pre Majin Vegeta.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:44 am

Wow, I never thought about how Gokuu didn't see Tenshinhan or Yamucha from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai all the way to his arrival from Namek/Yardrat.

As for Vegeta and Goten; I remember Goten calling (Majin) Vegeta "uncle" before being knocked out. I can't remember if this was a fan sub or by Steve Simmons but from then on there I kind of always assumed the two had somewhat of a relationship; even if it was probably one sided on Goten's end.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:46 am

Do Piccolo and Yamcha ever interact?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:52 am

Goten and Trunks played together as kids, so it's at least very heavily implied Goten had met Bulma and Vegeta many times before the tournament.
Kid Buu wrote:Do Piccolo and Yamcha ever interact?
They trained together both at God's and at Kaio's.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Wow, I never thought about how Gokuu didn't see Tenshinhan or Yamucha from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai all the way to his arrival from Namek/Yardrat.

As for Vegeta and Goten; I remember Goten calling (Majin) Vegeta "uncle" before being knocked out. I can't remember if this was a fan sub or by Steve Simmons but from then on there I kind of always assumed the two had somewhat of a relationship; even if it was probably one sided on Goten's end.
Goten called Vegeta uncle? Pretty sure it's fansubs.

cesarcoronel07
Beyond Newbie

Post by cesarcoronel07 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:02 am

Well Videl rarely interacted with Goku who is her father-in-law

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:21 am

Goku stops from her from running up to fight Spoivich when he's stealing Gohan's energy.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:25 am

And she tells Goku that she doesn't think Gohan is dead at the lookout.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:28 am

Adamant wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Do Piccolo and Yamcha ever interact?
They trained together both at God's and at Kaio's.
Piccolo didn't train with God; I also don't remember them interacting at Kaio's beside filler.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:34 am

superkakarrot2 wrote:Vegeta never interacts with Yajirobe after the Saiyan arc.
Came here to post this. I would have loved to see how a 'reformed' Vegeta would interact with the man who almost killed him.

Vegeta and 18 also don't interact after the Android Saga I think?